• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Baseball America article on Bubba Starling

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskerInOkieland

Heisman
15 Year Member
Clicked onto the Baseball America website and there to my surprise was a picture of Bubba Starling and a feature story on him. The article is titled "In Demand" and the caption below the picture states "Bubba Starling could be a first-round draft pick in next year's draft." The teaser also goes on to say he has five-tool ability and is one of the top talents in next year's draft.

The article is reserved for subscribed readers (although it will be printed in a future addition of the magazine). It states much of which we already know, he is perhaps the top two-way player in the draft. By two-way, they mean he can pitch or play outfield. He is 6'5" with blazing speed. He is also a star basketball player to boot. This guy is starting to remind me of Josh Hamilton who had very much the same profile (and ironically was drafted one round ahead of Carl Crawford in the same draft by the same team.)

He talks about playing two sports at NU and how great the coaching staffs are.

This kid is a special talent. I don't know if he will end up here or not. But at least NU should receive some nice pub along the way even if he doesn't.

no way the kid comes here...if Martinez is the real deal he wouldnt get any pt at qb and he really wouldnt want to get any anderson stink on him either

Does anyone know which sport Bubba likes the best?

If it is baseball, then he will not play for Nebraska. If it is football then it is Sure $$$ vs pitential future $$$ in FB. If he comes to Nu and plays both sports he has a big chance to slip in draft position in baseball while at NU. MA has not been the greatest at developing pitchers over the years.

no way the kid comes here...if Martinez is the real deal he wouldnt get any pt at qb and he really wouldnt want to get any anderson stink on him either

If he doesn't end up at NU, I think the money will have much more to do with it than the reasons mentioned above. He has already stated that competition does not bother him, and how much he likes both coaching staffs (and he has had a lot more personal contact with them than we have).

If it is baseball, then he will not play for Nebraska. If it is football then it is Sure $$$ vs pitential future $$$ in FB. If he comes to Nu and plays both sports he has a big chance to slip in draft position in baseball while at NU. MA has not been the greatest at developing pitchers over the years.

He is a pitcher and outfielder. Many scouts like him more as an outfielder. He has big size, plus great speed, and of course the great arm. He may not be just first round. His tools put him high in the first round.

My guess is, he goes professional baseball as an outfielder. That is just my experience following these types of tools. He may get 3.5 to 4 million dollars. Maybe more depending on certain variables.

And to another poster, I doubt T-Mart will have any bearing on Bubba's decision at all.

most of what i've heard and read from fellow stitch heads suggests he prefers baseball, and also pitching, which may be a hangup, because as HIO said many teams are looking at him in the OF. But, if he projects in the first round (which is looking likely at SP, and increasingly so at OF) I think he's gone. I don't think he'll improve his rule 4 standing enough in 3 years to justify passing on his first chance if in fact he goes first round. If he falls into the supplemental or 40-something range then I think he's N.

either way, we're probably in for a mauer-type situation. Sign a LOI in february, and wait until june to see if it holds up

I honestly dont think he ever dons a NU jersey for football, but it wont sting as much with Jamal coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back