• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Big XII to formally explore adding expansion teams

DuckTownHusker

Blackshirt Sith Lord
10 Year Member
Couple articles on the HM front page about the Big XII formally looking at expansion. Of course it doesn't guarantee they WILL expand, but with a formal investigation into the matter I have to think it's almost a foregone conclusion. 10 teams in the conference hurts their chances at the playoffs and bumping back to 12 teams - or 14/16 - would certainly do the trick.

Here's the rub, though. Minus perhaps BYU, all the good teams are gone. Regionally, Colorado, Missouri, A&M and Nebraska left a pretty big vacuum and the list of usual suspects like Memphis, Cincinnati or Houston aren't that big of a catch.

Sounds like this move is more about self-preservation than any plans to dominate the CFB landscape. Guessing they'll just add a couple of sacrificial lambs from the MAC, American or Mt. West to be fodder for Texas and Oklahoma on their way to a playoff berth.

I think they could only pull in little fish at this point anyway. A big school would/should not put up with the Longhorn network.

SMU, Rice, and Houston should join. Time to get the SWC band back together! Too bad Arkansas isn't available anymore, but the spineless leftovers of the Big 8 fill that role nicely.

Couple articles on the HM front page about the Big XII formally looking at expansion. Of course it doesn't guarantee they WILL expand, but with a formal investigation into the matter I have to think it's almost a foregone conclusion. 10 teams in the conference hurts their chances at the playoffs and bumping back to 12 teams - or 14/16 - would certainly do the trick.

Here's the rub, though. Minus perhaps BYU, all the good teams are gone. Regionally, Colorado, Missouri, A&M and Nebraska left a pretty big vacuum and the list of usual suspects like Memphis, Cincinnati or Houston aren't that big of a catch.

Sounds like this move is more about self-preservation than any plans to dominate the CFB landscape. Guessing they'll just add a couple of sacrificial lambs from the MAC, American or Mt. West to be fodder for Texas and Oklahoma on their way to a playoff berth.

Its not like Maryland and Rutgers are good teams either. There is more to it than football.

I heard the primary reason they are doing it is to prevent other conferences from plucking teams away from the Big 12.

Why would that matter? If the Big 12 adds 2-4 teams, that won't stop other power conferences from pillaging it. They will just take the few that are worthy and leave the rest. I just don't think it will matter.

BYU is the only "big school" available. I'm just not sure what they will do. Memphis wants in, so does Houston (Texas won't allow that). Gonna be interesting. Look at all the damage 1 school caused. Amazing.

Why would that matter? If the Big 12 adds 2-4 teams, that won't stop other power conferences from pillaging it. They will just take the few that are worthy and leave the rest. I just don't think it will matter.

BYU is the only "big school" available. I'm just not sure what they will do. Memphis wants in, so does Houston (Texas won't allow that). Gonna be interesting. Look at all the damage 1 school caused. Amazing.
I really think if the B12 is smart they'd add 4 schools taking Central and South Florida as 2 of the 4 ... BYU is a big name but for so many reasons they just don't fit starting with location, lack of a travel partner ...

I do think they'll try and do something for West Virginia such as adding Cincinnati or UConn.

An interesting name out there that initial feels outlandish but Northern Illinois could offer the B12 the Chicago TV market.

What this does mean though IMO is me shakeup for the next tier down ... the AAC, MAC, MWC and other conferences that get raided would in turn look to fill their spots which means another round of "lower tier" movement.

Ultimately might affect conferences like the Missouri Valley ...

The Big 12 Commissioner has been ordered to determine the best teams for expansion. Could be as many as 4.

Memphis, Houston, BYU, and Colorado State. Memphis provides West Virginia with a local rival. Colorado State provides BYU with a local rival, and Houston already has a good location.

Last edited:

Yep! Missouri sure started something. ;)

Last edited:

They can thank Texas for their current status.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back