• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Baseball Scheduling Strategy

Husker Mort

Heisman
5 Year Member
With Erstad/Bolt/Silva now officed on Line Drive and the program entering one of the nation's weakest baseball conferences, what should the scheduling strategy be?

A. Warm-weather tourneys against top-notch competition and then ride out conference play? (Wait-and-See Strategy)
B. Expand the regional presence with non-con games against Creighton, Wichita St., and former Big 8 foes? (Midwest Supremacy Strategy)

or

C. Treat conference play as anti-climatic weekend tune-ups to midweek RPI bonanza games against high profile squads? (Anybody. Anywhere. Strategy)

...you can tell which option is my preference. Thoughts?

If I still was in the area I'd probably prefer B the most. I like regional style baseball in general. Living outside the area now, I'd go with either A or C, probably C.

What you do is use what is already a proven model for winning: The Wichita State model.

Take on all comers in non-conference at home or away. Schedule them whenever you can, beit early season weekend tourneys, or mid-week during the conference season.

Then pitch your top pitchers against these teams and put your 3, 4, & 5 on the mound for the Purdues of the world.

The "must win" games are against the top rpi teams, not Indiana, Minnesota, or Penn State

Unless you want to recruit regionally and not nationally, by all means, play a bunch of cupcake midwestern schools.

What you do is use what is already a proven model for winning: The Wichita State model.

Take on all comers in non-conference at home or away. Schedule them whenever you can, beit early season weekend tourneys, or mid-week during the conference season.

Then pitch your top pitchers against these teams and put your 3, 4, & 5 on the mound for the Purdues of the world.

The "must win" games are against the top rpi teams, not Indiana, Minnesota, or Penn State

Also known as the "Fresno State Model". I agree with you completely - no need to save your weekend starters for the weekend when you're going up against the #112 RPI squad.

I am pretty sure Erstad is going with the play the best model based on his recent comments.

Exactly, Erstad has already stated that he wants to go out of conference and play the best. According to coach Erstad, next years schedule may include Texas, Cal St. Fullerton, Arkansas and UC-Irvine, among others.

As a recruiting incentive, every year the Shockers take a week long trip to Hawaii and play the local teams.

Something to think about.

Here's the answer. Love it!

Erstad wants league-wide culture change Nebraska baseball coach Darin Erstad looked at the 2012 non-conference schedule when he was hired last summer and thought it needed an upgrade. So he added California, a 2011 CWS participant.

He’ll have full control of the pre-league slate in 2013. And while speaking at a Nebraska athletic club luncheon last week, Erstad gave an early preview of possible opponents (nothing’s been finalized yet): Texas, Arkansas, UC Irvine, Cal State Fullerton and Kansas State.

Why so tough? For one, Erstad said, he wants his team familiar with the nation’s best. How else are the Huskers going to make a run in June?

“No disrespect to the conference, but ultimately, conference titles aren’t good enough for me. We’re going for the whole thing,” Erstad said. “I’m not going to go out there and play Tennessee Tech A&M or Texas Kingsville A&M AT or whatever the heck they’re calling it.”

... Next year we’re going to flip that thing upside down. We are going to have a top 30 SOS.

http://sports.omaha.com/2012/02/08/nu-baseball-erstad-wants-league-wide-culture-change/

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back