• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Best, Worse Case Scenarios

Twelve String

Scout Team
10 Year Member
Here is one of what we all know will be many win/lose forecasts from various media outlets before the season starts. This one is from 247, but not the guys assigned to the Husker beat.

They have Nebraska's best case at 10-2 and worse case at 6-6. It's the widest spread of all Big Ten teams.

I'm thinking we will be at 7-5, but if the defense shows signs of improvement over the pre-conference games I might move that up a tick or two.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...-Big-Ten-best-worst-case-scenarios-131042751/

If the defense shows a quickness on the line and in our pass rush, I think we have a chance to be a 9-win team pretty easily.

If we go through 2019 with no improvement over 2018, I think we still win South Alabama, Colorado, Northern Illinois, Indiana, Purdue and Maryland. Yes, I'm putting Colorado in that category because we basically had them beat in 2018 without the benefit of an Akron tune up game and we managed to piss away the win with some bad calls and execution. The team could have little improvement, but Frost and the rest of the staff will be much more prepared for the Buffs.

That puts us at 6 wins. Show any sign of defensive improvement and I think we also blast Illinois, Northwestern and Minnesota.

IMO, 2019 comes down to three games. Ohio State, Wisconsin and Iowa. Fortunately all three are home games. I think we can win two games there, and maybe all three. Don't forget, the "crappy" 2018 Huskers pulled a Rocky 1 and went the distance in the horseshoe, losing by only 5 points.

Allowing for the usual season hijinx of injuries, and losing an upset to a middling white bread team from the ILLdiana States and I think 9 wins is pretty doable.

I'm scared to do a prediction for the season, I'm usually way off and it ends in disappointment. I do think 7-9 wins is doable, if they defense is significantly better I'll pick 10+

I have a hard time looking at Nebraska's schedule for next year and not being able to envision 10 wins. I do think the team as a whole takes a pretty good leap forward. They are still very thin at some spots, but the first teamers match up pretty well against almost every team they are going to play.

Everyone is really worried about how good this defense could be, well I think it will be better. Everyone wants a dominant 12 point a game defense. If that is what it will take to make you happy then you will be disappointed. A touchdown improvement in scoring defense will make a huge difference in the record. This is what I am looking for and expect to happen. Dominating opponents would be great, but I will start with just getting the win. To win the game you have to score 1 more point than your opponent.

If Martinez stays healthy I think the offense moves along pretty well. For me the bottom end is 8-4. I wouldn't be disappointed with that record. I could see only 1 loss somewhere if they really get rolling, but I don't think that will happen. So I say 9-3.

Only one right answer to the thread title;
Best case = Win 'em all. :Corn2: Worst case = Lose 'em all :Bananalazy:
Anything else is just a prediction and we already have a thread for that. :nod:

I mean, technically, you can always have Mother Nature deal you a 15 hour thunderstorm when Akron rolls into town. That was almost worse than a loss after a painfully long offseason.

If the defense shows a quickness on the line and in our pass rush, I think we have a chance to be a 9-win team pretty easily.

If we go through 2019 with no improvement over 2018, I think we still win South Alabama, Colorado, Northern Illinois, Indiana, Purdue and Maryland. Yes, I'm putting Colorado in that category because we basically had them beat in 2018 without the benefit of an Akron tune up game and we managed to piss away the win with some bad calls and execution. The team could have little improvement, but Frost and the rest of the staff will be much more prepared for the Buffs.

That puts us at 6 wins. Show any sign of defensive improvement and I think we also blast Illinois, Northwestern and Minnesota.

IMO, 2019 comes down to three games. Ohio State, Wisconsin and Iowa. Fortunately all three are home games. I think we can win two games there, and maybe all three. Don't forget, the "crappy" 2018 Huskers pulled a Rocky 1 and went the distance in the horseshoe, losing by only 5 points.

Allowing for the usual season hijinx of injuries, and losing an upset to a middling white bread team from the ILLdiana States and I think 9 wins is pretty doable.
I am really wandering what OSU will look like without Urb. Coaches have had mixed results following Meyer. So who knows what they will be next year.

3 really key positions need to stay healthy, obviously QB, and next is RB, we need washington here. and need mills to make it here, and give us 600 yards. He still has to make grades, and pickup the system in a very short time. I think we can sustain an injury in most any other spot (except center)

I will go with what pops predicts! He was the only one not drinking kool aid last year and seemed to nail the scores.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back