• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Beers

BasilLongfellow

Starter
10 Year Member
I'm always looking for a new beer to get after.

I've been drinking Grain Belt Nordeast lately.

My favorite beer is Okocim, but can't find an importer in the U.S.

What are you all's recommendations?

I try to drink styles of beer and sample multiple manufacturers. Last year I went big into central European Lagers and probably tried 30 or so. The time before that was Lambics and Kolschs. This year I'm going classic British Golden Ales I think. I've also brewed about everything you can think of as well. Here in the Southeast with the soft water, I can clone just about anything from the Pilzen area. When I was in the Omaha area, they had water pretty similar to Munich so you could clone up about anything made in that area. Brewing used to be the only way to experience a variety of foreign beers, but over the past 10-12 years, just about everything is available in a store near you.

Heck, let's start a style of the month club. I'm in.

Last edited:
I try to drink styles of beer and sample multiple manufacturers. Last year I went big into central European Lagers and probably tried 30 or so. The time before that was Lambics and Kolschs. This year I'm going classic British Golden Ales I think. I've also brewed about everything you can think of as well. Here in the Southeast with the soft water, I can clone just about anything from the Pilzen area. When I was in the Omaha area, they had water pretty similar to Munich so you could clone up about anything made in that area. Brewing used to be the only way to experience a variety of foreign beers, but over the past 10-12 years, just about everything is available in a store near you.

Heck, let's start a style of the month club. I'm in.

You have convinced me that you are indeed an expert.

I will follow your lead.

Here's my proposal:

You make a suggestion on a beer/style. Participants can get it, drink it, rate it and provide responses. The floor is yours!

You have convinced me that you are indeed an expert.

I will follow your lead.

Here's my proposal:

You make a suggestion on a beer/style. Participants can get it, drink it, rate it and provide responses. The floor is yours!

Remembering my post about Gatwick Airport, I liked an ale called Old Speckled Hen in the pubs across the pond.

I just noticed this beer post in the middle of Max's kitchen! I can recommend some beers if anyone is interested. I took some "beer classes" recently and have been trying a quite a few different beers. I'm averaging about 35 new beers a month. If you have any questions on any type of beers just let me know! Maybe I'll just start a weekly post on my "new" beers of the week.

Any of you guys on untapped. I recently discovered the site and app. I just received my I believe in IPA badge. My wife is so proud. :Biggrin:

I just drove from Rhode Island to South Dakota and back and tried a few different beers along the way.

- Eliot Ness - great lakes brewing company a Vienna lager
- summit saga IPA and summit extra pale ale. Summit brewing out of Minneapolis
- camo a double IPA by lucid brewing in minneapolis (my cousin works there)
- fat tire by new Belgian brewing
- Goose island IPA - goose island brewing out of chicago
- in PA I had a nice traditional Yeungling Lager

I just had my first Boddington's the other day.....a nice surprise with one of those Guinness widgets in the can. A tasty treat!
thumbnail-3.jpgthumbnail-2.jpg

There is a great group of beers made in Irvine, Ca. Its called Bayhawk and I totally recommend the Chocolate Porter its awesome.

Any of you guys on untapped. I recently discovered the site and app. I just received my I believe in IPA badge. My wife is so proud. :Biggrin:

I just drove from Rhode Island to South Dakota and back and tried a few different beers along the way.

- Eliot Ness - great lakes brewing company a Vienna lager
- summit saga IPA and summit extra pale ale. Summit brewing out of Minneapolis
- camo a double IPA by lucid brewing in minneapolis (my cousin works there)
- fat tire by new Belgian brewing
- Goose island IPA - goose island brewing out of chicago
- in PA I had a nice traditional Yeungling Lager

All the beers/breweries you listed are great. I've had all but the IPA from Lucid brewing. I'm on untappd as well search Joe Avery (Nebraska). Goose Island has one of the best beers in the world in Pepe Nero. It's worth a try!

I just had my first Boddington's the other day.....a nice surprise with one of those Guinness widgets in the can. A tasty treat!
View attachment 3330View attachment 3331

Boddingtons is one of my personal favorites. Right up there with Newcastle Brown. Boddingtons has a special way of pouring, you're supposed to "pull" the beer. the purpose is to create a large head on the beer.

I had a few excellent beers this past week. I went to a beerfest in Omaha @ the Crescent Moon. There were nearly 300 different beers up for sampling. Unfortunately I only got through 39 before being a bit too tipsy to really evaluate good beers. Below are a few highlights of what I've had this weekend:l
- Unibroue Grande Reserve 17. It was a Strong Belgian that was barrel aged over cherries, so it came in at 10% ABV with extra barrel aging and sugar from the cherries. It was by far the best beer that was there. The brewery Unibroue is out of Canada and has more top 100 beers in the world than any other brewery.
- Le Freak from Green Flash. Belgian IPA. Hoppy but balanced well with maltiness. My second fav beer at the fest!
- Hopluia by Spilker Ales IPA. Nebraska Beer.
-Juliet (2012) by Goose Island Beer Co. Belgian Ale
- Peachtree Cézanne Saison by Crabtree Brewing Company Decent Saison
- a Scape Goat Pale Ale by Big Sky Brewing Company
- Ovila Dubbel by Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. Great beer, belgian Trippel
- Weihenstephaner Kristallweissbier by Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan decent german wheat beer
- Delirium Tremens by Brouwerij Huyghe One of my alltime favorites.
- Flashback India-Style Brown Ale by Boulder Beer Company (CO) Great brewery not a bad beer from them

Just a few copied from my Untappd

All the beers/breweries you listed are great. I've had all but the IPA from Lucid brewing. I'm on untappd as well search Joe Avery (Nebraska). Goose Island has one of the best beers in the world in Pepe Nero. It's worth a try!

I just did a request on Untappd... I'll be the guy from Rhode Island you receive the friend request from. I stumbled onto Goose Island. Not sure if I'll be able to fin the Pepe Nero around here. Right now I'm focusing on some New England area breweries, figure each time I move (about every 2-3 years) it's a nice chance to get some of the local flavor.

Recently I've enjoyed a few different beers from the Magic Hat brewery out of Burlington Vermont. My favorite so far is their #9 Not Quit Pale Ale. This spring they released a Black IPA called Demo that was pretty interesting.

Nice! New England has a ton great breweries. I've had a lot of Shipyard Brewing from Maine. I'm sure you also could get all of the limited releases from the Boston Beer Company/SAM Adams.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back