• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Big Ten moving towards Playoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

wcbsas

All Big 10
20 Year Member
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/12/08/bcs-aq-bids.ap/index.html?sct=hp_t2_a6

I actually find this a bit humrous ... I'm OK with removing conference automatic qualification status of the BCS bowls as long as my conference gets a tie-in with the Rose Bowl.

Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany says he would be fine with the elimination of automatic bids to the Bowl Championship Series as long as his league gets to play in the Rose Bowl.

Delany was taking part in IMG's Intercollegiate Athletics Forum on Wednesday along with Atlantic Coast Conference Commissioner John Swofford, Conference USA Commissioner Britton Banowsky and Mountain West Conference Commissioner Craig Thompson.

The commissioners and presidents who control the BCS are in the early stages of determining the future of major college football's controversial postseason system.

Among the many possible changes is eliminating automatic bids to the highest-paying bowl games and having the BCS set only the matchup for the No. 1 vs. No. 2 national championship game.
Banowsky says automatic-bid status has become divisive.

I'll never understand this desire to only play in the Rose Bowl. Cost Washington in 1991, Penn St. in 1994, ASU in 1996, Michigan in 1997 chances to play for an outright national championship.

Well.... moving to 12 teams and having a CCG moved them into a playoff scenario.

I love the Big Ten and the league's traditions. However, at times it would appear that the leadership's desire to preserve tradition is actually resistance to change. The Rose Bowl is a great tradition and has a rich history, but if given the choice of playing in the Rose Bowl or winning a National Title, I'll pick the NT every time.

The landscape of college football has changed considerably in the last 20 years. Just look at the final standings from 1990:

ACCBig 8Big TenPac-10SECSWC
1Georgia TechColoradoMichiganWashingtonFloridaTexas
2ClemsonNebraskaMichigan StUSCTennesseeHouston
3VirginiaOklahomaIllinoisOregonOle MissTexas A&M
4MarylandIowa StIowaCalAlabamaBaylor
5North CarolinaKansasOhio StArizonaAuburnRice
6NC StateKansas StMinnesotaUCLAKentuckyTCU
7DukeMissouriIndianaStanfordLSUTexas Tech
8Wake ForestOklahoma StN'westernArizona StGeorgiaArkansas
9xxxxPurdueWashington StMiss. StSMU
10xxxxWisconsinOregon StVanderbiltxx

<tbody>
</tbody>

Every one of those conferences has added expansion teams (or in the case of the SWC, folded).

And check out all the (25) independents: Louisville, Florida State, Miami, Notre Dame, Penn State, La.Tech, So.Miss, Temple, Syracuse, Army, No.Illinois, South Carolina, Virginia Tech, East Carolina, Navy, Memphis, Boston College, Tulane, West Virginia, Akron, Arkansas St., Pitt, Rutgers, Tulsa, Cincinnati.

Regardless of your feelings on a playoff, the BCS or bowl arrangements and conference alignment, the one constant in college football is change. I hope the Big Ten is smart enough to realize when to adapt and when to hold fast.

According to ESPN:

Every time Nebraska finished the regular season undefeated, they either won the National Title -- or their opponent did (a la 1994 Florida State, etc.).

I'll never understand this desire to only play in the Rose Bowl. Cost Washington in 1991, Penn St. in 1994, ASU in 1996, Michigan in 1997 chances to play for an outright national championship.

Yet another reason I'm not all that thrilled with NU being in the Big 10.

Heard a guy on the radio today say that watching Delaney talk today was like watching an old man explain an IPad. Dude is out of touch and living in the past...a major impediment to a real play-off system. I truly believe that as long as the Big 10 and Pac 12 still played in the Rose Bowl every year he'd be fine with being shut out of a playoff system if that's what everyone else wanted to do.

Yet another reason I'm not all that thrilled with NU being in the Big 10.

Heard a guy on the radio today say that watching Delaney talk today was like watching an old man explain an IPad. Dude is out of touch and living in the past...a major impediment to a real play-off system. I truly believe that as long as the Big 10 and Pac 12 still played in the Rose Bowl every year he'd be fine with being shut out of a playoff system if that's what everyone else wanted to do.

however, unlike those years the BIG team that is in position to play for the MNC would go to the BCS title game these days as opposed to the mandatory ticket to the Rose

Not sure I understand the thread title? Seems like it should be "Big Ten an impediment to a playoff."

Last edited:
Why can't you playoff lovers just watch the FCS or Pro football? Seriously, I like the bowl system, regardless of the fact that I'm not going to watch the disgusting display that is this years BCS championship game. I absolutely don't want to see the relevance of the regular season diminished as it obviously would be by a 16, 12 or even 8 team play off.

That said, I wouldn't be totally opposed to any and all "updating." I personally like the idea of the Bowl games being relevant again by doing a plus one post bowl games. I think it would be pretty brilliant to just revote the BCS as after all of the bowl games with their traditional tie-ins and have a title game. You could even do a "final four" have the regular bowls, recalculate the BCS and then pick the top 4 teams to go. It would actually make more bowls relevant and a greater amount of regular season games relevant to the national title picture. It would allow teams like 2010 TCU to have a shot at the big game, while simultaneously preserving the traditions of the bowls and the relevance of the regular season. Finally, it wouldn't shake up the status quo of "haves and have nots" to the point of the situation becoming unlikely to come about.

Why can't you playoff lovers just watch the FCS or Pro football? Seriously, I like the bowl system, regardless of the fact that I'm not going to watch the disgusting display that is this years BCS championship game. I absolutely don't want to see the relevance of the regular season diminished as it obviously would be by a 16, 12 or even 8 team play off.

That said, I wouldn't be totally opposed to any and all "updating." I personally like the idea of the Bowl games being relevant again by doing a plus one post bowl games. I think it would be pretty brilliant to just revote the BCS as after all of the bowl games with their traditional tie-ins and have a title game. You could even do a "final four" have the regular bowls, recalculate the BCS and then pick the top 4 teams to go. It would actually make more bowls relevant and a greater amount of regular season games relevant to the national title picture. It would allow teams like 2010 TCU to have a shot at the big game, while simultaneously preserving the traditions of the bowls and the relevance of the regular season. Finally, it wouldn't shake up the status quo of "haves and have nots" to the point of the situation becoming unlikely to come about.

Why can't you dinosaurs inderstand that the regular season would not be diminished by a playoff system? It would make much more of the season relevant.

And yes...I will be watching some FCS playoff football...outside of 1 game these are the only meaningful college football games remaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back