• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Banker's Thoughts on Firing

I am sure Banker was not fired until the Diaco deal was agreed upon by both parties. At that point, you have to let him go before word leaks, as it always does. Besides, you don't want him on the recruiting trail forging relationships if he is going to be cut. If the Diaco deal would have fallen through, Banker would probably still have a job.

Last edited:

What would you have done? Remember, you have a short window to hire the guy, and Banker is in Oklahoma. Arkansas and others are contacting your guy. You don't want to get into a salary battle with an SEC team.
I agree with your post. Besides, we don't really know the full story, I am sure there is more to it also.

Last edited:
I would have called him to the office and told him BEFORE he was on the recruiting trail. Riley did not decide to make the change in a five minute brain burst.

One of the articles said that Banker was on the way back from vacation and was enroute to a recruit when he got the call.

Encouraged that Riley can make tough decisions.

Edited for clarity

Last edited:
I'm not going to 2nd guess Riley on this. Clearly what happened is they got to the deal with Diaco and for recruiting's sake he then had to make the change immediately, not wait for Banker to come back. And he couldn't tell Banker he had to come back from his trip early or Banker would have asked why and then Riley would have had to tell him anyway. Grown men aren't going to wait on something like that.

I do understand the sting for Banker, though and I'm not going to 2nd guess him either. He has a long relationship with Riley and he worked hard for him and for Nebraska too. I'd be a little pissed if I was him as well. But I'll bet he comes to understand it and he and Riley patch things up.

I'm impressed with Banker's other comments. He gets it and he's not a whiner. I like him, he made the defense better this year, and I would have been happy for him to stay. But I'm even happier with the new guy.

This is the big time and Riley has to move quickly. That's just how it is.

I'm not going to 2nd guess Riley on this. Clearly what happened is they got to the deal with Diaco and for recruiting's sake he then had to make the change immediately, not wait for Banker to come back. And he couldn't tell Banker he had to come back from his trip early or Banker would have asked why and then Riley would have had to tell him anyway. Grown men aren't going to wait on something like that.

I do understand the sting for Banker, though and I'm not going to 2nd guess him either. He has a long relationship with Riley and he worked hard for him and for Nebraska too. I'd be a little pissed if I was him as well. But I'll bet he comes to understand it and he and Riley patch things up.

I'm impressed with Banker's other comments. He gets it and he's not a whiner. I like him, he made the defense better this year, and I would have been happy for him to stay. But I'm even happier with the new guy.

This is the big time and Riley has to move quickly. That's just how it is.
Good points Nut! And like I said before there is no good way to be fired

Zero doubt about it - Banker is pissed off.

"I had to find out from Mike (Riley), after working together for 20 years, over the phone," said Banker, referring to the Husker head coach. "He called me on my cell phone as I was in an airport headed to Tulsa, Oklahoma, to see (2017 prospect) Kamren Curl.

"You work together for so long ... I know it's difficult to tell somebody you're not going to renew their contract, but if that's what you're going to do, you do it like men do it," Banker said. "You do it face-to-face and say it's not going to work out. It would have been a lot better than having to hear it on the phone from a guy you've known for 20 years.

"That was just disappointing for me to find out like that. I know it was tough for Mike. But we're two grown-ass men."

And...wait for it...so what?

Mr. Nice Guy MR shows some spine.. good for him.

Sorry Banker, you should have seen the writing on the wall through out the year and handed in your resignation before he could fire you.

Banker was quoted as saying "Be grown men about it. It's a communication thing. Let's just be good communicators."

I had a girlfriend break up with me over the phone once, and at no time did I think that she wasn't using good communication.
I was surprised by this move to fire Banker, and yes it certainly isn't optimal to do it that way. But it seemed to me a number of times Banker seemed to be stunningly and embarrasinly (and flippant) clueless in his own communications with his players and others.

That said, I have been and am more concerned about Cavanaugh than Banker. IMO Cav had better produce next year.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back