• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Best, Worse Case Scenarios

if we stay healthy at key spots and all things being equal ( like a 6 turnover game), I think we win 9 games, I think we will be favored in 10 games, all but Ohio st and wisc.

Think about how close we came to winning nine games last year with a beech of a schedule. Michigan, Purdue and Wisconsin are the only teams that really beat us bad. The other five were up for grabs.

I see 10 wins minimum with the sky as the limit. I am actually serious. Our road games are easily winnable; all the tough games are at home where we always got a chance.

This can happen.

I estimate our odds of beating the following teams at 90+%:
  1. South Alabama
  2. Northern Illinois
I estimate our odds of beating the following teams at 75+%:
  1. Colorado
  2. Illinois
I estimate our odds of beating the following teams at 60+%:
  1. Northwestern
  2. Indiana
  3. Maryland
I estimate our odds of beating the following teams at 50+%:
  1. Minnesota
  2. Purdue
  3. Wisconsin
  4. Iowa
I estimate our odds of beating the following teams at <35%:
  1. Ohio State
  2. B1G Championship Game
If you're nodding along while looking at those percentages, here's the part where the Kool-Aid gets spilled: If my percentages are accurate, it is statistically expected that we would lose at least 2 of the games that we're favored to win, lose 2 of the 4 at 50/50, and lose to Ohio State. If all of that happened, we wouldn't be playing in the B1G Championship game.

I think that we finish 8-4, and we'll have a shot at the B1G Championship game depending on tie-breakers. If we have any key injuries--Martinez, JD, Barry, Ferguson, Jaimes, M Farniok, D Williams--we will be very fortunate to make it to a bowl game. If everyone stays healthy, we could go 10-2 and play in the B1G Championship Game. Even in the best case scenario, we're likely to lose a game where we're favored, probably another where the odds are very close to even, and probably another where we're picked to lose (which could be the B1G Championship Game).

Although we will likely be favored to win, we don't have any truly easy road games this year. We'll get little credit for going on the road and beating Colorado, Illinois, Minnesota, Purdue, and Maryland, but every one of those games is a potential hiccup, especially when you consider that Colorado and Purdue beat us at home last year. Maryland and Colorado will be wildcards with their new coaches, but both have talent on the rosters. Illinois ran all over us last year, and we have to play them there this year, and it's the week before we play Ohio State. That's a classic setup for an upset. Purdue has some holes to fill from last year, but they have Rondale back, an experienced QB, and a whole lot more confidence than a year ago. Minnesota is the one that most concerns me. Their defense was atrocious when we played them, and their best RB didn't play against us, but we still had to beat them in a track meet. They were a completely different team after getting a new DC, and they have almost everyone back.

Last edited:

IMHO

Best case 9 wins - will require just about everyone remain healthy. We still have major depth issues.
Worse case 5 wins - AM with a season-ending injury early in year +/- the team is hit by a massive injury bug. QB, RB, WR, ILB, OLB, CB, S..........all real depth concerns.

We need another big recruiting year.

Last edited:
5a4fae9e683b6.jpeg

We should be at worst a start of 7-2 if the OL gets it together. We could go 9-0 with the schedule. This is the year to take it to Ohio State. I'm more worried how we handle to road games than our home games. This is going to be a better defense and mediocre ability for the offense to drive the ball. But we still have plenty of scoring threat to win most of the games on the schedule.

If the OL is porous, let's face it, 4 wins would look good.

Last edited:

if we stay healthy at key spots and all things being equal ( like a 6 turnover game), I think we win 9 games, I think we will be favored in 10 games, all but Ohio st and wisc.
Wisconsin could be a toss up or even us favored. There is a decent chance we will be 9-1 by that just based on what you mentioned...…..we could be favored in 9 of our first 10. Wisconsin has some serious line losses and a new QB. They will have played at South Florida out of conference and Michigan, Northwestern, Michigan State, Ohio State and Iowa all before coming to Nebraska. 3 losses wouldn't be out of the question and traveling to South Florida to open the season with a new QB isn't guaranteed

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back