• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Big news out of Gopher country

I think we start seeing more of this type of stuff. I don't think it get to the point that we have 30 guys a year sitting. But I can see 5-6 guys every year saying I won't improve my draft status by playing so I am not going to risk it.

It will be interesting what the NFL teams do and how they react. I guess my gut questions (especially going forward) is why opt out of your last season but not declare for the draft a year early. Will be interesting.

They will be at full strength. I equate this to wishing we played XX team before their star player graduated. Things happen. Im pretty sure nobody cared when we lost our best returning threat...ever.
That’s a good point. I’m N.

It will be interesting what the NFL teams do and how they react. I guess my gut questions (especially going forward) is why opt out of your last season but not declare for the draft a year early. Will be interesting.
They cannot enter the draft until they are three years out of high school. This is per the NFL/NFLPA So they
Collective Bargaining Agreement. That is why it is legally binding. Bateman was two years out of high school in spring of 2020.

I believe it is normal graduation class date based. So early graduation (by a semester) would not help. I don't think there is an age component (say a kid is held back a year or even two somewhere along the way). It really forces kids to be on campus for three football seasons before being draft eligible. There are very few players that would really likely be drafted that high two years out.

Last edited:

Seems like if they signed with an agent, especially before the initial schedule change, they shouldn't be allowed to come back.

Yes, but it looks like they are allowing the ASU punter Turk who opted out in Jan, went through the draft, didn't get drafted, and now is back at ASU to have his 2 years of eligibility back. So, it appears that due to COVID (that is their excuse) that it will be a free for all this year.

Yes, but it looks like they are allowing the ASU punter Turk who opted out in Jan, went through the draft, didn't get drafted, and now is back at ASU to have his 2 years of eligibility back. So, it appears that due to COVID (that is their excuse) that it will be a free for all this year.
Yeah, that's why I'm :Bananalazy: .

Sucks when our team is committed to working together to fight through the Covid obstacles, and other guys who opted out (& signed with an agent) before the B1G even abbreviated the schedule, are allowed to come back. But I guess anything goes this year.

Edit: I've always been a "we want to play them at their strongest" guy. But while we're trying to rebuild, it sucks to have to play everyone at their strongest... And the schedule isn't doing us any favors either.

Last edited:

While they may have wavered on the punter, that was a long time ago when no one knew if there would be a season. Parsons and Bateman made their decisions with the understanding we were still going to have a season and opted out, then signed with an agent, and made posts about prepping for the NFL. Maybe the NCAA will grow even the smallest amount of a backbone, otherwise this will open up a whole can of worms going forward. Besides, both have probably already received impermissible benefits since they signed which is a big no no.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back