• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Banker's Thoughts on Firing

Zero doubt about it - Banker is pissed off.

"I had to find out from Mike (Riley), after working together for 20 years, over the phone," said Banker, referring to the Husker head coach. "He called me on my cell phone as I was in an airport headed to Tulsa, Oklahoma, to see (2017 prospect) Kamren Curl.

"You work together for so long ... I know it's difficult to tell somebody you're not going to renew their contract, but if that's what you're going to do, you do it like men do it," Banker said. "You do it face-to-face and say it's not going to work out. It would have been a lot better than having to hear it on the phone from a guy you've known for 20 years.

"That was just disappointing for me to find out like that. I know it was tough for Mike. But we're two grown-ass men."

Can a coach make reference to an unsigned recruit like that?

Reminds me of the outcry from the players when they learned Pelini was fired via text.

In both situations, there wasn't a better option.

"I don't badmouth anybody. But I have never talked to him. I've seen him, tried to speak to him. Nothing ever really resonated. Coach John Parrella has been there a few weeks, and we probably talked six, seven, eight times over the last few weeks. Same with Coach Riley. Coach Banker has been there over a year, and I never even saw him, never received a text, a call, anything.

"I'm an adult. I don't really get hurt about too many things, especially not if someone isn't reaching out. To me personally, it's more that it would be nice for a defensive coordinator to at least show some appreciation or level of respect for an individual."

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/tbl-in...cle_5a223622-080e-11e6-8893-f7d0ed63d783.html

Banker was quoted as saying "Be grown men about it. It's a communication thing. Let's just be good communicators."

I had a girlfriend break up with me over the phone once, and at no time did I think that she wasn't using good communication.

"She gave me a bunch of crap about me not listening to her, or something. I don't know, I wasn't really paying attention." :nod:

"I don't badmouth anybody. But I have never talked to him. I've seen him, tried to speak to him. Nothing ever really resonated. Coach John Parrella has been there a few weeks, and we probably talked six, seven, eight times over the last few weeks. Same with Coach Riley. Coach Banker has been there over a year, and I never even saw him, never received a text, a call, anything.

"I'm an adult. I don't really get hurt about too many things, especially not if someone isn't reaching out. To me personally, it's more that it would be nice for a defensive coordinator to at least show some appreciation or level of respect for an individual."

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/tbl-in...cle_5a223622-080e-11e6-8893-f7d0ed63d783.html

mike drop. (no pun intended)

Wouldn't expect anything less from you. Truth sucks.

OK, I am going to help you out here, because you're struggling a little bit and quite frankly it's kind of embarrassing. When someone behaves in what you perceive to be an uncouth or inappropriate manner, but you think it's consistent with their overall character, you say "I wouldn't expect anything more from you."

When someone is performing up to your high expectations, you say "I wouldn't expect anything less from you."

You're unwittingly complimenting someone that you're actually trying to insult.

That said, I wouldn't expect anything more from you.

this just looks bad all the way around, and no one comes away unscathed.

- banker for being a bit childish and airing this issue in the papers, in the sensitive, news hungry environment that is Nebraska. if i didn't know better, i would say banker is trying to poison the well on his way out. another thing: why not just hash it out (in person, maybe) with your "friend of over 20 years" before talking to the media?

- This was tough for mike riley, and most people in that situation wouldn't have the guts to tell a close personal 20 yr friend by themselves. But obviously those who don't like mike to begin with just got a lot more ammo.

- Mckewon and sipple just look a bit silly for rushing to press so quickly. they did their jobs, but they could have given mike and the administration a heads up. this just adds unnecessary drama to a weekend that's already critical for this recruit class.

- if you look at player's tweets, i think the general consensus is that they are happy banker was fired. they probably should stay away from such related tweets before they get caught up in the drama.

if i were riley, i wouldn't even say a word about banker to the press anymore.

What would you have done? Remember, you have a short window to hire the guy, and Banker is in Oklahoma. Arkansas and others are contacting your guy. You don't want to get into a salary battle with an SEC team.
I would have called him to the office and told him BEFORE he was on the recruiting trail. Riley did not decide to make the change in a five minute brain burst.

I would have called him to the office and told him BEFORE he was on the recruiting trail. Riley did not decide to make the change in a five minute brain burst.
No, but neither did he decide until the last few days and Banker was already out of town on vacation. He was heading to a recruit directly from that vacation without stopping in Lincoln first.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back