• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Best NU teams since 2004

Husker In Oklahoma

All American
20 Year Member
2009 easily with 2010 close behind. The 2009 team could have won the national championship by seasons end, even with an anemic offense. No one wanted to play them by December. Best defense in college football this century. 2010 team was pretty solid but lost to Texas and blew the game against OU. So many after these two that are pretty even. Not sure who would go next? 2012 maybe? It’s tough.

I'm actually going to put 2010 over 2009. The 2009 D was stout, but that offense was soooooo bad, unless the D set them up with a short field the chances of points were low. We lost games where the D gave up 16, 12, and 9 points. Taylor Martinez is super polarizing and turnover prone, but he added an element to the offense that 2009 couldn't compete with. If he'd have been able to stay healthy the 2010 squad wouldn't have won the title (Bo's teams mirrored his personality, too combustible for sustained elite performance), but their peak was higher.

For number 3 I'm going to go with the 2006 squad. Callahan gets a lot of hate, and the rails fell off in 2007, but we forget how close we were to truly turning the corner in 2006. There were still Solich players on that squad, players that were around the program when it was clicking. Shoulda-Coulda-Woulda, but they were a Terrance Nunn fumble away from beating a top 5 Texas team. Win that game and the whole history of the program could have changed. The Auburn bowl game is another we should have one. The D held Auburn under 200 yards, but the team had gave up two short fields after turnovers, and Auburn didn't make similar mistakes (I'm still mad at Andrew Shanle for dropping the handoff on a fake punt. It would have worked had he held on to it.).

Last edited:
I think 2009, but that is difficult to say out loud when that team lost to Iowa State in Memorial stadium. Yeah I know we always have an excuse, but we lost to Iowa State in Memorial stadium. And as I recall that was the week after Texas Tech beat us also in memorial stadium. So in the past 20 years our best team was one that lost to Iowa State in memorial stadium. Makes you shudder, though it does put post-TO in perspective.

I'm actually going to put 2010 over 2009. The 2009 D was stout, but that offense was soooooo bad, unless the D set them up with a short field the chances of points were low. We lost games where the D gave up 16, 12, and 9 points. Taylor Martinez is super polarizing and turnover prone, but he added an element to the offense that 2009 couldn't compete with. If he'd have been able to stay healthy the 2010 squad wouldn't have won the title (Bo's teams mirrored his personality, too combustible for sustained elite performance), but their peak was higher.

For number 3 I'm going to go with the 2006 squad. Callahan gets a lot of hate, and the rails fell off in 2007, but we forget how close we were to truly turning the corner in 2006. There were still Solich players on that squad, players that were around the program when it was clicking. Shoulda-Coulda-Woulda, but they were a Terrance Nunn fumble away from beating a top 5 Texas team. Win that game and the whole history of the program could have changed. The Auburn bowl game is another we should have one. The D held Auburn under 200 yards, but the team had gave up two short fields after turnovers, and Auburn didn't make similar mistakes (I'm still mad at Andrew Shanle for dropping the handoff on a fake punt. It would have worked had he held on to it.).

never mind, deleted post to not stray off topic

Last edited:

That 2006 team was gritty. The only game I went to during the Callahan era was that year against Texas A&M in College Station. I was building a job in South Texas and got free tickets from a sub.

Right on the Texas and Auburn games. Both were very close. Win those two and finish 11-3 and there is no telling what happens after that.

You can also do that for several years during the Pelini era as well. A handful of plays over a handful of seasons and we end up with Mike Riley.

That 2006 team was gritty. The only game I went to during the Callahan era was that year against Texas A&M in College Station. I was building a job in South Texas and got free tickets from a sub.

Right on the Texas and Auburn games. Both were very close. Win those two and finish 11-3 and there is no telling what happens after that.

You can also do that for several years during the Pelini era as well. A handful of plays over a handful of seasons and we end up with Mike Riley.
If memory holds, didn't we throw an interception in the end zone against Oklahoma in the big 12 title game? Win that one and its Fiesta Bowl against Boise St. We all know how that game turned out...

If memory holds, didn't we throw an interception in the end zone against Oklahoma in the big 12 title game? Win that one and its Fiesta Bowl against Boise St. We all know how that game turned out...

Five turnovers if I recall, but because of them and an early OU drive, the game wasn't really that close. The Texas and Auburn games were certainly within NU's grasp.

On the Boise St matchup......that might have been less than average.

The 2009 team was playing top 10 caliber football at the end of the season. But they did have a few weird hiccup games during that season (Iowa St and Texas Tech). The close loss at VT was unfortunate, but that team had a playoff caliber defense. We were relatively weak at QB which probably held them back overall

2009 beats 2010 I believe, the defense was that dominant. NU was never close to turning any corner under Callahan imo. It was a disaster from day one and a horrible fit for the program. It still makes me laugh when I think about the “effin hillbillies” comment though. Loved it. Lol

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back