• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Big Ten CCG: Nebraska vs Wisconsin Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
"It got out of hand.

Playnig the way we did - I didn't expect that.

the things that happened out there weren't because of steinkuhler.

defense - 11 guys on the same page - that didn't happen. we played these same plays in lincoln.

there wasn't much new. It's on me. (playing the marytr?)

It's not indicative of the foundation of this program.

Q: your goal was to win the conf championship?
A: we failed. i'm responsible.

Dirk and Bo with a little back-and-forth about whether this was an aberration or "indicative of the foundation of the program"

I would say that this has happened too many times to be considered an aberration. Dirk knew the answer to the question before he even asked it.

Bo's press conference was as devoid of insight as all of his pressers in the past. The reporters by and large try to give him soft questions, and he gives them nothing. I wish he seemed to have some grasp of what happened. He probably does, but his refusal to provide any explanation (other than "we didn't execute") just reinforces the impression that he has no answers for the team during the game.

Calling this game ugly is like referring to the Grand Canyon as a pothole.

Last edited:

I would say that this has happened too many times to be considered an aberration. Dirk knew the answer to the question before he even asked it.

Yep, Ref. I sensed that Dirk was sort of baiting Bo (very softly, of course).

Bo was trying not to be ************.

Bo's press conference was as devoid of insight as all of his pressers in the past. The reporters by and large try to give him soft questions, and he gives them nothing. I wish he seemed to have some grasp of what happened. He probably does, but his refusal to provide any explanation (other than "we didn't execute") just reinforces the impression that he has no answers for the team during the game.

.I agree. It makes him look clueless...which he was.

What more do you expect the HC to say after a loss? Should he have reviewed the game film prior to the presser to say "On that 3rd and 7 from the 42, Ankrah moved inside 2 feet too much exposing the gap that he had responsibility for, which kept Fisher from getting out to tackle Ball"??

Seriously...I have seen other coaches pressers and they don't give you much. Its all heat of the moment stuff.

Last edited:
Final game thoughts.</SPAN>

I don’t know what to say other than I am absolutely sick to my stomach.</SPAN>

I don’t think I have ever been as disappointed in a football team as I am tonight.</SPAN>

Our program took a huge step back tonight. A huge step backwards.</SPAN>

What an embarrassing lack of performance. The football world was laughing at us tonight.</SPAN>

This team did not come ready to play. That was obvious. But what is so stunning, is that absolutely no one showed up ready to play.</SPAN>

Someone once said, winners find a way to win, and losers find ways to lose. Tonight these guys played like losers from start to finish.</SPAN>

Now, I am not happy with our coaching staff right now. But I am going to put that aside for the moment. These guys did not come ready to compete tonight. That is on the players.</SPAN>

Right off the bat, Wisconsin scores on a ridiculously easy TD drive that featured unbelievable missed tackles and just plain “vacating” of entire areas of the field by NU defenders.</SPAN>

Senior Damian Stafford mightily whiffs on his first two tackle attempts. Am I to believe that Pelini is such a bad coach that Stafford forgot how to tackle during the last week?</SPAN>

Stafford’s eyes were doing pinwheels as he floundered to the ground and let his responsibility run past him. But that’s okay, let someone else do it. Of course, another missed tackle later, there was no one else there. Easy-peezy, TD Wiscy.</SPAN>

Wisconsin ran the same basic sweep play and there was never anyone there. Okay, our coaches stink. But am I to believe that our defensive gameplan consisted of absolutely no one to be on the outside on any play?</SPAN>

I think it is more probable that someone was supposed to be there but for some reason, the moment was too big for them. So play after play, they allowed themselves to get sucked inside and ah shucks, no one else come over to bail them out.</SPAN>

This game could have been 170-32. It was easy for Wisconsin. A High School team couldn’t have been any easier to run on.</SPAN>

Now, we missed Baker Steinkuhler. We missed him more than most Husker fans understand. But perhaps, we missed his leadership as much as his talents.</SPAN>

I could go on and on, but honestly that would show more effort than I saw from our players out there.</SPAN>

A couple of years ago, I warned about some bad habits we showed early in the year. I warned that those habits don’t just go away. They will come back to bite us later on. Not rocket science of course, but for some fans, they just didn’t understand the negativity at the time. I remember that conversation so well even a few years later.</SPAN>

Well our bad habits bit us tonight. Yet another rematch where our players failed to show up for round 2.</SPAN>

Yet another moment where the other team took it to us and we looked shocked and surprised (remember UCLA?).</SPAN>

Laying down against Washington a couple of years ago in the Bowl Game still lingers in my mind. You have to play every down and every game. You cannot pick and choose when you play hard.</SPAN>

I guess we could fire all of our coaches . . . again. That is what many fans want to see happen. After a performance like this, I have to admit they have valid concerns. But I just wonder what the magic formula is to get our players to understand that coming out of the lockerroom in a daze and expecting it to be easy, or expecting your teammate to pick you up when you take the easy way out just is not acceptable.</SPAN>

Thank goodness no one got hurt in that sloppy fourth quarter or that there wasn’t an embarrassing fight or major incident.</SPAN>

Small victories.</SPAN>

I worry about the Bowl Game. Is anyone going? Are any fans going to be excited? Will the players pull a Washington and just sit this one out. Do they have any fight left?</SPAN>

The program took a mighty step back tonight.</SPAN>

Where do we go from here?</SPAN>

I’m at a loss.</SPAN>

Take care all.</SPAN>

Last edited:

Final game thoughts.</SPAN>

I don’t know what to say other than I am absolutely sick to my stomach.</SPAN>

I don’t think I have ever been as disappointed in a football team as I am tonight.</SPAN>

Our program took a huge step back tonight. A huge step backwards.</SPAN>

What an embarrassing lack of performance. The football world was laughing at us tonight.</SPAN>

This team did not come ready to play. That was obvious. But what is so stunning, is that absolutely no one showed up ready to play.</SPAN>

Someone once said, winners find a way to win, and losers find ways to lose. Tonight these guys played like losers from start to finish.</SPAN>

Now, I am not happy with our coaching staff right now. But I am going to put that aside for the moment. These guys did not come ready to compete tonight. That is on the players.</SPAN>

Right off the bat, Wisconsin scores on a ridiculously easy TD drive that featured unbelievable missed tackles and just plain “vacating” of entire areas of the field by NU defenders.</SPAN>

Senior Damian Stafford mightily whiffs on his first two tackle attempts. Am I to believe that Pelini is such a bad coach that Stafford forgot how to tackle during the last week?</SPAN>

Stafford’s eyes were doing pinwheels as he floundered to the ground and let his responsibility run past him. But that’s okay, let someone else do it. Of course, another missed tackle later, there was no one else there. Easy-peezy, TD Wiscy.</SPAN>

Wisconsin ran the same basic sweep play and there was never anyone there. Okay, our coaches stink. But am I to believe that our defensive gameplan consisted of absolutely no one to be on the outside on any play?</SPAN>

I think it is more probable that someone was supposed to be there but for some reason, the moment was too big for them. So play after play, they allowed themselves to get sucked inside and ah shucks, no one else come over to bail them out.</SPAN>

This game could have been 170-32. It was easy for Wisconsin. A High School team couldn’t have been any easier to run on.</SPAN>

Now, we missed Baker Steinkuhler. We missed him more than most Husker fans understand. But perhaps, we missed his leadership as much as his talents.</SPAN>

I could go on and on, but honestly that would show more effort than I saw from our players out there.</SPAN>

A couple of years ago, I warned about some bad habits we showed early in the year. I warned that those habits don’t just go away. They will come back to bite us later on. Not rocket science of course, but for some fans, they just didn’t understand the negativity at the time. I remember that conversation so well even a few years later.</SPAN>

Well our bad habits bit us tonight. Yet another rematch where our players failed to show up for round 2.</SPAN>

Yet another moment where the other team took it to us and we looked shocked and surprised (remember UCLA?).</SPAN>

Laying down against Washington a couple of years ago in the Bowl Game still lingers in my mind. You have to play every down and every game. You cannot pick and choose when you play hard.</SPAN>

I guess we could fire all of our coaches . . . again. That is what many fans want to see happen. After a performance like this, I have to admit they have valid concerns. But I just wonder what the magic formula is to get our players to understand that coming out of the lockerroom in a daze and expecting it to be easy, or expecting your teammate to pick you up when you take the easy way out just is not exceptable.</SPAN>

Thank goodness no one got hurt in that sloppy fourth quarter or that there wasn’t an embarrassing fight or major incident.</SPAN>

Small victories.</SPAN>

I worry about the Bowl Game. Is anyone going? Are any fans going to be excited? Will the players pull a Washington and just sit this one out. Do they have any fight left?</SPAN>

The program took a mighty step back tonight.</SPAN>

Where do we go from here?</SPAN>

I’m at a loss.</SPAN>

Take care all.</SPAN>

Thanks HIO, I know that wasn't easy for you to write but as usual you make good and valid points. Not much else to say other then I will be at the bowl game somewhere here in Florida and I really hope to the HUSKERS waste no time in putting this miserable debacle behind them.

Thanks HIO, I know that wasn't easy for you to write but as usual you make good and valid points. Not much else to say other then I will be at the bowl game somewhere here in Florida and I really hope to the HUSKERS waste no time in putting this miserable debacle behind them.

Thanks mj. I know how much you and your positive mojo are hurting right now. I guess for me, it isn't the game but just the sense that we still aren't learning the lessons we need to learn to move on and get better. We have been here before. If the team learns from this, if they finally get it thru their heads, that they cannot continue to make these same mistakes, then I would gladly accept tonight as just one of those nights and move on. We shall see but we have been here before.

I think I am going to disappear from the board for a few days.

Thanks mj. I know how much you and your positive mojo are hurting right now. I guess for me, it isn't the game but just the sense that we still aren't learning the lessons we need to learn to move on and get better. We have been here before. If the team learns from this, if they finally get it thru their heads, that they cannot continue to make these same mistakes, then I would gladly accept tonight as just one of those nights and move on. We shall see but we have been here before.

I think I am going to disappear from the board for a few days.

That's the key HIO, "if the team learns from this", we can only hope that they will. The coaches and the players have to be hurting too with this brutal beating on national television, hopefully lessons are learned and problems and mistakes worked on and fixed. As soon as possible too.

Last edited:
Would love a compilation of:
Kenny Bell's block
Stafford's hit on Abberdaris
UW's dive at Taylor's legs
The bodyslam of Taylor
The H2H against Taylor late in the 3rd as he was running out of bounds

maybe I missed one?

Ok..I see now...I saw the taylor body slam, but missed all the others I think...that just makes the pill more bitter to swallow...

There needs to be a major headshrinking for everybody from Bo to the waterboys.

Do you prefer some crazy chemicals, or just go directly for the electro-shock?

I would like to see Bo with his hair standing straight out. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back