• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Best/Worst Football Uniforms - Red & White - Not so fashionable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting... hadn't thought about that combo before...Northeast is the only team I can think of that uses black and white! (I'm a Southeast alum ... black and gold are a bit overused, however.) :)

I found this site: http://www.fashion-hound.com/college-colors

Bowdoin in Maine is Black and White

Providence College in Rhode Island is Black & White

Several with a third color and Black and White

Time for a little art theory.

Below, you'll see a color wheel. Typically, basic design teaches that high contrast color schemes are most desirable, especially for sports uniforms. The simplest way to do this is to pick colors that oppose each other on the wheel.

Real_Color_Wheel_475.jpg

For example, you'll see that the family of "blues" and family of "yellows" are opposing. This is what gives Michigan such a great color combo.

The addition of whites, blacks and grays can also help you use colors that are "close" to each other. For example, consider Miami. The orange and green are somewhat close on the color spectrum, but by adding a healthy dose of white to their uniforms, they make it work.

Neighboring colors can work, such as the Blue-Green mashup of Tulane or the Green-Yellow combos of Oregon. You try to avoid is using 3 neighboring colors (red, yellow orange) or use more than 3 main colors because the design gets too scattered looking.

Part of the reason that everyone hated Maryland's new uniforms is that they basically contrasted two already high-contrast patterns; red/white and yellow/black. And while it looks great on their state flag, it was gimmicky on a football jersey.

Coming back to the article, I tend to agree that the Red/White combo is over played. Nebraska, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Washington State, Utah, Stanford, NC State, Alabama, Arkansas, Rutgers and Louisville all use some combination of Red/Maroon/Scarlet/Cardinal and White. And those were just the first teams that flew off the top of my head.

But maybe they should have stopped to consider that so many schools use Red/White because it's a great color combo.

Very interesting perspective.

Recall that most of the traditional football uniforms of today are slight variations of uniform colors that date back to the 50's and 60's.

Note many of the advertising of that area using a lot of red and white ... ie Coca-Cola etc.

I love the Nebraska helmet. Other than that, our unis are boring. I think it woudl be great to keep the helmet intact but introduce a couple of alternate unis - one modern in the vein of the Nike Pro Combat and one retro like the Adidas unis designed for the Michigan v. ND game.

I know you "traditionalists" will scream bloody murder, but it's time for NU to join the 21st century. Recruits care about fashion and style more than ever. NU needs an image makeover. Right now, we are viewed as a bunch of rubes in overalls with corn cobs in our back pockets.

I love the Nebraska helmet. Other than that, our unis are boring. I think it woudl be great to keep the helmet intact but introduce a couple of alternate unis - one modern in the vein of the Nike Pro Combat and one retro like the Adidas unis designed for the Michigan v. ND game.

I know you "traditionalists" will scream bloody murder, but it's time for NU to join the 21st century. Recruits care about fashion and style more than ever. NU needs an image makeover. Right now, we are viewed as a bunch of rubes in overalls with corn cobs in our back pockets.

Burn the infidel!!!:Biggrin: If you are winning and putting people in he pros the players will come. If the fans are excited and the facilities are good the players will come. USC's uniforms are not ecxcately cutting edge and LSU has worn the same thing since forever. How about Alabama now there is a fashion statement for you.

Burn the infidel!!!:Biggrin: If you are winning and putting people in he pros the players will come. If the fans are excited and the facilities are good the players will come. USC's uniforms are not ecxcately cutting edge and LSU has worn the same thing since forever. How about Alabama now there is a fashion statement for you.

It's not just about the uni. it's the whole image. None of teams you metioned have this is an icon:

HerbieHusker1974.gif

OH NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not HERBIE!!!!!! :eek::Biggrin: I like Herbie he is unique. Anybody can have a tiger or an elephant but not anybody can have a HERBIE only NEBRASKA. A little bit of a rebel who goes against the crowd would come to a school with a unique mascot like HERBIE

OH NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not HERBIE!!!!!! :eek::Biggrin: I like Herbie he is unique. Anybody can have a tiger or an elephant but not anybody can have a HERBIE only NEBRASKA. A little bit of a rebel who goes against the crowd would come to a school with a unique mascot like HERBIE

Herbie is abysmal. The retro Herbie looks like Robert Redford and Jimmy Carter birthed a child with a spray-on tan and an appetite for bacon and twinkies. I have also never seen a single Nebraskan wearing a cowboy hat.

I have also never seen a single Nebraskan wearing a cowboy hat.

Interesting, I see Nebraskans wearing cowboy hats all the time and I live in Omaha! (granted it is West Omaha ;)) If there was ever a place in Nebraska where it should be hard to find cowboy hats being worn, it's Omaha.

Interesting, I see Nebraskans wearing cowboy hats all the time and I live in Omaha! (granted it is West Omaha ;)) If there was ever a place in Nebraska where it should be hard to find cowboy hats being worn, it's Omaha.

Not really.......cowboy hats, construction helmets, indian headdress......just dressing up for the YMCA......that's Omaha.:p

Now, start heading west and keep your eyes open...

Didn't the university try to get rid of Herbie? But the thing about Herbie, there's no cure for him and he'll keep coming back forever. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back