• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

BEER!

HUSKER HOT SAUCE

Be Yourself - Everyone Else Is Already Taken
10 Year Member
I have nothing but the highest praise for Lagunitas and their beers. However, I just bought a six pack of what I have to deem their worst effort yet. Aunt Sally. When I bought it, I didn't read all the way through the label. This is what the label says....
"A unique dry hopped 'Sweet Tart' sour mash ale. It literally tastes like sweet tarts in beer....YUCK!!!! It is the very first beer from Lagunitas that I just don't care for.
Aunt-Sally-Tap-Sticker.jpg

Now, for another beer that I just found today, that turns out to be very drinkable, if not very hoppy and heavy on the ABV. 9.0% Sqautters Hop Rising Double IPA.
ac71d32701b137f609708754478a1730_640x640.jpg

This is a really tasty IPA. Very hoppy, very robust. If you can find this one, give a six pack a try.

Now, for another beer that I just found today, that turns out to be very drinkable, if not very hoppy and heavy on the ABV. 9.0% Sqautters Hop Rising Double IPA.
ac71d32701b137f609708754478a1730_640x640.jpg

This is a really tasty IPA. Very hoppy, very robust. If you can find this one, give a six pack a try.
I will give it a try:thumbsup:

Have you tried their Bourbon Barrel Stout? I thought the ale was ok but the stout is outstanding. And spendy. I think its like twelve bucks for a four pack.

Have not tried that one. I will say I have had it in draft and bottle and draft is the way to go. Most of the time I don't notice a huge change in taste between the two but this one for me had a huge change from draft to bottle. Draft was so much better.

Have not tried that one. I will say I have had it in draft and bottle and draft is the way to go. Most of the time I don't notice a huge change in taste between the two but this one for me had a huge change from draft to bottle. Draft was so much better.

I will try that the next time I'm at my favorite watering hole. :thumbsup:

I have nothing but the highest praise for Lagunitas and their beers. However, I just bought a six pack of what I have to deem their worst effort yet. Aunt Sally. When I bought it, I didn't read all the way through the label. This is what the label says....
"A unique dry hopped 'Sweet Tart' sour mash ale. It literally tastes like sweet tarts in beer....YUCK!!!! It is the very first beer from Lagunitas that I just don't care for.
Aunt-Sally-Tap-Sticker.jpg
The dry hopping only add aroma and no hop flavor. Sour mash is controlled spoiling, and the sweet is probably un-fermented sugars. Sounds like a pretty horrible mixture to me.

I've tried some pretty aweful stuff at breweries. At stone, they have open cask parties where someone at the brewery makes up something. The night I was there they had some terrible peanut butter concoction.

Another time at Dogfish, they had beer for breakfast. Syrup and coffee aren't the best ingredients for beer.

Last edited:
The dry hopping only add aroma and no hop flavor. Sour mash is controlled spoiling, and the sweet is probably un-fermented sugars. Sounds like a pretty horrible mixture to me.

I've tried some pretty aweful stuff at breweries. At stone, they have open cask parties where someone at the brewery makes up something. The night I was there they had some terrible peanut butter concoction.

Another time at Dogfish, they had beer for breakfast. Syrup and coffee aren't the best ingredients for beer.
I'm not a fan of mixed drinks for the most part, especially the sweet ones, and this particular one(beer) seriously tasted like they added sweet tarts to it, way to sweet for me. It is a horrible mixture indeed.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of mixed drinks for the most part, especially the sweet ones, and this particular one seriously tasted like they added sweet tarts to it, way to sweet for me. It is a horrible mixture indeed.
I hear you. I hate sweet drinks. Someone was talking up Red's. I've had a cherry beer before where it was more of a dry, non-sweet flavor that was just a tinge that was pretty good. But that crap is like apple juice.

I do a lot of brewing (my pic is my 5-tap home-brew keg system on wheels) and I have a favorite hybrid that I call Big Red. I hit it with plenty of malt and Denny's Favorite 50 for a big malt feel and high alcohol and then hop it like an IPA. Best of both worlds with a red color.

I hear you. I hate sweet drinks. Someone was talking up Red's. I've had a cherry beer before where it was more of a dry, non-sweet flavor that was just a tinge that was pretty good. But that crap is like apple juice.

I do a lot of brewing (my pic is my 5-tap home-brew keg system on wheels) and I have a favorite hybrid that I call Big Red. I hit it with plenty of malt and Denny's Favorite 50 for a big malt feel and high alcohol and then hop it like an IPA. Best of both worlds with a red color.
Awesome! That sounds very cool. If you had to compare it to a beer that is on the market, what would you say it comes closest to?

Matuska.

Nice little craft brewery in Czechoslovakia. Very tough to find one of their beers. But keep the name in mind should you ever run across one of their offerings. If you find his Stout, buy as much as you can.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back