• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

BEER!

Brown Shugga is back on the shelves so all is right in the world.
I tried a new one for me tonight, Brew Free Or Die, IPA by 21st Amendment Brewery.
21A-BrewFree-2018-12oz-57x108.png
It was quite good. A little spendy, but what the hey. 7% abv 70 IBU's. Worth the ticket price.

Okay, here is another new entry and it was worth the price of admission. Scorpion Bowl IPA, A Punch To The Stinger. From Stone Brewing Co.
322210.jpg
If you see this one, buy it, it's fantastic. Went down smooth, only problem was, I only bought 1 of them. 7.5% ABV. The story on the back of the bottle is whacked out of it's authors mind, but hey, they got the brew right.

So, I'm not sure how I missed this thread for so long, but yes... beer!

I just got a job in the craft beer industry. I have tried so many new beers in the past month that I don't even know where to start. Fort Side in Vancouver, WA makes a solid brown, Couve A'licious. Giant Jones out of Madison, Wisconsin brew small batch, high gravity beers only. Total Blackout by Hopworks Urban Brewery (HUB) is fantastic, as is their Abomination Ale. I could go on and on and on........

But I am tired. The world series was long tonight.

Last edited:
So, I came across a beer I had never heard of before the other day.... They are very proud of their brews on their website, but this was one of the worst beers I've tried this year. ABK Pils. A lager beer weighing in at 5.0% abv, but had a very dank, almost rotten fermented taste. I tried to find a pic of the bottle, but it's not even on their own website. It's ABK PILS. Lager. Not worth even trying ever again, imho. It sucked, I didn't finish it, I poured it down the drain.

Well, it's been a bit since I've revisited this page, but since then, I've had the pleasure of a handful of new brews and 3 of them came from a sampler 12 pack from Sierra Nevada. One was okay, one was not so okay, and the 3rd one, surprised me a bit. The first one, Holliday Haze IPA, 6.5% abv. I enjoyed this one, but it's not really a go to brew like a Lagunitas would be. Not bad though, I'd try it again.
snowpack2018holidayhazebottlepint.png

This next one, I didn't care for at all, also from Sierra Nevada, and coming in at 6.7% abv. Winter Warmer Lager. MEH, enough said. Not worthy of a second sitting.
snowpack2018winterwarmerbottlepint.png

Now, for the third Sierra Nevada, and the one that caught me by surprise. I'm not a big fan of the coffee stout's and or the "burnt" coffee beers. However, Sierra Nevada included this Coffee Stout in the sampler 12 and this was one of them. I was very pleasantly surprised at the drinkability of this brew. Registering at a respectable 6.2% abv, I was bummed that there were only 3 of them in the pack. This one is worth the price of admission for the 12er.
snowpack2018coffeestoutbottlepint.png

A beer I bought on sale just before Christmas, I came to realize why it was on sale. Not worthy of drinking. Can't speak of their other brews, but this one sucked. 6.5% abv
class.timthumb.php

Now, for a 12 pack of brews from the very fine brewery Stone Brewery, I bought a 12 pack sampler about 4 days ago, on sale and it had 2 brews in it that I had not tried before, including one that says it is a "rotating single hop series". Stone Hop Revolver IPA. 7.7% abv, it has a very nice single hop flavor, extremely drinkable. I have 2 left, but they wont make it past Monday. From their on site....
Stone Hop Revolver IPA Mosaic
  • Style: Single-hop IPA
  • ABV: 7.7%
  • Hops: Mosaic
The aim of this experimental, hop-centric series is to demonstrate just how dramatically a single hop can impact a beer. We’ll periodically fire off a variety of single-hopped variations of this IPA. Empty the bright tank of one batch. Reload it with another. Rinse. Reload. Repeat. We invite you to enjoy along with us.
hoprevolver_logo_2018.png

Last edited:
And last but not least, the beer I opened tonight after work. This one is right up there with some of my recent faves. Also a Stone Brewery addition to this list. It's coming in at a stout 8.5% abv. It's worthy of a whole 6er or 12er by itself, just not in the same sitting, LOL.
2018_rui_bottle_12oz.png
Style
Double IPA
Alc/Vol
8.5%
IBUs
100+
Get Social
Ruination
Stone Ruination IPA was the first full-time brewed and bottled West Coast Double IPA on the planet. As craft beer has evolved over the years, so too have techniques for maximizing hop flavors and aromas. When we updated this incarnation in 2015, we employed dry hopping and hop bursting to squeeze every last drop of piney, citrusy, tropical, punk, metal & hard rock essence from the hops that give this beer its hugely assertive character. Now we’ve arrived at its newest evolutionary form by shoving it into the bottle unfiltered (aka sans filtre) and bringing it to you in its most excellently raw form. This beer has always been unbridled. Now it’s unfiltered.

My wife said I could pick up a friend at the liquor store today, she said he was a little blue.
5B37B880-3B94-45A3-99BF-58BB8BDD0535.jpeg

Was in Tampa beach area and didn't see any local brews at the local Winn-Dixie. Ended up buying a variety pack of Sweetwater Brewing Company out of Atlanta.

Some good choices in here:
https://sweetwaterbrew.com/brews/

The variety pack had the following (shown at the link above):

420 Extra Pale Ale = Thought it was good, maybe 7 or 8 out of 10.

IPA = liked better than the 420, maybe an 8.

Mosaic = I really enjoyed this one, not sure what about it made it my favorite of the bunch. I don't usually like my beers too citrusy, but this one was definitely that.

Exodus Jamaican Coffee Porter = Not a big coffee-in-beer fan, so would say I only drank these to not waste them.​

Last edited:

It doesn't seem like that long ago that this thread lost it's mojo. Bought these to get me through the first few weeks of the sequestering. I like both, my wife likes the Arms Race better. Brewed by an Iowa City company; so, can confirm that at least something good can come out of there.
1585523248337.png

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back