• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Best singular memory of Nebraska football

One of my early memories was the ‘74 Cotton Bowl 19-3 win over Texas led by Humm, Bahe & the Tecumseh Tornado, tough Tony Davis … it’s always good to beat the wHorns.
Remember that game! I was a sophomore in high school and my parents and I went on a bus trip down to Dallas to see the game. Sat with Ritch Bahe's parents who were friends with my parents. My lasting memory of the trip was meeting a nice looking young lady on the bus ride who told me she was also a sophomore (at NU!). When she heard I was a sophomore, she stayed glued to my side the rest of the trip! Don't think I ever mentioned our age difference to her though....

Remember that game! I was a sophomore in high school and my parents and I went on a bus trip down to Dallas to see the game. Sat with Ritch Bahe's parents who were friends with my parents. My lasting memory of the trip was meeting a nice looking young lady on the bus ride who told me she was also a sophomore (at NU!). When she heard I was a sophomore, she stayed glued to my side the rest of the trip! Don't think I ever mentioned our age difference to her though....

Singular? Only one?! Most important? First?

I'd have to go with the defensive finale of the 1971 (1970 season) Orange Bowl. In particular Willie Harper's strip of Bert Jones, which unfortunately did not ice the game. It was Terrio's interception of Jones that finally put the game away. Tagge's TD came with 8:05 left. We let Jones convert a 3rd and 29 from their seven. Then came Harper's play. Unfortunately, Tagge fumbled the ball away (on a third and long run) and Terrio picked off Jones. Little did I realize how good a QB Bert Jones was (NFL career felled by a bad shoulder). [Edit: Harper had a monstrous game; after Tagge’s TD he blocked/ forced a four yard punt, which we should have iced the game but fumbled it away deep in LSU territory. Early in the game he recovered a fumble. He was named outstanding lineman. ]

Basically, that game was finally everything falling into final place after things started falling our way with the ND defeat of USC and us beating OU in November. All of the other New Years games going our way.

My earliest memory was probably Dennis Claridge's TD run in the Orange Bowl against Auburn. Then three straight bowl losses with the NC on the line in the first two (Arkansas in Cotton Bowl, 'Bama the next year in the Orange Bowl). Then Kenny Stabler and Ray Perkins hammering us in the next Sugar Bowl... (throw in a loss or two against OU) and then the miserable 6-4 years, which was when I started attending games in Lincoln.

Big things started in 1969 with Van Brownson and Jerry Tagge taking over the QB duties, we wiped out OU in Norman in 1969 with clobbering Georgia in the Sun Bowl. That set up our rising run in 1970 season and the OB above put everything in place that a sixth grader could dream of. Then the next year was even more spectacular.

Last edited:
I've already posted my favorite, but must add a 2nd place.

Having Gator fans (very cocky ones) over for the 96' Fiesta Bowl. They actually snuck out mid way through the 3rd quarter.

Never heard from them again.

That was pretty saaawwweeeet.

LOL.

I know they are not the most popular guys around these parts but the Miracle in Missouri Frost to Wiggins to Davison in 1997 will always be with me. The game was not being shown in Georgia so my Dad (God rest his Soul) was giving me play-by-play over the phone. The local game ended and switched when Frost and company completed that crazy scoring play to force overtime. I fell to the ground and screamed overcome with joy! Great memories!!!

I know they are not the most popular guys around these parts but the Miracle in Missouri Frost to Wiggins to Davison in 1997 will always be with me. The game was not being shown in Georgia so my Dad (God rest his Soul) was giving me play-by-play over the phone. The local game ended and switched when Frost and company completed that crazy scoring play to force overtime. I fell to the ground and screamed overcome with joy! Great memories!!!
AWESOME! :Cheers:

It's not a singular thing for me. It's the national championships that have happened in my lifetime. All of them, even though I only consciously witnessed 1994, 1995, and 1997. 1970 and 1971 were great, too, but I was a toddler at that point, so that's when the seed was planted. GBR, my friends.

I'm sure I've previously mentioned ... but the flea kicker play had me more insanely excited than maybe any single play I can think of.

I was watching at a bar in Palm Desert, CA (might have been Cathedral City, aging brain fog) ... and went absolutely ballistic when that was ruled a catch. I was the only Husker fan in a packed bar, sprinting around tables, screaming "oh my god!" :Lol:

Last edited:
I'm sure I've previously mentioned ... but the flea kicker play had me more insanely excited than maybe any single play I can think of.

I was watching at a bar in Palm Desert, CA (might have been Cathedral City, aging brain fog) ... and went absolutely ballistic when that was ruled a catch. I was the only Husker fan in a packed bar, sprinting around tables, screaming "oh my god!" :Lol:
Similar situation had me in a crowded San Francisco sports bar that day in 1997 where there may have been one other Husker fan. All the non-husker fans were really getting into it and very late in the game it was obvious (to some) or was it wishful thinking that Big Red was going down. A Michicken fan got in my face and said, "You've had a good run. It had to end eventually". I just nodded and smiled. After the flea-kicker the whole atmosphere in the place changed. Folks moved on to other game interests as if they knew how it was going to end. As I walked through the crowd at the end of the game nobody was looking at or talking to me. I can only imagine how big my smile was as I walked out into the sunny afternoon. Oh how much I miss those days of quiet confidence.

1980 Oklahoma game. Sitting in the basement watching TV listening to the radio. Having a beer with my Dad. I do not remember much about the game. I was a senior and my Dad offered me a beer for the first time. By the time the next season started I was off to the Corps. After that I would be home for maybe 1 game every three to four years. Prior to that for every game we were sitting in the basement listening to the radio, watching the TV or both. It kind of marked the end of my youth and the start of my manhood.

May not be what you were looking for but it is my greatest memory.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back