• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Big Ten bound?

You gotta think about the long-term ramifications of this. Grabbing OU and Texas is as much preemptive as it is expansionist. Yes, it's a great financial move, but it's also an SEC-killing move. If the Big Ten DOESN'T grab OU and Texas, guess what? The SEC will.

If the SEC goes to 16 teams, the ACC and B1G will have to follow suit. And remember that our other would-be suiter -- Notre Dame -- is already locked up into the ACC. All their non-football/non-revenue sports are already in the ACC and they currently share a whackjob New Years Bowl arrangement with the ACC, where bowl selectors essentially pick an ACC and/or Irish team to fill their slots. Notre Dame is basically the Puerto Rico of the ACC. It's all but a done deal.

So, the ACC legitimizes the Irish Shotgun Wedding and perhaps grabs someone like Cincinnati or maybe UCF.

What does that leave the Big Ten with?

Baylor? TCU? Iowa State?

Kansas is marginally non-barfy consolation prize, but they'd likely come coupled with KSU in that state and really the Jay-Cat combo doesn't move the needle much. It's a certain failure against the SEC swindling OU and Texas and the ACC grabbing the Golden Domers.

Delaney is FAR too shrewd to lose this chess game. If he preemptively grabs OU and Texas, he cuts off the SEC at the knees. The Irish go ACC anyway -- they were never gonna be an SEC team -- and it forces the SEC into a couple of terrible moves. They either double down on the Lonestar State with TCU/Baylor/Tech or grab what, Oklahoma State? UCF is a rising star, but they're no Gators.

The most likely move here is an SEC raid of the ACC, grabbing a pair that includes FSU, Miami, Clemson, UNC and/or Virginia Tech. The Tar Heels and Hokies open up two new states into the footprint and the SEC has been VERY strong about not wanting to repeat states they already "own." Really, the only way they would even consider doubling up is for a blue blood like Texas, FSU or Miami. MAaaaayybe Clemson.

West Virginia is still a wild card. They either fill a gap in the ACC or maybe there's an outside chance the SEC makes a play. But the Mountain State doesn't really bring any new television sets (do West Virginians even HAVE cable?) and it certainly doesn't bring any recruiting ground. The Mountaineers have made a push in recent years, but they're still a bridesmaid and not the Sooner/Horn/Irish Bride in this whole mess.

So yeah. We take Texas and let the Buckeyes castrate them.

and a "no horns down" clause for every conference game :Rolleyes:

jwj-UT-Fans-3.jpg
I think Husker fans would love to give Longhorns the ‘horns down’ gesture. Either that or “horns up “ with a third finger also up (yep, middle one). I don’t think B1G would let UT get away with running the conference.

Last edited:
I know one thing, I despise Texas as much now as I ever did with their smug, arrogant HC Tom Herman. I can’t stand that jerk.

He's the grown man who makes fun of 20-year old kids. He must feel so special.

Sounds like he needs some friendly advice from the other Orange Big XII team:

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Texas is a cancer. OU would be a great add but they've hitched their boomer schooner to the horns so it's hard to imagine them joining unless it's as a package deal. UT might bring a lot of TV's but is it worth the trouble they bring?

Remember when they were talking about OU and TU joining the Pac 12. I see the same problems here as they had then. One, Texass already owns a league and a network and doesn’t have any desire to give them up. Two, OU is joined at the hip with OSU and can’t go anywhere without them and nobody wants OSU.

If OU goes somewhere we are not required to drag little brother with us.

Not sure if this has been discussed previously, but how does Disney buying out Fox affect BTN/Fox networks? Will Disney soon own ESPN/ABC/SEC/BTN/ACC/PAC12/Longhorn Network?

I like that it would move or expand our recruiting base further south by increasing our exposure.

I like that the BIG is thinking a few moves ahead.

I like that the move the BIG is considering is the same move the SEC is probably considering and that we're trying to beat them to it.

I like that we would have the SEC and ACC surrounded geographically so to speak.

I like that it adds more football blue blood to the conference.

I like NU-OU every year again.

It's a lot to like.

Not sure if this has been discussed previously, but how does Disney buying out Fox affect BTN/Fox networks? Will Disney soon own ESPN/ABC/SEC/BTN/ACC/PAC12/Longhorn Network?

Disney agreed to sell off Fox's regional sports networks in order to get the deal approved by the Justice Department.

Edit: My mistake. The regional sports networks do not include BTN. It will remain part of Fox Broadcasting, along with Fox Sports 1 and 2.

Last edited:
I'm all for it. It feels like we're little brother in a conference dominated by OSU and Michigan for over s century. This would very much widen the playing field, renew NU-OU and expand the recruiting footprint. And as people have mentioned, a move ahead of the SEC. What's not to like? There's no way the BIG would let Texas continue their self-centered ways.

This is the conference that worked hand-in-hand with the NCAA and law enforcement to end Sandusky, JoePa and Tressell Tattoo-gate. The Big Ten may be prideful, but we don't abide cheaters and crooks.

If Texas joins, they'll be on a short leash.

You gotta think about the long-term ramifications of this. Grabbing OU and Texas is as much preemptive as it is expansionist. Yes, it's a great financial move, but it's also an SEC-killing move. If the Big Ten DOESN'T grab OU and Texas, guess what? The SEC will.

If the SEC goes to 16 teams, the ACC and B1G will have to follow suit. And remember that our other would-be suiter -- Notre Dame -- is already locked up into the ACC. All their non-football/non-revenue sports are already in the ACC and they currently share a whackjob New Years Bowl arrangement with the ACC, where bowl selectors essentially pick an ACC and/or Irish team to fill their slots. Notre Dame is basically the Puerto Rico of the ACC. It's all but a done deal.

So, the ACC legitimizes the Irish Shotgun Wedding and perhaps grabs someone like Cincinnati or maybe UCF.

What does that leave the Big Ten with?

Baylor? TCU? Iowa State?

Kansas is marginally non-barfy consolation prize, but they'd likely come coupled with KSU in that state and really the Jay-Cat combo doesn't move the needle much. It's a certain failure against the SEC swindling OU and Texas and the ACC grabbing the Golden Domers.

Delaney is FAR too shrewd to lose this chess game. If he preemptively grabs OU and Texas, he cuts off the SEC at the knees. The Irish go ACC anyway -- they were never gonna be an SEC team -- and it forces the SEC into a couple of terrible moves. They either double down on the Lonestar State with TCU/Baylor/Tech or grab what, Oklahoma State? UCF is a rising star, but they're no Gators.

The most likely move here is an SEC raid of the ACC, grabbing a pair that includes FSU, Miami, Clemson, UNC and/or Virginia Tech. The Tar Heels and Hokies open up two new states into the footprint and the SEC has been VERY strong about not wanting to repeat states they already "own." Really, the only way they would even consider doubling up is for a blue blood like Texas, FSU or Miami. MAaaaayybe Clemson.

West Virginia is still a wild card. They either fill a gap in the ACC or maybe there's an outside chance the SEC makes a play. But the Mountain State doesn't really bring any new television sets (do West Virginians even HAVE cable?) and it certainly doesn't bring any recruiting ground. The Mountaineers have made a push in recent years, but they're still a bridesmaid and not the Sooner/Horn/Irish Bride in this whole mess.

So yeah. We take Texas and let the Buckeyes castrate them.

Puerto Rico of the ACC :Rolf:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back