• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

Big Ten Coaches Talk Anonymously

Cornjob

Recruit
I can't imagine any coach coaching four seasons while not caring about winning and wanting to be fired. If that's the case, he was truly a detriment to the team.

What I saw was a coach who was more suited for the Big 12 than the Big Ten. Our defenses were not nearly as good in the Big Ten as they were in the Big 12. Granted, a lot of that was due to the talent level when Bo left not being quite what it was when he got there. But physical run attacks were the way to beat Bo. And he was very fortunate the Big Ten was not nearly as good when he coached as it is now.
Being the lone new team in the Big 10 is a difficult position. Your staff has to game plan de novo for every conference game on the schedule, while your opponents are playing a conference schedule of teams they already know fairly well, plus one new team...the Huskers. UCLA and USC are going to have a similar challenge in a couple years.

Pelini didn't get the support he needed from his bosses, but he also made things difficult on himself with his demeanor. I think that was all forgivable under the right circumstances. But the way he poisoned the players against the incoming staff (or tried to) at his departure was inexcusable and very unprofessional. It provided confirmation that the decision to fire him was probably justified. I remember being very disappointed at his reaction, since at the time I was pretty sympathetic to keeping him.

Husker In Oklahoma

All American
15 Year Member
We've all had bosses we've worked for that we didn't care for ... if that causes you to come into work and intentionally perform less than your best than the issue is not your boss it is YOU. Can a good boss make your job easier and more successful? Absolutely, but to give less than your best because you consider your boss(es) a fool reflects more on your character than their character.
I’m guessing none of us, have 10 million dollar buyouts. That makes a difference. Bo wanted fired. It was there for everyone to see. I personally, refuse to believe all those blowouts were given top shelf prep. Going thru the motions. He didn’t suddenly get stupid, I’ll tell you that.

Husker In Oklahoma

All American
15 Year Member
I can't imagine any coach coaching four seasons while not caring about winning and wanting to be fired. If that's the case, he was truly a detriment to the team.

What I saw was a coach who was more suited for the Big 12 than the Big Ten. Our defenses were not nearly as good in the Big Ten as they were in the Big 12. Granted, a lot of that was due to the talent level when Bo left not being quite what it was when he got there. But physical run attacks were the way to beat Bo. And he was very fortunate the Big Ten was not nearly as good when he coached as it is now.
Believe what you want, but me, I don’t think the man was stupid. He wanted out. Easiest way? You draw your own conclusions.

To add, I never said he didn’t care about winning. He won, just, imo, not like he could have. Dude wanted fired to collect a huge buyout, which he eventually did. Frankly, I’m surprised it took as long as it did. I don’t believe he sabotaged, but I don’t believe for one second that all was put into it. I don’t think he wanted to give Nebraska anything his last 3 years here. He absolutely hated it. I also don’t think the BIG was not as good then either. Wisconsin was better then than they are now. The rest were the same. Ohio State won the NC in 2014. Bo played in that conference, he knew what that conference was. He was also a guy that wouldn’t take any crap. He was an, I’ll show you type of guy. There is no other way to explain all those blowouts. In fact, Nebraska had better talent often. You can rationalize it any way you want, but that dude wanted the money and wanted out of Nebraska. You can’t quit.

Last edited:

SavageHusker

Red Shirt
5 Year Member
Believe what you want, but me, I don’t think the man was stupid. He wanted out. Easiest way? You draw your own conclusions.

To add, I never said he didn’t care about winning. He won, just, imo, not like he could have. Dude wanted fired to collect a huge buyout, which he eventually did. Frankly, I’m surprised it took as long as it did. I don’t believe he sabotaged, but I don’t believe for one second that all was put into it. I don’t think he wanted to give Nebraska anything his last 3 years here. He absolutely hated it. I also don’t think the BIG was not as good then either. Wisconsin was better then than they are now. The rest were the same. Ohio State won the NC in 2014. Bo played in that conference, he knew what that conference was. He was also a guy that wouldn’t take any crap. He was an, I’ll show you type of guy. There is no other way to explain all those blowouts. In fact, Nebraska had better talent often. You can rationalize it any way you want, but that dude wanted the money and wanted out of Nebraska. You can’t quit.
I don’t think Bo wanted to get blown out. I think his defense didn’t work in the BIG. He lost his composure in games and his team fell apart.

Husker In Oklahoma

All American
15 Year Member
I don’t think Bo wanted to get blown out. I think his defense didn’t work in the BIG. He lost his composure in games and his team fell apart.
Like I’ll say again, believe what you feel. The man didn’t suddenly forget defense. I don’t think the effort was all there, and it went from there. Then it was like f it.

BleedinHuskerRed

Scout Team
5 Year Member
We were 95th in turnover margin! Combine that with horrible ST play and guess what.... you have a 3-9 season. Fix those two things and we've got a decent chance at having a winning season imo. We BEAT OURSELVES time and again which had to mentally drain players and coaches. That absolutely needs to stop and it had better start Game 1 or we could have another crappy season. To say nothing of what happens with HC Scott Frost if that occurs.

100%. Those 2 things need to be resolved first and immediately. That would at least get us to bowl eligibility, and breathing room to focus on fixing the many other (but not quite as glaring) issues.

wcbsas

All Big 10
15 Year Member
I’m guessing none of us, have 10 million dollar buyouts. That makes a difference. Bo wanted fired. It was there for everyone to see. I personally, refuse to believe all those blowouts were given top shelf prep. Going thru the motions. He didn’t suddenly get stupid, I’ll tell you that.
I am not arguing that he was trying to get fired. I’m arguing that him doing so, if that is/was the case, because he didn’t like his boss(es) is a bad reflection upon his character.

My assertion is completely speculative. And was in response to a suggestion that he was trying to get fired. Trying to get fired (if that is/was the case) is one thing personally but when it affects hundreds of other people (players, coaches, staff) there is significant ramifications on his decision making and character.

I am probably more along the lines of HWM that FHCBP wasn’t trying to get fired but rather he was over his head schematically, due to switch from B12 to B1G. His overall recruiting and roster replenishment had leveled off and his hands-off approach with the offense left an important facet of the game in the hands of less than capable people. Lastly his reliance on a Martinez fellow (who couldn’t stay healthy) also affected performance (sound familiar?).

Husker In Oklahoma

All American
15 Year Member
I am not arguing that he was trying to get fired. I’m arguing that him doing so, if that is/was the case, because he didn’t like his boss(es) is a bad reflection upon his character.

My assertion is completely speculative. And was in response to a suggestion that he was trying to get fired. Trying to get fired (if that is/was the case) is one thing personally but when it affects hundreds of other people (players, coaches, staff) there is significant ramifications on his decision making and character.

I am probably more along the lines of HWM that FHCBP wasn’t trying to get fired but rather he was over his head schematically, due to switch from B12 to B1G. His overall recruiting and roster replenishment had leveled off and his hands-off approach with the offense left an important facet of the game in the hands of less than capable people. Lastly his reliance on a Martinez fellow (who couldn’t stay healthy) also affected performance (sound familiar?).
Fair to say we disagree. No worries. Schematically is definitely not the case.

wcbsas

All Big 10
15 Year Member
Fair to say we disagree. No worries. Schematically is definitely not the case.
Did you watch the Dec 1, 2012 B1G championship game against Wisconsin?

Melvin Gordon had 9 rushes for 216 yards. Montee Ball had 202 yards rushing and James White had 109 yards rushing.

I understand one game does not a career make but this was a worse beat down than the 2001 Rose Bowl against arguably the greatest team in CFB history. Wisconsin was an 8-6 football team that year!

And FWIW I could’ve instructed the defense on how to handle the jet sweep after their first rushing attempt.

Last edited:

NorthwoodHusker

All Big 10
2 Year Member
Did you watch the Dec 1, 2012 B1G championship game against Wisconsin?

Melvin Gordon had 9 rushes for 216 yards. Montee Ball had 202 yards rushing and James White had 109 yards rushing.

I understand one game does not a career make but this was a worse beat down than the 2001 Rose Bowl against arguably the greatest team in CFB history. Wisconsin was an 8-6 football team that year!

And FWIW I could’ve instructed the defense on how to handle the jet sweep after their first rushing attempt.
Did he watch MSU destroy Bos defense creating new records?

Husker In Oklahoma

All American
15 Year Member
So, if not for Covid SF would have won the natty?
You get out of here with that thinking.

You mention something preposterous, so will I.
He didn’t get a spring practice. Totally different things. Not preposterous at all. It’s the truth. What you said is borderline non thinking, to be nice about it.

Last edited:
Visit the Sports Illustrated Husker site