• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Big 12 for sale

Alaskajohn

Husker lost in the Alaska wilderness
2 Year Member

The Big 12 is considered selling 20% ownership of their conference to private equity. Are they really that hard up for cash that they need private equity infusion?

interesting times.

In order to stay competitive they'll likely need home grown support.
Me? Not the best approach

There is more…

60e54fca-3ac2-4831-9c87-b8287fd81a2f_text.gif

Athlon quotes Josh Pate as saying,
You better believe I'm calling the Big 12, the Big 12 over some random sanitized corporate name that is not fun. There's nothing fun about Allstate. Allstate would be smart to buy the naming rights and then have some fun with the rights that they purchase.
I think Pate may have to reconsider. If media people were free to drop the sponsors name when talking about, say a bowl game, I think they would. It might say "Vrbo Fiesta Bowl" on the field, but they'd just say, "Fiesta Bowl," in the booth.

As for me, I just can't wait to call the Big 12, "the American Standard Urinal Conference."

Last edited:
If it follows through with this really bad idea, the B12 signed its own death warrant even before playing its first football game in its present form. A 20% stake by outsiders would wind up killing it. (And there's a whole lot of rationalization coming from the conference commissioner.)

Private equity firms often devour and bankrupt their holdings. The appeal of a billion upfront might be irresistable, but the money will eventually be gone. Then what? With a sizable chunk of future revenues being siphoned off, how does the B12 think it can stay financially viable long-term?

This won't end well. The B12 will get squeezed and die a protracted, painful death. B12 teams used to win the Sears Trophy. Now, ironically, the conference could go the way of Sears -- also done in by private equity ownership.

If it follows through with this really bad idea, the B12 signed its own death warrant even before playing its first football game in its present form. A 20% stake by outsiders would wind up killing it. (And there's a whole lot of rationalization coming from the conference commissioner.)

Private equity firms often devour and bankrupt their holdings. The appeal of a billion upfront might be irresistable, but the money will eventually be gone. Then what? With a sizable chunk of future revenues being siphoned off, how does the B12 think it can stay financially viable long-term?

This won't end well. The B12 will get squeezed and die a protracted, painful death. B12 teams used to win the Sears Trophy. Now, ironically, the conference could go the way of Sears -- also done in by private equity ownership.
They could get the Saudi's to invest. They don't seem to mind overpaying for sports.

If they don't produce agreed. If they do and embrace todays cfb structure and succeed maybe not.
If the teams or rules are set to not keep up with changes or be competitive regardless of whats perceived as brand like businesses who were drummed out doing these very things, or the PAC where perception was over valued nationally and more a regional smaller based commodity.
IOW, unless someones given the power to diminish the big twelve to become less competitive, or the teams themselves just become that way through bad coaching, recruiting developing etc imo there won't be enough leverage from this renaming to destroy the conference.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back