• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Best defenses of all time

Husker In Oklahoma

All American
20 Year Member
Nebraska at #16 for 2009 season. No way was Alabama better in any year under Saban than this defense. Nebraska 2009, is the best defense of this century. Also, no other Nebraska defenses on this list, which is a joke. Still pissed NU lost that 1986 game to the Land Thieves. This list is very flawed. Pick away boys.

1659144965147.png

Nebraska at #16 for 2009 season. No way was Alabama better in any year under Saban than this defense. Nebraska 2009, is the best defense of this century. Also, no other Nebraska defenses on this list, which is a joke. Still pissed NU lost that 1986 game to the Land Thieves. This list is very flawed. Pick away boys.

The Selman brother's Sooner defense was top notch

Nearly every defense under Osborne (especially with McBride) was as good, or better, than anything we've seen this century.

Nebraska fans complained about it, but we were spoiled and expected perfection. I'm pretty sure that an Osborne defense didn't give up even 40 points in a single game until the 1988 loss to UCLA. This is despite often playing with backups for a good portion of games.

Um, no. I would, hands down, put 50% of Nebraska's 90's defenses in the mix. Along with, at least, the 71' team. Whatever happened to the "Greatest Team You'll Never See" defenses of the mid 70's Oklahoma? Or the Boz days? This hack is probably in his/her 30's.

Defense just kind of gets swept under the rug because of how many bad situations the offense put them in. 2010 offense with 2009 defense is a national championship contender IF NOT winner.

Suh and his pals in 2009 were indeed a pretty damn good defense, but as someone who has closely followed Husker football since the game against Pitt in 1958, another defense I'd rank right among the best of all time is the 1967 "D" led by All-Americans MG Wayne Meylan and DT Jim McCord. In ten games, they only gave up 9 TD's (two other TD's were by Colorado on pick sixes) and two FGs. They only gave up a per game average of 67 yards rushing and 90 yards passing. Unfortunately, the team went 6-4 because the offense scored only 16 TDs and 127 points with 40 turnovers.

IMO, 2009, while a very good defense, doesn't belong on this list.

#16 All-time defense should've been able to compete for a championship

The offense that year was SOOOOOO disappointing.

At least Pelini et al was smart enough to let ST's and defense carry us, and don't let offense hurt us.

Offenses inability to score a TD after PR to 9 yd line vs UT cost us that game.

i like how they have a 1912 minnesota team with a 4-3 record on the list....

2009 defense is the only one that made the list... not one of the NC defenses made the list. typical espn sec propaganda.

IMO, 2009, while a very good defense, doesn't belong on this list.

#16 All-time defense should've been able to compete for a championship

The offense that year was SOOOOOO disappointing.

At least Pelini et al was smart enough to let ST's and defense carry us, and don't let offense hurt us.

Offenses inability to score a TD after PR to 9 yd line vs UT cost us that game.
They won the Big 12 without an offense.

2009 Blackshirts are absolutely one of the very best defenses in history.

The fact that the 95 Huskers aren't on this list is a total joke.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back