• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Banker's Thoughts on Firing

Banker was quoted as saying "Be grown men about it. It's a communication thing. Let's just be good communicators."

I had a girlfriend break up with me over the phone once, and at no time did I think that she wasn't using good communication.

So you're saying it worked just as well over the phone as it would have in person. No harm no foul then.

Zero doubt about it - Banker is pissed off.

"I had to find out from Mike (Riley), after working together for 20 years, over the phone," said Banker, referring to the Husker head coach. "He called me on my cell phone as I was in an airport headed to Tulsa, Oklahoma, to see (2017 prospect) Kamren Curl.

"You work together for so long ... I know it's difficult to tell somebody you're not going to renew their contract, but if that's what you're going to do, you do it like men do it," Banker said. "You do it face-to-face and say it's not going to work out. It would have been a lot better than having to hear it on the phone from a guy you've known for 20 years.

"That was just disappointing for me to find out like that. I know it was tough for Mike. But we're two grown-ass men."

Time was critical in this. Diaco was being sought after by at least one other big-time program and Banker was away on vacation.

I like Banker, and feel for him. I hope he lands on his feet and succeeds at his next stop. But this is big boy football, and I really don't care if the non-renewal had to be done over the phone.

"I had to find out from Mike (Riley), after working together for 20 years, over the phone," said Banker, referring to the Husker head coach. "He called me on my cell phone as I was in an airport headed to Tulsa, Oklahoma, to see (2017 prospect) Kamren Curl.

"You work together for so long ... I know it's difficult to tell somebody you're not going to renew their contract, but if that's what you're going to do, you do it like men do it," Banker said. "You do it face-to-face and say it's not going to work out. It would have been a lot better than having to hear it on the phone from a guy you've known for 20 years.

"That was just disappointing for me to find out like that. I know it was tough for Mike. But we're two grown-ass men."
So? He's a grown assed man. He can get over it.

I don't know if it applies to "grown-ass men", but it certainly applies to professionals: There is no reason to make any of this public. Going out of your way to bad-mouth your old boss generally isn't a good look for anyone. Especially not within 24 hours of it happening, using the media.

Last edited:

Wasn't it the firing dead period? Pretty sure he couldn't do an in-home firing. Banker should just be glad HCMR didn't type it out onto his phone's note pad and post a screenshot of it to Twitter.

Last edited:
So I guess it would have been WAY better if he found out:
From a reporter?
From a recruit?
From some jerk on Twitter?

by fax?

you-re-fired-o.gif

Nothing like this ever remains a secret for long, especially in Lincoln. Banker was on the road. Maybe Mike wanted to ensure that he at least spoke to him on the phone before he heard it elsewhere.

Not an ideal situation for either guy. The fact that they were/are friends had to make that much more difficult.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back