• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Best Jam Band

That's it right there. Get high and anything sounds like a symphony.

I personally think they suck.
Maybe I'm just not cultured enough to appreciate the noise they put out. Give me The Who, Zeppelin, Van Halen, Joe Walsh, Steely Dan, Toto, ... bands who have some actual musical talent and challenge my musical intellect.

Or if you just wanna jam (or cruise, or drink, or ...) how about Stevie Ray Vaughn, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, ...
I really like your music taste,

:Cheers:

I went to a James Taylor outdoor concert. BORING beyond belief. I slept through a good part of it.

I can believe that, too. I'll bet that he also introduced almost every song by mentioning that he was either high or recovering while writing and/or recording it.

This is probably the key. This would also explain why performers like Garth Brooks are eternally popular.
Garth Brooks is an entertainer. He puts on a show and it is fun to go see. That's why it is more fun to see than James Taylor. Just like going to see Kiss, Alice Cooper, and Motley Crue is fun. Its also a visual experience. Saw John Mellencamp outdoors about 3 years ago. It was a fairly bad show. You could tell he just didn't want to be there.

The Greatful Dead in their heyday was a visual experience unique to to themselves. It was a hippy traveling medicine show crossed with circus.
I can believe that, too. I'll bet that he also introduced almost every song by mentioning that he was either high or recovering while writing and/or recording it.

I am just not a James Taylor fan. So I would probably find his show boring.

Garth Brooks is an entertainer. He puts on a show and it is fun to go see. That's why it is more fun to see than James Taylor. Just like going to see Kiss, Alice Cooper, and Motley Crue is fun. Its also a visual experience. Saw John Mellencamp outdoors about 3 years ago. It was a fairly bad show. You could tell he just didn't want to be there.

The Greatful Dead in their heyday was a visual experience unique to to themselves. It was a hippy traveling medicine show crossed with circus.

I am just not a James Taylor fan. So I would probably find his show boring.
One of my cousins went to a country group concert (I think it was the Statler Brothers, but could have been The Oak Ridge Boys). I wasn't much into country music at that time, so I questioned his attending the concert. He replied that their music wasn't his favorite, but they always put on a great show.

Some people are musicians. Some are entertainers. I have been told that some of the musicians I enjoy can play and sing some great music. Get them in the studio, and they are masters in that element. And on stage, they just seem lost, out of their element.

Though I have never been to a concert of his, I would have thought Mellencamp would have been terrific. I always get a new surprise everyday.

Last edited:
They could even suck and then catch fire midway through a set. I suppose I qualify as a Deadhead even though I can’t stand quite a few of their songs that were set centerpieces (looking at you Bird Song, Cassidy, Eyes of the World, and Dark Star). I was on an early ‘80s/Go To Heaven era kick last year. Now I’m kinda on a ‘72-‘74 kick.
72-74 are amazing

I'm having a hard time not putting the Allman's at #1 here.

Granted, musically there were far beyond a 'Jam' band, but that was the feel.

”Best” jamband leaves a lot to interpretation In the phrasing and becomes really subjective really quickly, particularly when genre preference determines a lot. I’ve got a lot of thoughts on this subject.

”Best” jamband leaves a lot to interpretation In the phrasing and becomes really subjective really quickly, particularly when genre preference determines a lot. I’ve got a lot of thoughts on this subject.
Thelonious Monk … Big influence on Garcia

Music is perfect in that there is something for us all.

Tell us your thoughts.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back