• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Bielema, Dantonio Unhappy With Meyer For Negative/Unethical Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Urban Meyer lost me while he was at Utah. When Frank Solich was let go, someone from ESPN asked Urban if he was interested in the Nebraska job. He became very indignant and said that it was ridiculous that a coach with a winning record would be let go and he wouldn't be interested in any school that would behave is such a way......

One year later, Ron Zook got fired at Florida following a winning season and "Mr. Indignant" couldn't get there fast enough. I think he's an appropriate relplacement for Jim Tressel.

Well, anyone who ever believed his was a little gullible. He wouldn't have come to NU under any circumstances for any amount of money. Urb has been a very good coach...who has been very smart about the jobs he picks.

Bielema and Dantonio end up looking like complete morons in this deal...they should have confined their whining to their offices.

Guess allot of folks could take that advice huh? First time old Urb does it to us we shall see how folks think......

8 of the 10 guys he got to commit he flipped....that in itself makes me go hhhhmmmm.....pretty much unheard of to flip 8 guys in one class....makes you wonder just a little....

Bielema and Dantonio end up looking like complete morons in this deal...they should have confined their whining to their offices.

Last edited:
Guess allot of folks could take that advice huh? First time old Urb does it to us we shall see how folks think......

8 of the 10 guys he got to commit he flipped....that in itself makes me go hhhhmmmm.....pretty much unheard of to flip 8 guys in one class....makes you wonder just a little....

He was hired late so he was obviously going to need to make up for lost time. I'm not motivated enough to go find out who they all were...were there a lot of Ohio guys? I know the Dodson character was. Not gonna lose a whole lot of sleep over an incoming coach going after in-state guys first.

Fact is I doubt he's gonna have to do a whole lot of flipping going forward now that he's working on a full recruiting cycle.

No not all Ohio guys....

Oh I agree with you....he will have his name and the Ohio State name...and should be able to keep all of the Ohio guys home....the fact we got and kept McMullen is a miracle unto itself...kid was sold on Nebraska and wasn't interested in even talking to Meyer...

He was hired late so he was obviously going to need to make up for lost time. I'm not motivated enough to go find out who they all were...were there a lot of Ohio guys? I know the Dodson character was. Not gonna lose a whole lot of sleep over an incoming coach going after in-state guys first.

Fact is I doubt he's gonna have to do a whole lot of flipping going forward now that he's working on a full recruiting cycle.

I have no doubt that Meyer probably pushes the envelope...maybe even crossing the ethical line. My point with my original post in this thread is that unless Bielema and Dantonio have some evidence or stories they really want to tell then it just sounds like sour grapes. I am sure both of those guys has "stolen" recruits before. Coming out an crying serves no purpose when they already had a coaches meeting scheduled for today in Chicago...just address it there behind closed doors.

Fair enough....no argument...

I have no doubt that Meyer probably pushes the envelope...maybe even crossing the ethical line. My point with my original post in this thread is that unless Bielema and Dantonio have some evidence or stories they really want to tell then it just sounds like sour grapes. I am sure both of those guys has "stolen" recruits before. Coming out an crying serves no purpose when they already had a coaches meeting scheduled for today in Chicago...just address it there behind closed doors.

From what I've read, Meyer did nothing wrong and Bielema and Dantonio are whining cause Meyer was able to flip a couple of recruits to Ohio State. Dantonio and Bielema seem to think there is some code that says you don't do that in the B10, but of course none exists. Barry Alvarez has come out and said as much as well. The two complaining coaches feel what he did is illegel or at least unethical. But here's a question for them...did either of them use the turmoil at Ohio State when selling the recruit on going to their school instead of OSU?

Nothing to see here but a couple of coaches who know OSU is on the fast track to being back and that the likelihood they'll lose top recruits to OSU will continue as it probably always has happened.
I agree.

The only thing I can see that if there had been a sort of gentlemen's agreement, it would have hearkened back to the day of the Conference Letters of Intent. Back in the day, conferences had LOI's ; for example, Nebraska may have gotten a kid to commit under a Big-8 LOI; he then could not sign with another Big 8 school. But the kid could sign a Big-10 and a Pac-8 LOI not to mention SWC and SEC.

I could see where at one time - after Conference LOIs were done away with and the commit process unfolded - there may have been a GA; but if Alverez says there ain't... there ain't...

I guess I have always seen like this. The more kids you can recruit "like McMullen" that can't be flipped the better. If a player is willing to change his commit at the last moment then imo, he wasnt really onboard in the first place. I gotta believe that besides talent and skill, heart and loyalty and "want to" count for something too. I think teams that are filled with kids that play for something bigger than themselves tend to do great things regardless of their recruitng rating. I laughed at Pat Fitzgeralds quote at the end of signing day this year, "we went to the rose bowl with the worst recruiting class in the big 10.

I see many of these 5 star players that tease 8 schools and waffle back and forth and end up switching multiple times at the last hour. Many of these kids dont pan out in the end.

I guess what I am trying to say in short is that if a kid wants to jump ship in the last hour to go play for Urb, then great. I would rather have kids that love playing for scarlet and cream.

There's no way for D'antono and Bielema to look like the good guys in this.

With regards to gentlemen's agreements in recruiting - doesn't seem right to put gentlemen and recruiting in the same sentence. But it's not like D'antonio can expect to call dibs on players and have everyone else back off.

I would think that part of the reason that UM was able to flip so many recruits was because they were flippable. OSU has been the destination of choice lately, for Kids in Ohio and the rust belt. Couple that with the 'sexy' hire of UM and finally finding out what the 'penalties' were going to be and you have a recipe for flipping.

Not sure of the source but I read somewhere that the NCAA only real penalty for OSU was a forced upgrade of coaches.

And the fact they could have two coaching staffs concurrently.......where's that new face palm smiley???

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back