• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Big Red Media Days Contingent

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you might be going out on a limb here to compare TM to TF with respect to the media. Tommy was a Communications major so he was at least prepared somewhat to deal with the media. Also Tommy never did have to defend a loss like Wisconsin or Michigan. ;) Another point is that I perceive them to be very very different personalities. From what I have read about TM, he is a very private person and some of the players close to him have said that he is almost bashful or shy and that is often confused with aloofness or even arrogance. IIRC, when he started as a freshman, he was so soft spoken the coaches had to teach him to call out the plays with more volume in the huddle to make sure everybody heard the play.

Tommie had the confidence to go in and take charge. Taylor hasn't shown that yet. I hope he does at some point.

The other point about Frazier and Martinez is that they are worlds apart in the respect fans have for them. I am going to guess that there is probably nothing that TM could say that would change some peoples mind about what type of quarterback he is. My gut feeling is that he feels as though the only way to change anyone's mind on that topic is to do it on the field. That is why he is dedicating so much time, effort and money to improve.

I think that people would actually like to hear it from him for a change. I'm not just concerned about his footwork or his throwing motion... what kind of a person is he? Is he wanting to take a leadership role? Has he done so? We hear from his teammates, but never from him.

There are some that enjoy the spotlight and others that cringe at the prospect. You mentioned fear and that is dead on if by that you meant fear of speaking publicly. That is my perception of Taylor Martinez with respect to the media. He has enough on his plate without the burden of trying to convince the media and critics that he is a really good guy. And like Hutto already mentioned, can you imagine the presser if he was one of the three. It would be turned into a sideshow with the guys wanting to get a headline from him on his "improvement" over the summer. I think Bo anticipated a fiasco and wisely avoided that confrontation by taking the guys that like the limelight.

I think that this type of sideshow could have been avoided if Taylor had made himself more available over the last two seasons. If he has a problem with public speaking, now is the time to work on it. His "job" is secure right now... it may not be when he enters the real world. I don't know what he plans on doing with his life, but he's majoring in Advertising. I am guessing there will be some interaction with the public (as well as clients/bosses) in that line of work.

I think that people would actually like to hear it from him for a change. I'm not just concerned about his footwork or his throwing motion... what kind of a person is he? Is he wanting to take a leadership role? Has he done so? We hear from his teammates, but never from him.

Agreed. Taylor tends to come off as very surly in press conferences. I would also like to hear from him what he is doing to become a better QB and team leader.

Like I said, there is little Taylor or anyone else for that matter, including myself, can say to change the mindset or the attitude of his critics. They all say they hope he will get better but I am not sure of the sincerity nor the confidence that they believe anything will change.

What he is doing has given me hope and I have to believe that there will be a change.

You have your opinion about his leadership capabilities and it is pointless to argue that also. I coached HS ball for 21 years and know there are many different styles of leadership. Some are not comfortable with the public exhibition of those skill and others are. We have absolutely no way of knowing for sure if his leadership strategy is effective. I have to put my faith in what I have read about his relationship with others on the team and I have not seen anything but positive remarks about him from his peers. That is the key issue and we will all be able to make a judgement about his leadership skills in a few short months by the product that is put on the field. You may be one of those who feel that he will never get any better than what we have already seen. I am not buying into that until I have evidence which supports that POV.

And as I said at the beginning of this discussion, I do not think his appearance at this circus has anything to do with his leadership of his team.

Like I said, there is little Taylor or anyone else for that matter, including myself, can say to change the mindset or the attitude of his critics. They all say they hope he will get better but I am not sure of the sincerity nor the confidence that they believe anything will change.

What he is doing has given me hope and I have to believe that there will be a change.

You have your opinion about his leadership capabilities and it is pointless to argue that also. I coached HS ball for 21 years and know there are many different styles of leadership. Some are not comfortable with the public exhibition of those skill and others are. We have absolutely no way of knowing for sure if his leadership strategy is effective. I have to put my faith in what I have read about his relationship with others on the team and I have not seen anything but positive remarks about him from his peers. That is the key issue and we will all be able to make a judgement about his leadership skills in a few short months by the product that is put on the field. You may be one of those who feel that he will never get any better than what we have already seen. I am not buying into that until I have evidence which supports that POV.

And as I said at the beginning of this discussion, I do not think his appearance at this circus has anything to do with his leadership of his team.

I agree with you. I did not realize that the Big 10 Press Conference was hazardous duty where only the brave volunteered. Also, we do not know the final selection process...maybe he did volunteer, but it was decided to send the three that are going. Maybe he wanted to go, but felt that the focus would be too much on him and not on the team.

Of course, if he does go to media days and acquit himself well, then his critics will be criticizing him for not passing it up to work on his throwing mechanics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back