• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Best Sandwich in Nebraska

I'm a big fan of diner and bowling alley food. If you are looking for something that is greasy, filling, and not at all pretentious, check out the chicken fried steak sandwich from Shirley's Diner. Shirley's has managed to stick around for 20+ years despite being a hole in the wall, and I wouldn't be surprised at the occasional health code violation (much like my own kitchen at home). I'm also pretty sure that any vegetables you might get with your meal came straight from a can, but the chicken fried steak (and pork tenderloin, for that matter) is pretty doggone good. And big.

I started to go through the slides, and found myself thinking, some of those don't look all that amazing.

And then I come to Idaho, which has a Philly cheesesteak as their best sandwich. Seriously? Of all the sandwich places in ID, the best has an East Coast connection, which is likely not anywhere nearly as good as a truly Philly cheesesteak. Is there nothing else worthy in Idaho?
you da ho
(chuckle)

Not sure why but at some point in my life I tried a Rueben (not sure where...) and LOVED it....so when the mood strikes, I will try the rueben at a place and see if it meets my standards. I'm game to head to Omaha to try this...the Pic looks amazing! Honest Abe's Burgers + Freedom have some good ideas for what to serve on a burger, but they start with an amazing burger, which IMO is the key. ;)

Last edited:

A few years ago the OWH had a top 10 ruebens article and crescent moon was #1 so I decided to check it out. Their corned beef was cubed not sliced. That ruined it for me.

Thanks everyone for your replies/suggestions so far. Keep 'em coming.

I don't mind the cubed corned beef concept. Since the OWH (OWH readers?) also ranked it high, I may try the Ale House place at 36th & Farnam.

I'm a big fan of diner and bowling alley food. If you are looking for something that is greasy, filling, and not at all pretentious, check out the chicken fried steak sandwich from Shirley's Diner. Shirley's has managed to stick around for 20+ years despite being a hole in the wall, and I wouldn't be surprised at the occasional health code violation (much like my own kitchen at home). I'm also pretty sure that any vegetables you might get with your meal came straight from a can, but the chicken fried steak (and pork tenderloin, for that matter) is pretty doggone good. And big.

Where is this place? GREAT burgers (and other sandwiches) at Dinker's Bar. Very hard to beat this place.

I started to go through the slides, and found myself thinking, some of those don't look all that amazing.

And then I come to Idaho, which has a Philly cheesesteak as their best sandwich. Seriously? Of all the sandwich places in ID, the best has an East Coast connection, which is likely not anywhere nearly as good as a truly Philly cheesesteak. Is there nothing else worthy in Idaho?
Lots of good microbrews in Idaho. Esp if you like IPAs, which are not my favorite. There is a good 7-8 quality microbrewerys in the Boise metro. As far as food goes, nothing has really stuck out to me in the last 5 years. Oh, we do have a good taco roach coach in the little town we live in.

Yes. Abe's is my favorite burger in town. I also like Fred and Ruby's at the Parkway bowling alley.

Not sure why but at some point in my life I tried a Rueben (not sure where...) and LOVED it....so when the mood strikes, I will try the rueben at a place and see if it meets my standards. I'm game to head to Omaha to try this...the Pic looks amazing! Honest Abe's Burgers + Freedom have some good ideas for what to serve on a burger, but they start with an amazing burger, which IMO is the key. ;)

Where is this place? GREAT burgers (and other sandwiches) at Dinker's Bar. Very hard to beat this place.

Yep, Dinker's is good stuff! The only problem was that the first time I ate there it was about 115 degrees outside and I sat on the patio. Hard to enjoy a burger when you're soaking wet from sweat, but it was still good.

Shirley's Diner is in Millard Plaza. The Amazing Pizza Machine is the "anchor" of the plaza now, and Shirley's is located in one of the other buildings. If you're still in the mood for going to dive joints, stop by the Pheasant Tavern for a cocktail afterwards, located in the same parking lot.

Yep, Dinker's is good stuff! The only problem was that the first time I ate there it was about 115 degrees outside and I sat on the patio. Hard to enjoy a burger when you're soaking wet from sweat, but it was still good.

Shirley's Diner is in Millard Plaza. The Amazing Pizza Machine is the "anchor" of the plaza now, and Shirley's is located in one of the other buildings. If you're still in the mood for going to dive joints, stop by the Pheasant Tavern for a cocktail afterwards, located in the same parking lot.

Oh I love dive bars. Pheasant Tavern sounds like a gem. I'm not usually that far south but might have to check them out. Thanks, Thill!

Yes. Abe's is my favorite burger in town. I also like Fred and Ruby's at the Parkway bowling alley.

That menu looks good. I am going to go find something to eat now.

That place passed dive joint awhile back! Good place for a drink. Avoid that pizza place there, horrible.

That place passed dive joint awhile back! Good place for a drink. Avoid that pizza place there, horrible.

The Amazing Pizza Machine? It's an entertainment center with crappy Chucky-Cheese style buffet pizza. It's for kids, and they love it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back