• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Big Ten Officiating - Another viewpoint!

LarstheRed

Travel Squad
10 Year Member
That was a bit of a gut punch. We got some great looks, and only needed 1 more to fall. The officials were not good, but overall the B1G is seen as having the weakest group of core officials of all the major conferences. We need to be able to play through that, and I thought the guys did a decent job of keeping their focus, though Walker did have some challenges in keeping his head after a couple of iffy calls and non calls.

I’m interested to see the moves on this roster going forward, and I think some of the substitution rotation the last few games is a good indicator of who Fred thinks he can build on, and how they may fit.

1615243538001.png

As coordinator of the NCAA’s men’s basketball officiating program, Adams assisted the Division I Men’s Basketball Committee with the selection and evaluation of officials for the championship. He also provided national leadership of officials, conference coordinators, regional advisors of officiating and coaches in the effort to bring increased consistency in the calling and enforcement of NCAA men’s basketball playing rules and points of emphasis.

I found this pretty amusing as a general feeling towards B1G officiating.

Okay, haven't followed college BB the past few years. Started watching the huskers the past few of this year, and got stuck...literally stuck on the Ia./wisc game for the last 10 minutes (okay, 1.5 hrs). So this is what I've been missing. The officiating was terrible down the ssssttttrrrreeeettttcccchhhh. How to turn over the channel. Watched NW make a quick bunch of 3's and turned off the tv. Replay? really? why even have a couple of zebras on the court is all they are going to do is watch gilligan reruns on the sideline and then make some stupid call.

Thinking this topic may deserve it's own thread @LarstheRed. :nod:

(And a tip-o-the-hat! :Salute:)

If the B!G officials have such a bad reputation maybe it will take the AD's of the schools to get together to make a concerted effort to get better, or at least consistent, officiating.

During his tenure, Adams refined the officials’ evaluation form, which is used by several conferences during the regular season to allow for more consistency in grading officials across the country. In addition, he was instrumental in developing online educational videos that aided officials with proper mechanics and interpretations. Adams also created the standards that are used for officials to be eligible to work the championship. Since 2009, 58 officials have made their tournament debut, and 12 others called their first Final Four.

Thinking this topic may deserve it's own thread @LarstheRed. :nod:

(And a tip-o-the-hat! :Salute:)

If the B!G officials have such a bad reputation maybe it will take the AD's of the schools to get together to make a concerted effort to get better, or at least consistent, officiating.
I'm not saying B1G basketball officiating is bad, but I saw one of the B1G crews working a third grade rec basketball game last weekend. The parents from both sides let the air out of the refs tires after the game.

That was a bit of a gut punch. We got some great looks, and only needed 1 more to fall. The officials were not good, but overall the B1G is seen as having the weakest group of core officials of all the major conferences. We need to be able to play through that, and I thought the guys did a decent job of keeping their focus, though Walker did have some challenges in keeping his head after a couple of iffy calls and non calls.

I’m interested to see the moves on this roster going forward, and I think some of the substitution rotation the last few games is a good indicator of who Fred thinks he can build on, and how they may fit.
I admire the team for playing hard and gutting it out, through an unbelievable schedule (due to Covid). I'd love to have a consistent roster for 2 years in a row, but know we'll see players change teams like cards in a poker game. It's like Fred had two '1st' years of coaching at Nebr. Wonder who and how many will leave.

Last edited:
I guess the uneven officiating is Just the Price we have to pay to keep getting the Big Bucks from the Big Ten.

Exhibit Z yesterday - The PSU big dude got away with far too much ... (which, evidently is Ped State tradition)

Go Badgers
Nothing new! Maybe, all the refs give him a long leash and are old Detroit Piston fans???

Last edited:

Nothing new! Maybe, all the refs give him a long leash are old Detroit Piston fans???
Good thought, the bad boys... Laimbeer, Mahorn, Rodman, Salley, Dumars... time flies.

Perhaps... as all I know is it seemed pretty obvious State Penn got away with rough stuff (yet another PSU tradition) :oops:;)

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back