• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bass Fishing

Can't wait until it cools down here!
Or here. Fish are lazy now in florida until last couple of days. Texas rigged with Rage Strike green pumpkin crawdad was gang busters, now for some reason they are biting on Beetle Spin crappie lure-chasing it down. Go figure those stupid fish. Blue gill love the Chartreuse Beetle spin 1/8 oz. hope this can help anyone.

Or here. Fish are lazy now in florida until last couple of days. Texas rigged with Rage Strike green pumpkin crawdad was gang busters, now for some reason they are biting on Beetle Spin crappie lure-chasing it down. Go figure those stupid fish. Blue gill love the Chartreuse Beetle spin 1/8 oz. hope this can help anyone.

I just need to get off my butt and go after work. I haven't even gotten my license this year, but heat has been my excuse.

Well I'm a little late to the thread, but if it's about bass fishing I don't want to miss out.

My fishing is eastern Nebraska. I split time between my regular boat and a small 2 man that I use on the real small lakes. At my age I have plenty of time for fishing, in fact I've fished the last 3 days. I like to paint my own crank baits, and put together my own chatter baits.

Here's a couple crank baits that I painted.

IMG_1983.JPG
IMG_3537.JPG

Well I'm a little late to the thread, but if it's about bass fishing I don't want to miss out.

My fishing is eastern Nebraska. I split time between my regular boat and a small 2 man that I use on the real small lakes. At my age I have plenty of time for fishing, in fact I've fished the last 3 days. I like to paint my own crank baits, and put together my own chatter baits.

Here's a couple crank baits that I painted.

View attachment 49487View attachment 49488
I'm impressed with the artwork. Heck, in our schuyler area as a kid, our uncle would take us seining for minnows and we'd spend our nights nightcrawler hunting and head to the sandpit and catch a slew of crappie and bullhead, then go to the loup canal and catch some rather large channel cats.

I'm impressed with the artwork. Heck, in our schuyler area as a kid, our uncle would take us seining for minnows and we'd spend our nights nightcrawler hunting and head to the sandpit and catch a slew of crappie and bullhead, then go to the loup canal and catch some rather large channel cats.

Those sandpits hold some nice fish. The smaller lakes I fished this week were originally old sandpits, but were turned into public water many years ago. Almost all the sandpits along the Platte had water in them from the 2019 flood, messed some of them up.

I do all of my fishing in the summer and early fall, on a lake in northern Minnesota where I have a place. Since it is northern Minnesota, the bass do not grow to jumbo size, but I have caught some 4 pounders in the lake and my neighbor (who is out there fishing just about every evening) says he has caught 5 to 6 pounders.

The lake is only about 200 acres, and not very deep. The deepest part is 22 feet. There are a lot of lily pads and weeds.

There are only 5 species of fish in the lake and no trash fish at all…..largemouth bass, northern pike, crappies, bluegills and perch. The fishing pressure is light because most of the people who live on the lake seem to only be interested in circling the lake in their pontoon boats.

I don’t think I have ever once gone out fishing on the lake and not caught something. I usually take my kayak out since I do catch and release anyway. The kayak can be a bit of an issue when I hook a large northern because they pull me around until I am able to land them. :) Or until they break the line, but that is why I use a leader so at least their teeth don’t sever the line. I also have pretty good luck just casting from my dock.

I have found that the lure that works best…..in fact I don’t remember ever really catching anything on anything else….is a black Beetle Spin. Other colors don’t seem to work at all, and I think it is because the black color mimics the bass, northern and perch minnows in the lake.

rs.php

I know that the Beetle Spin is an “old,” passe lure and has been around for probably over 50 years, but it works so I plan to keep using it. The problem sometimes is finding them in black.

Anyway, my technique is just to cast to the lily pad lines and reel in slowly, and I almost always catch quite a few fish. If there is a crappie school in the vicinity at the time I can catch a crappie on just about every cast, and I also catch the larger bluegills who are able to get the lure in their mouths. I don’t enjoy catching the northerns but there is no way to avoid them because they inhabit the same areas as the bass. Trying to land those suckers and then get the hook out in a kayak is not much fun.

But the bass are plentiful and almost always eager to bite, so I have a great time.
I catch blue gill galore on the grub one (chartreuse) and wife catches bass replacing the grub with the small curved tail worm. cheap to buy at wally store.

Bring on tropical storms. In my newly found knowledge on barometric fishing (it's florida and tropical storms lower it), the pressure is dropping faster then Kordell Stewart against the blackshirts and 2 hours of fishing brought 9 bass. they love the zoom green pumpkin/chartreuse worm.

I also have a bias against fish you don't eat, such as carp

I grew up eating carp. I think they're a very tasty fish. My mom was really good at scoring and cooking them. It's one of my favorite fish for eating. :Rockon:

If you'd like to try carp and get to Omaha, go to Joe Tess Place on So. 24th St. Their fish dinners and fish sandwiches are carp. They also have catfish, trout and tilapia, but I prefer the carp. :Smile:

I grew up eating carp. I think they're a very tasty fish. My mom was really good at scoring and cooking them. It's one of my favorite fish for eating. :Rockon:

If you'd like to try carp and get to Omaha, go to Joe Tess Place on So. 24th St. Their fish dinners and fish sandwiches are carp. They also have catfish, trout and tilapia, but I prefer the carp. :Smile:
LOL! Carp and Catfish, both tasty but both nasty at the same time. I've zero need for either fish in my diet ever again.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back