• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Big Green Egg alternative

I've seen them at the stores and they're a little flimsy. I've heard they cook really well though.

That sucks. I haven't had a chance to see one in person yet. One of the knocks I've read about for the BGE was the need to lay out more cash for some of the stuff that comes standard with the KJ. For that kind of change, I guess I'd rather have the more durable BGE. Thanks for the heads up.

I will stick with my Weber 22" Grill, and learn how to effectively smoke on it, thankyouverymuch..... :Biggrin: :Biggrin: :Biggrin: :cheers:

I think the key in one of these is how well it seals. If you don't get it absolutely air tight, it will burn all the coals each time and temperature will be harder to control. I don't know how you would test at the store as the way you can tell is when you have coals burning you can hear the air seal when you close off the vents.

I have a Kamodo Joe, which isn't a lot less than a BGE, and after 2 years it cooks great with no gasket replacements yet. You can easily dial in the temperature from vent position.

I think the key in one of these is how well it seals. If you don't get it absolutely air tight, it will burn all the coals each time and temperature will be harder to control. I don't know how you would test at the store as the way you can tell is when you have coals burning you can hear the air seal when you close off the vents.

I have a Kamodo Joe, which isn't a lot less than a BGE, and after 2 years it cooks great with no gasket replacements yet. You can easily dial in the temperature from vent position.

I have read that the seals/gaskets on the KJ are outstanding.

There are a fair number of people who buy the BGE and never really use it. Watch Craigslist and you can find some decent deals. I have been watching off and on for a while while thingking about getting one.

There are a fair number of people who buy the BGE and never really use it. Watch Craigslist and you can find some decent deals. I have been watching off and on for a while while thingking about getting one.

Good point.

I wonder if the warranty is transferable if you aquire one like that? I read that they recently stopped doing warranty work if you purchased one online outside of their authorized dealer network.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back