• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Baseball for Dummies

H

Huskerlicious Lee

Huskers.com has a story about Tuesday's baseball game with a headline about a WALKOFF SINGLE.
What the heck is that?

I found this with a quick search:
There isn't even an agreement of what qualifies as a "walk-off" event. Some say it must be a home run, and that there is no such thing as a walk-off single.

The term was first used by Dennis Eckersley when he gave up that famous World Series home run to Kirk Gibson.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Baseball-Trivia-General-2552/Walk-hits.htm

I have heard the term used before. I agree that "Walk off Homerun" is more common, but any game-ending hit is sometimes referred to as "Walk off."

but any game-ending hit is sometimes referred to as "Walk off."

Or some would say that any game ending play in which the winning run crosses the plate could be construed as "walk off", i.e. "walk off balk", "walk off walk", "walk off passed ball", etc...

Or some would say that any game ending play in which the winning run crosses the plate could be construed as "walk off", i.e. "walk off balk", "walk off walk", "walk off passed ball", etc...
Chuckle. walk-off sac fly, walk off error, walk-off hit batsman, walk-off stolen base.

One interesting thing I'm not sure of: normally, when a guy gets a hit that drives in the winning run, he is credited with a single even if the ball is hit into the corner or off the wall. What if the bases are loaded, and a guy hits what would probably be a triple, but the third run, the guy on first, is the winning run. Is the batter credited with just a single, or would he be creditied with something better, a double or triple? If the batter has passed second when the winning run scores, would it be a double? And if the batter actually makes it to third before the winning run scores, would it be a triple?

Last edited:

One interesting thing I'm not sure of: normally, when a guy gets a hit that drives in the winning run, he is credited with a single even if the ball is hit into the corner or off the wall. What if the bases are loaded, and a guy hits what would probably be a triple, but the third run, the guy on first, is the winning run. Is the batter credited with just a single, or would he be creditied with something better, a double or triple? If the batter has passed second when the winning run scores, would it be a double? And if the batter actually makes it to third before the winning run scores, would it be a triple?

Iirc, if the batter hits one to the gap, and the winning run scores from third, regardless of what the hit "would've been", he gets just a single. So, with the score tied and the bases loaded and two out, regardless if two or three runs would've scored, he gets one rbi...

Chuckle. walk-off sac fly, walk off error, walk-off hit batsman, walk-off stolen base.

depends where the batter gets when the winning run scores. As you say if the winning run is on first and the batter can get to 3rd they could give him a triple, but most likely only a double as you would think the runner on first would score before the batter gets to third, so he would only get a double, kinda of like when the batters gets thrown out at third trying for a triple he gets the last base he pasted which would be a double.

he would get credited with the last bag he touched before the winning run crossed the plate, at which point the play is dead. Unless, it was deemed a fielders choice as most walk-offs are, (say the batter rounded 1st with one out and the fielder chose/had to throw home to prevent the winning run from scoring even though he had an easy play for a useless out at 2nd)

Hey thanks. About baseball, I'm getting 'smarter' by the word. GBR!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back