• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Best singular memory of Nebraska football

Easy. The interception to seal the 1994 Natty. People forget we were down 10 0 in that game. Never forget the feeling in that stadium after we won. It was one giant sigh of relief. Was lucky enough to catch the next 2 as well vs Spurrious as well against UT. The classic thing for me was watching Jacquez Green get annihilated on a kickoff return and I think Jamel Williams almost decapitate Wuerffel for a safety. Game over. In the Tennessee game, the stadium was half orange and red, hearing Rocky Top a million x, and Ahman Green...what a stud.

Last edited:

96 fiesta bowl. With my now deceased father in the very lower corner of the media tunnel getting to watch all the famous personalities walking through. The best moment was where we appeared to have sacked Wuerffel in the end zone but the officials marked him on the one foot line. We immediately sacked him on the next play for a safety. I have never heard a louder crowd
"The Run" by Tommie Frazier was another great highlight of that game. Actually, there were so many highlights. LP was unstoppable. Our guys were amped up and ready to play.

Too many. But most fun? Playing tackle the man with the ball behind the bleachers in the stadium during a game when I was 10 and stopping now and then and sitting in the bleachers and watching the game and seeing how much fun the game itself was. That made football for me, even though we were lucky to win half those games.

Haven't read all these yet, so it may be mentioned one or more times.

For me, it is the Thur night game against Rice after 9/11 The emotions were unreal but completely different than a game-winning TD or play by a long shot. Was one of the first college FB games after the attack.

The crane with the huge flag flying over the E stadium was a sight to see, and the Tunnel walk was emotional, with the first responders leading the team onto the field. Set all the emotional game-winning events aside, and this is the one I key in on.

I liked when Nebraska stood with Iowa and Ohio State and told Big Covid Kevin to pound rocks because we wanted to sack up and play football like men.

I'll forever hate Iowa slightly less than Wisconsin for that.

"The Run" by Tommie Frazier was another great highlight of that game. Actually, there were so many highlights. LP was unstoppable. Our guys were amped up and ready to play.
The run was by far the greatest highlight. However in my case the scenario of the back to back defensive plays right in front of us for a safety was special. Especially knowing how cross get into defensive stands like that. :-:

There are a lot of candidates. 95’ Orange Bowl, the final sack. Black 41 Flash Reverse against OU. The Westerkamp hail mary.

But my favorite is the Alex Henry’s 57 Yard FG. It was the day after Thanksgiving, we were having beers in the garage, it was Colorado, Pelini’s first season, Suh was a beast that day. It was the whole combination. I was going crazy.

October 8th, 1977.

I'd watched or listened to parts of many Nebraska games with my dad starting with the Game of The Century in 1971, but this one was different.

We lived in Denver at the time and the game wasn't on TV. Nebraska vs Kansas State wasn't going to float many people's boats, but my dad and I had it on the radio while we changed the oil and rebuilt the carburetor on his '64 Chevelle. The sun was out and it was a nice, warm fall day. Listening to the game was something I always did when it wasn't on TV, but this might have been our first together and it was just different. I was still learning about cars and my dad was still learning about football.

It wasn't a great game by any stretch of the imagination, and we were in the middle of something else, but it was the first game we really dug into together. I think the oil change and carb rebuild took much longer than it should have because of our continued conversation back and forth about the ins and outs of the game, who did what, IM Hipp and his 200+ yard game. I was barely a teenager back then and we listened to or watched many games together after this one, but it was really a game that played as the background to a day that changed our relationship and understanding of each other.

I'll likely never forget some of the mental images from that day.

AWESOME!!!

Date.........?

I remember my dad "ordering" me to walk to Harry's Barber shop in McCook to get my hair cut. I was 10 almost 11 and haircuts were everything I didn't want. Wasn't going to argue with him though....lol.

I was sitting in the barber shop that Saturday listening to Nebraska-Wake Forest.

We finished them off pretty quick..........and I don't really know why that game on the radio sticks in my head?

Great story Crab.

Hey Crab, I inherited a '64 Chevelle from my mom as my first vehicle to drive. It was a 2-door, blue, 283 dog of an engine but I loved it. Put a Hurst shifter handle on as a shift knob, and of course 8 track in the glove box.

I too spent many Saturdays with my pops listening to games and working on projects or driving dirt roads looking for pheasants or working on the duck blind he leased on the Platte River down toward Bayard. So I've got him to blame for this lifelong disease of being a Husker fan through thick and thin. o_O

Edit: I was in the stadium for this hit. Talk about "man, woman and child did that put them in the isles..." https://www.huskermax.com/1978-oklahoma-ruud-phelps-hit/
I was there too. It was not only a great hit, but forcing a turnover in a huge game. A great defensive play like that with everything on the line is as exciting as a touchdown in my book.

That was my first reaction. The second one was anger at the call But when it first happened the elation was amazing.

Watching that clip of the goal post coming down, I think that's the north. I was in the front line of the crowd that took down the southern one. Cops surrounded it at first. A huge cop picked me up by the front of my dark blue down north face parka - even though I was 6 ft 180 - and threw me to the ground. As I struggled to my feet the crowd surged past the cops to the goal post and it was just a matter of time then.

Sheesh, from my posts in here you'd think I didn't like cops. The opposite is true. But when your young and full of piss and vinegar you tend to run into them from time to time. ;)

Last edited:
AWESOME!!!

Date.........?

I remember my dad "ordering" me to walk to Harry's Barber shop in McCook to get my hair cut. I was 10 almost 11 and haircuts were everything I didn't want. Wasn't going to argue with him though....lol.

I was sitting in the barber shop that Saturday listening to Nebraska-Wake Forest.

We finished them off pretty quick..........and I don't really know why that game on the radio sticks in my head?

Great story Crab.

Spent many a weekend on Swanson catching the hell out of walleye and white bass.

Small world.

Hey Crab, I inherited a '64 Chevelle from my mom as my first vehicle to drive. It was a 2-door, blue, 283 dog of an engine but I loved it. Put a Hurst shifter handle on as a shift knob, and of course 8 track in the glove box.

I too spent many Saturdays with my pops listening to games and working on projects or driving dirt roads looking for pheasants or working on the duck blind he leased on the Platte River down toward Bayard. So I've got him to blame for this lifelong disease of being a Husker fan through thick and thin. o_O

Edit: I was in the stadium for this hit. Talk about "man, woman and child did that put them in the isles..." https://www.huskermax.com/1978-oklahoma-ruud-phelps-hit/

The '64 283 wasn't going to blow too many doors off, but man was that a great car.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back