• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Best defenses of all time

They won the Big 12 without an offense.

2009 Blackshirts are absolutely one of the very best defenses in history.

The fact that the 95 Huskers aren't on this list is a total joke.
1984, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2009. 2009 Huskers D is the best defense this century to date. Probably 1971 should be on here as well, but I didn’t see it, so hard to say.

They won the Big 12 without an offense.

2009 Blackshirts are absolutely one of the very best defenses in history.

The fact that the 95 Huskers aren't on this list is a total joke.

I'm surprised the 1999 defense hasn't been mentioned. Might be one of the best corner/safety combo in Lincoln.

1984, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2009. 2009 Huskers D is the best defense this century to date. Probably 1971 should be on here as well, but I didn’t see it, so hard to say.

:thumbsup:

Nebraska at #16 for 2009 season. No way was Alabama better in any year under Saban than this defense. Nebraska 2009, is the best defense of this century. Also, no other Nebraska defenses on this list, which is a joke. Still pissed NU lost that 1986 game to the Land Thieves. This list is very flawed. Pick away boys.

Odd that the '71 D was not included with 3 shutouts and less than 8 pts/game.

Last edited:
I did see it, the '71 D had Glover, Jackobson, Harper, Dutton, Monte Johnson, all long-time NFL guys. Three shutouts and 8 pts/game avg.
'67 D had 4 shutouts in ten games, including 3 in a row, and only gave up 83 points, that included 12 by offense pick sixes. I'd take the D from 1967, 1971, 1999, or 2009 right now for this season!

'67 D had 4 shutouts in ten games, including 3 in a row, and only gave up 83 points, that included 12 by offense pick sixes. I'd take the D from 1967, 1971, 1999, or 2009 right now for this season!
67 apparently had the 2009 offense

He is such a tool. I can’t even stand his voice. It has nothing to do with this either. I just don’t think he knows what he’s talking about. Never have. He is a corporate guy thru and thru. He is a total blowhard. Also, I don’t even like Fowler anymore. He’s terrible at broadcasting, but was very good as a studio host. It’s sad that those two call the biggest games. It’s unwatchable and unlistenable, but, you want to see the games. Really pathetic and sad.

Odd that the '71 D was not included with 3 shutouts and less than 8 pts/game.
They were dominant. Glover was an animal. Larry Jacobson was the only defensive lineman in the country who was close to being as good as Glover and won the Outland trophy in ‘71. Glover won it in ‘72. Willie Harper was a gifted outside linebacker (DE in Nebraska’s 5-2 scheme) who played 11 years in the NFL. John Adkins, the DE on the other side was almost as good. John Dutton, who played for years for the Dallas Cowboys though only a sophomore was mostly a back-up behind Jacobson and Bill Janssen. Monte Johnson, who was Glover’s back-up at NG played 8 years for the Raiders as a middle linebacker. Bob Terrio who has to be one of the most under-rated linebackers in Husker history led the team in tackles.

That defense handled everyone on the schedule except for Oklahoma. Aside from the 31 points by OU, no one else scored more than 17 and the average opponent score in those other 12 games was 6.1 points. Dominant. They beat Alabama 38-6 in the Orange Bowl to win the National Championship and that defense made Alabama look like Akron. Rich Glover spent more time in Alabama’s backfield than All-American Alabama halfback, Johnny Musso.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back