• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Big Green Egg

RedRum

All Big 10
10 Year Member
My wife wants to get me a new grill. I have a large propane grill that doesn't cook that great and also have natural gas connections available. However i was wondering about the BGE.

Is it convenient enough as a main or only grill?
Good as a smoker?
Anyone have luck with similar types?
Other recommendations?

Input on your experience is greatly appreciated.

My wife wants to get me a new grill. I have a large propane grill that doesn't cook that great and also have natural gas connections available. However i was wondering about the BGE.

Good as a smoker?
Other recommendations?

I get the cheapest grill I can that will do the job. Try to get one with a front and back burners - easier to "bake" if air circulates. I use "Charbroil" because you can get them already assembled at Sears and they're cheaper. Why buy a cheap one? The guts are going to rust out eventually regardless of how much you pay.

Good as a smoker?
Other recommendations?

I've heard the BGE is pretty awesome, but I don't have any personal experience with it. I have a Chargriller grill/smoker that my wife bought for my birthday in 2009, and that is one tough SOB. It is charcoal, not gas. In the summer, we grill at least 2-3 times a week on it. It was fairly priced at the Home Depot, plus, anything I've smoked on it has come out AWESOME.

Rust issues are minimal on the cast iron grills, but I also spray them with olive oil cooking spray after about three weeks of use (10 meals, or so). I also spray the interior to minimize issues there. Exterior is weather-worn, but has held up really well, considering I don't have a cover on it in the summer time. Covered only in winter.

If you do get the BGE, I expect reviews, mister... :)

Last edited:
I get the cheapest grill I can that will do the job. Try to get one with a front and back burners - easier to "bake" if air circulates. I use "Charbroil" because you can get them already assembled at Sears and they're cheaper. Why buy a cheap one? The guts are going to rust out eventually regardless of how much you pay.

I have to disagree. I went that route too for years. Charbroil and such would last maybe 2 years. I Went through 4 of them. 11 years ago I spent $450 on a Weber. To this day, there is virtually no flare up, burners are still working perfectly. My basset hound 6 years ago got his chain wrapped around a wheel and drug it down 5 steps off the deck. While the doors in front don't close all the way....the doggone thing still keeps purring. I'll never go back to the cheap ones. In this area (grills) you do get what you pay for.

Last edited:

I have to disagree. I went that route too for years. Charbroil and such would last maybe 2 years. I Went through 4 of them. 11 years ago I spent $450 on a Weber. To this day, there is virtually no flare up, burners are still working perfectly. My basset hound 6 years ago got his chain wrapped around a wheel and drug it down 5 steps off the deck. While the doors in front don't close all the way....the doggone thing still keeps purring. I'll never go back to the cheap ones. In this area (grills) you do get what you pay for.

Basset hounds drool and rule, BTW. I have two of them... great dogs.

When I bought my new grill, I got a few parts for my Weber I was replacing and gave that to my mom. I was visiting and cooked on it and there is a difference in flare-ups. In fact, I have a little camping size portable Weber and will cook on that over my big grill at times because it seems to do a better job.

The BGE, seems like another world. 700 degree sears on charcoals seem pretty incredible. And the ability to smoke easily could replace my electric smoker. I just wonder about the inconvenience of coals.

This thread is making me hungry.

When I bought my new grill, I got a few parts for my Weber I was replacing and gave that to my mom. I was visiting and cooked on it and there is a difference in flare-ups. In fact, I have a little camping size portable Weber and will cook on that over my big grill at times because it seems to do a better job.

The BGE, seems like another world. 700 degree sears on charcoals seem pretty incredible. And the ability to smoke easily could replace my electric smoker. I just wonder about the inconvenience of coals.

This thread is making me hungry.

Coals are fine. I use the Cowboy Hardwood Lump Charcoal. It is all natural, not processed like Kingsford. Of course, there isn't anything wrong with Kingsford, it just comes down to preference. I use the lump charcoal for smoking, that way, the smoke-flavor from the charcoal is minimal, and the smoke from the wood chunks is maximized.

Coals aren't all that inconvenient, as far as I can tell. Just have to get your lighting technique down, and you'll be set.

going to piggyback this question with another--how about the traeger (sp?) grills/smokers? Anyone with experience with them?

My cheap ones usually last at least ten years before rusting out. I cook out every night of the year when possible. Once when the temp was 20 below here in Bellevue, I had to move the grill close to my patio door so I could turn the steak without going outside, but I still cooked on the grill. Ten years ago, I spent $99 for my current grill.

Coals are fine. I use the Cowboy Hardwood Lump Charcoal. It is all natural, not processed like Kingsford. Of course, there isn't anything wrong with Kingsford, it just comes down to preference. I use the lump charcoal for smoking, that way, the smoke-flavor from the charcoal is minimal, and the smoke from the wood chunks is maximized.

Coals aren't all that inconvenient, as far as I can tell. Just have to get your lighting technique down, and you'll be set.

Coals won't get hot enough to cook out every night in Nebraska. Once the temp gets near zero, coals won't work.

In my opinion, you summed it up very well there. BGE is completely different from other grills. I'd not consider REPLACING my gas grill with a BGE, but might well consider one in addition to the gas grill some day. Smoking, slow cooking are really the province of the BGE. Searing - I guess so, but my gas grill has fantastic infrared sear burners, so I'm covered there. I'll have to disagree with Rick though, charcoal IS inconvenient sometimes. There are times where we decide to quickly fire up the grill and cook burgers, chicken breasts, salmon steaks or something else for dinner. Meat's on and cooking within less than 5 minutes of lighting the grill, which only took 10 seconds to do. If all I had was charcoal, I simply wouldn't grill as often. But there's no doubt that charcoal does have its advantages, and BGE is one of the best charcoal grills out there to augment a gas grill!

In my opinion, you summed it up very well there. BGE is completely different from other grills. I'd not consider REPLACING my gas grill with a BGE, but might well consider one in addition to the gas grill some day. Smoking, slow cooking are really the province of the BGE. Searing - I guess so, but my gas grill has fantastic infrared sear burners, so I'm covered there. I'll have to disagree with Rick though, charcoal IS inconvenient sometimes. There are times where we decide to quickly fire up the grill and cook burgers, chicken breasts, salmon steaks or something else for dinner. Meat's on and cooking within less than 5 minutes of lighting the grill, which only took 10 seconds to do. If all I had was charcoal, I simply wouldn't grill as often. But there's no doubt that charcoal does have its advantages, and BGE is one of the best charcoal grills out there to augment a gas grill!

Whatever. Just go microwave your Bar "S" hot dogs then. If you want it done right, sometimes you have to do it slow. Don't try Nathan's or Fairbury. Loser. ;)

Last edited:

Whatever. Just go microwave your Bar "S" hot dogs then. If you want it done right, sometimes you have to do it slow. Don't try Nathan's or Fairbury. Loser. ;)

You obviously haven't had my lemon/dill grilled salmon! :stickouttongue:

Smoking, barbecuing ribs, etc - must be done slow to do it right. Spending an hour preparing a charcoal grill for hotdogs - ANY hotdogs - is just plain crazy though!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back