• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Beatrice speedster and Nebraska recruit Davie taking on new role

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Reign

Husker Immortal
15 Year Member
FYI....like Sip said....sick....:Biggrin::nod::nod:

Davie ready for multiple roles

According to HuskersIllustrated.com, Davie and DB Tevin Mitchel of Mansfield, Texas, are the fasted players among the 13 pledged to Nebraska's scholarship class of 2011. Both run 4.4 40s.

The 6-foot, 180-pound Davie has a 39-inch vertical leap. That's sick. Sick in a good way.

http://my.journalstar.com/post/Husk...xtra/blog/davie_ready_for_multiple_roles.html

AND:

Conventional wisdom says that sprinters like the heat.

Daniel Davie, however, isn't sure that's a universal truth.

"They say heat is for sprinters, but not when you have 10 pounds of pads on," the sprint sensation from Beatrice said. "It wasn't as hot last spring for track and I think this is a lot harder.

"You can't just run straight in football. You have to have lateral movement and be able to see what's coming."

Davie won the all-class Gold medal in both the 100- and 200-meter races at the state track meet, turning in an electronic 10.74-second time in the 100 and :21.95 in the 200. He had a hand-held time of :10.4 earlier in the spring to move into a tie for fourth on the state's all-time charts.

Davie's speed on a football field hasn't gone unnoticed. He already committed to accept a Nebraska football scholarship. Last fall, he was primarily a wide receiver and had more than 1,000 all-purpose yards for the Orangemen.

"It's a big difference for me this year. I was a deep threat last year, not a workhorse," Davie said. "I'll be playing running back and split out some this year."

The role isn't entirely new to Davie.

"My sophomore year, I played defense on varsity but I was playing running back in junior varsity every play, so I know what it's like," he said. "Last year, I was the third-down outside guy for runs. This year, running will be my primary duty."

Davie said Husker coaches have talked to him about several different potential positions, including cornerback, safety and receiver.

"I'll play whatever helps my team the most. In high school, moving around might make the defense off-balance more," he said. "But football is football. I'm a competitor and I try not to worry about who is hitting me and where."

Beatrice coach Bob Sexton said he also is aware of what an athlete like Davie can do for a team.

"Obviously, he will present problems for opponents, so we just want to get the ball in his hands," Sexton said. "When a team has an outstanding athlete, you might try to scheme for him. Daniel will be all over the field.

"When you have a kid who can run the 40 in under 4.4 seconds and has a 39-inch vertical jump, you want to move him around to keep the defense off-balance."

Davie said he's looking forward to his senior season, particularly two games. On Sept. 17, Beatrice plays at defending champion Aurora, featuring Super-Stater Tyson Broekemeier. On Oct. 8, the Orangemen travel to Crete to play the Cardinals, with Ryne Reeves, another Husker recruit.

"I've got both of those marked on my calendar. Reeves is a cool guy and I've gotten to know him pretty well," Davie said. "But that night, he's my enemy. I've also gotten to be good friends with Tyson, but it's the same thing with him as it is with Ryne."

http://journalstar.com/sports/high-school/football/article_e6cae464-a812-11df-a729-001cc4c03286.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back