• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Big XII making an expansion play for...

We all know part of the UNO-UNL deal was allowing Mavs hockey to continue and Husker football to continue without competition from each other.

Still, look at all the rando Michigan and Minnesota schools.

There's not THAT many D1 hockey teams, and I think UNL hockey would be a fantastic addition to the B1G.

I don’t know why the B12 would go after Arizona or ASU with Oregon and Washington out there.

Utah gives BYU a natural rival.

Can‘t take the ‘Zona schools (and CU/UU) and assume the PAC12 continues on in any substantial form.
I agree. Oregon and Washington would be my top targets. They can’t just wait around either. I go hard after them both.

We all know part of the UNO-UNL deal was allowing Mavs hockey to continue and Husker football to continue without competition from each other.

There's not THAT many D1 hockey teams, and I think UNL hockey would be a fantastic addition to the B1G.
Hockey costs too much (have to add women’s hockey if you add men) and the corresponding revenue isn’t worth the investment.

Look at Wisconsin … good to great hockey program … mens and womens hockey combined. Mens hockey made $800k. Women’s hockey lost $1.9M.

Plus the risk that hockey would dilute (attendance, fan support) from the basketball programs is also a real risk.

Hockey costs too much (have to add women’s hockey if you add men) and the corresponding revenue isn’t worth the investment.

Is that a hockey-specific thing? I thought Title IX simply said that there needs to be roughly an equal number of athletic opportunities at a university. So a school could add a men's golf team and offset that with a women's gymnastics team, etc.

Obviously, many sports can serve both genders without too much effort (see: tennis court, swimming pool), but certain sports are essentially gender-exclusive (see: football), or they require separate fields (baseball vs softball).

I didn't think they had to be exact 1-to-1 copies of the same sport.

Last edited:

Is that a hockey-specific thing? I thought Title IX simply said that there needs to be roughly an equal number of athletic opportunities at a university. So a school could add a men's golf team and offset that with a women's gymnastics team, etc.

Obviously, many sports can serve both genders without too much effort (see: tennis court, swimming pool), but certain sports are essentially gender-exclusive (see: football), or they require separate fields (baseball vs softball).

I didn't think they had to be exact 1-to-1 copies of the same sport.
Technically schools do not have to have 1-for-1 copies of the same sports but there are

(1) some synergies if you add both … facilities, support personnel and so forth,

(2) there is the possibility of title IX ramifications when you add an “expensive“ mens sport and offset it with an “inexpensive” women’s sport. Not sure on the technicalities but if I was strictly a women’s sport advocate I could make that argument.

(3) Finally there is the challenge of having equitable numbers … if mens hockey has 25 players women’s hockey needs 25 or more. Finding a women’s sport, not already funded, to match that I think would be difficult.

Last edited:

Look at Wisconsin … good to great hockey program … mens and womens hockey combined. Mens hockey made $800k. Women’s hockey lost $1.9M.

Plus the risk that hockey would dilute (attendance, fan support) from the basketball programs is also a real risk.
I am a season ticket holder for BB but wonder if they should cut basketball and start up a hockey program. Other than the Nee era Nebrasketball has not been good.

I am a season ticket holder for BB but wonder if they should cut basketball and start up a hockey program. Other than the Nee era Nebrasketball has not been good.
I understand the imbedded sarcasm and I’m sure you know this but the revenue-cost deferential for bball far outweighes hockey’s potential.

What Men's sport would you cut or Women's sports would you add? Hockey is pointless in the big picture as far as NU is concerned.

I understand the imbedded sarcasm and I’m sure you know this but the revenue-cost deferential for bball far outweighes hockey’s potential.
Revenues can be good for hockey,but equipment and arena costs run high, similar to football.
Start with both mens and womens teams

Revenues can be good for hockey,but equipment and arena costs run high, similar to football.
Start with both mens and womens teams
Isn’t PBA ice ready? I don’t think arena costs would be a huge hurdle. Equipment and staffing would be a heavy lift, however.
Couldn’t they add field hockey for women? I believe that many other Big Ten schools include it.
Just food for thought…

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back