• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Big Green Egg

You obviously haven't had my lemon/dill grilled salmon! :stickouttongue:

Smoking, barbecuing ribs, etc - must be done slow to do it right. Spending an hour preparing a charcoal grill for hotdogs - ANY hotdogs - is just plain crazy though!

Ha ha... :thumbsup: Fair enough.

That salmon sounds delicious.

My bro-in-law has a BGE and he, and others, have told me its hard to order steak, ribs, brisket, etc at restaraunt s because of how good the BGE makes food taste. He says its easy to use as well. I have been dreaming of owning one and one day I will.

Although, I do see the wisdom in not replacing but adding it as an option.

going to piggyback this question with another--how about the traeger (sp?) grills/smokers? Anyone with experience with them?

I have the Traeger Texas Grill.

I love it; in fact, smoking and grilling meats is my sole interest outside of work now. Incredibly versatile. Absolutely delicious results without having to be an expert. Only drawback of the Texas is that sometimes I have too much surface area if i want to prepare meats for a small group of people.

Last edited:

I have an BGE and I won't own another grill again. The flexibility to smoke, grill, high temp grill, and bake is second to none. I can smoke a pork shoulder one day and cook 1 1/2 inch ribeyes at 700 degrees the next day. I have done 10-12 hour smokes with the egg and only checked the temps every couple of hours. It holds heat amazingly well without drying out the meat. My wife wondered why I was spending so much on a grill and now she never questions the decision. The first two times I cooked a whole chicken there was so much juice left in the meat I wondered if it was done. If you are going to buy the egg and want a table. Don't by the table at the store. If you are handy you can build a nicer table for part of the price. Just google "Big Green Egg table plans." I use it 4-6 times a week and go through a 30 pound bag of natural lump charcoal a month. As you can see, I am very excited about the egg and if you have any questions let me know.

I have a Kamado Joe, it is phenomenal. sold my smoker, and about to pull a very nice gas grill off the deck as it is never used. I can have my Ceramic Joe up and ready to cook in a bit over 10 minutes. It can run 12 hrs at 225 on the dot for an easy 12 hours on probably 4 pounds of charcoal. When it all done just open the vents, charge it up to 500 degrees and it self cleans, so easy.
last Sunday we had friends over and made pizzas, everyone was very impressed, also great for bread. It is basically a wood fired oven at that point, can run 225 or 700 degrees, it is up to you. check out the Eggs and Kamado Joes, they are great . The owners are a little culty, but you will understand why after you cook with it. my wife also questioned my purchase... For about one meal.

I have a Kamado Joe, it is phenomenal. sold my smoker, and about to pull a very nice gas grill off the deck as it is never used. I can have my Ceramic Joe up and ready to cook in a bit over 10 minutes. It can run 12 hrs at 225 on the dot for an easy 12 hours on probably 4 pounds of charcoal. When it all done just open the vents, charge it up to 500 degrees and it self cleans, so easy.
last Sunday we had friends over and made pizzas, everyone was very impressed, also great for bread. It is basically a wood fired oven at that point, can run 225 or 700 degrees, it is up to you. check out the Eggs and Kamado Joes, they are great . The owners are a little culty, but you will understand why after you cook with it. my wife also questioned my purchase... For about one meal.

Thanks everyone for the input.

I think answering new regular grill or a Komado is done. With a new grill, I get a little better cooking. With a Komado, I can take it to another level with wood fire, pizza, smoking, etc.

I went to a local dealer yesterday and they carried the Joe for $779. My Sam's club carries the Egg with base and similar accessories for $899. I liked the cart, thermometer and gasketing on the Joe better and also like the idea of using the local dealer. You are right about the cult of it as getting a review is like an I Phone user accepting the possibility of a Galaxy 4. It seems like the Joe is a little better built and it costs less.

I think it's time to pull the trigger on one.

Thanks everyone for the input.

I think answering new regular grill or a Komado is done. With a new grill, I get a little better cooking. With a Komado, I can take it to another level with wood fire, pizza, smoking, etc.

I went to a local dealer yesterday and they carried the Joe for $779. My Sam's club carries the Egg with base and similar accessories for $899. I liked the cart, thermometer and gasketing on the Joe better and also like the idea of using the local dealer. You are right about the cult of it as getting a review is like an I Phone user accepting the possibility of a Galaxy 4. It seems like the Joe is a little better built and it costs less.

I think it's time to pull the trigger on one.

Enjoy the new grill, RR! I submit that the reason the BGE costs more is due to their more intense marketing. I hear about BGE all the time, but hadn't heard of the Jomado Joe before this thread.

Just went down and got the Kamodo Joe. I noticed some Husker items mixed in with all of the Texas and Texas Tech stuff. The owner saw my husker shirt and said he was friends with Cole Penski's dad and went to a game with them last year. They threw in a husker apron and a cover and delivered the unit for free.

It's a good omen.
Go Big Red.

Just went down and got the Kamodo Joe. I noticed some Husker items mixed in with all of the Texas and Texas Tech stuff. The owner saw my husker shirt and said he was friends with Cole Penski's dad and went to a game with them last year. They threw in a husker apron and a cover and delivered the unit for free.

It's a good omen.
Go Big Red.

Get yourself some high-temp paint and make a "Big Red Egg"?? :Biggrin:

I just felt a chill go down my spine.
Did it suddenly get colder in here?

tom-hanks-gasp.jpg

Get yourself some high-temp paint and make a "Big Red Egg"?? :Biggrin:

Actually, it came in red or black and I got the red.

I have an old red suburban with red interior that I am thinking of making my Husker project as soon as I can be sure to have garage room for it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back