• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bear Attacks

Bean

Grey Shirt
10 Year Member
Last edited:

Soldier Killed in Bear Attack on Alaska Military Base​

I was stationed at Elmendorf

We had a bear den at the end of the flight line but all the bears were tagged

Hibernation a big chunk of the year of course

Break up going on right now after the long winter

Bears would come into the housing areas on base on occasion to dumpster dive. They would shoot them when they did that

Moose were more of a nuance all over Elmrndorff and Richardson and we had a young lady killed when her car collided with one

Had a wolf den too. Do not remember any incidents with them

Going to be interesting to see what they find out

Last edited:

I'm a little worried about NE Iowa.

I was stationed at Elmendorf

We had a bear den at the end of the flight line but all the bears were tagged

Hibernation a big chunk of the year of course

Break up going on right now after the long winter

Bears would come into the housing areas on base on occasion to dumpster dive. They would shoot them when they did that

Moose were more of a nuance all over Elmrndorff and Richardson and we had a young lady killed when her car collided with one

Had a wolf den too. Do not remember any incidents with them

Going to be interesting to see what they find out
There was never a dull day on Elmendorf while I was up there tdy, always seemed to have unscheduled breaks during the day while waiting for wildlife to clear the area.

There was never a dull day on Elmendorf while I was up there tdy, always seemed to have unscheduled breaks during the day while waiting for wildlife to clear the area.

Moose were the biggest pain

My daughter's on-base elementary school (DODS) had to hold the kids over a few times at the end of the day as just one of many examples

Bears normally were dumpster diving but that was done what rare

Moose in the road all over the base espically with their young ones was common and nothing to mess with

"Leah Davis Lokan, a 65-year-old cyclist from California, was killed in July 2021 while camping in Ovando, Montana, located east of Missoula. Lokan and a couple who was camping next to her were woken up in the middle of the night by a bear near their tents.
After making loud noises and scaring away the bear, Lokan removed food she had in her tent, including packaged snack foods and dried lentils, and put it inside a nearby building before returning to her tent with a can of bear spray. About an hour later, the bear returned and mauled Lokan to death."

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back