• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Baked Beans

It has been so long since I made baked beans that I cannot even remember what all I used to put in them. Limited carbohydrates has cut a bunch of my cooking repertoire.

Although I can say that the one thing I always insisted on was actual molasses, and a long bake with rehydrated dry beans.

BEST BARBECUED BEANS ON THE PLANET
Ingredients:
1 pound smoked bacon cut into 1/4 inch slivers
1 can (15 ounces) black beans
1 can (15 ounces) dark red kidney beans
3 cans (each 15 ounces) baked beans
1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
1 poblano pepper or green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 to 6 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced (for hotter beans, leave
the seeds in)
2 cups sweet red barbecue sauce (your favorite commercial brand)
1-1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar, more or less depending on BBQ sauce
1/2 cup Dijon mustard, or more to taste
2 TBSP liquid smoke if not cooking in a smoker
Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper

Other Items Needed:
1 large (turkey-size) or 2 medium-size aluminum foil pans; 2 cups wood
chips or chunks (preferably pecan or hickory) soaked for 1 hour in water to cover then drained

Directions:
Place the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat and fry until crisp and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Pour off all the bacon fat, saving a few tablespoons for the beans, if desired.

Empty the cans of black and kidney beans into a colander and drain. Rinse the beans under cold running water and drain again. Place all the beans (including the baked beans or pork and beans) in a large nonreactive mixing bowl’

Then add onion, bell and poblano peppers, garlic, and jalapenos and stir to mix. I usually saute in bacon drippings but you can add them raw.

Add the barbecue sauce, brown sugar, mustard, liquid smoke, if using, and bacon and stir to mix. Taste for seasoning, adding more brown sugar and/or mustard as necessary, and salt and black pepper to taste. The beans should be very flavorful. Transfer the bean mixture to the aluminum foil pan or pans. (You can drizzle a few tablespoons of bacon fat over the beans for extra flavor.)

Set up the grill for indirect grilling and preheat to medium-low. If using a gas grill, place all of the wood chips or chunks in the smoker box or in a smoker pouch and run the grill on high until you see smoke, then reduce the heat to medium-low. If using a charcoal grill, preheat it to medium-low, then toss all of the wood chips or chunks on the coals.

When ready to cook, place the pan of beans in the center of the hot grate, away from the heat, and cover the grill. Cook the beans until they are thick and richly flavored, about 2-3 hours depending on temp. If the beans start to dry out, cover them loosely with aluminum foil. Remove the beans from the grill and let them rest for 15 minutes, then serve.

Does anyone have a really good baked beans recipe?
make this with it as we call it crack cocaine salad as once you eat it you simply can't stop.

Best Macaroni Salad

Serves 16

16 oz small macaroni

Bag shredded carrots

1 red onion chopped

½ gr pepper

½ red pepper

1 cup celery

2 cups mayo

1 14 oz sweetened condensed milk

½ cup sugar

½ cup white vinegar

Salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add macaroni, and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Rinse under cold water, and drain.
  2. In a large bowl, stir together the carrots, red onion, green pepper, red pepper and celery. Mix in the mayonnaise, condensed milk, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper. Add the macaroni, toss gently, cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours. I usually make this a day ahead of time, and stir it occasionally to blend the flavors. The macaroni will absorb some of the liquid.

From Kent Rollins... damn good and pretty easy. I usually use bacon bits - saves time and clean up.​

Ingredients​

• 6 slices thick cut bacon
  • 1 26 oz can Ranch Style or Chili Beans
  • 1 28 oz can Pork ‘n Beans
  • 1 7 oz. can chipotle peppersadobo sauce chopped, I use 1/4 can.
  • 1 medium yellow onion chopped
  • 1- 1 1/2 tablespoons yellow mustard
  • 1 1/2 - 2 cups light brown sugar - I use about 1/2 cup
  • 1/2-1 cup BBQ sauce

Instructions​

1. Cut the bacon into 1-inch pieces. Add to a skillet and cook over medium-high heat until about ¾ done. Set aside.
  2. Using a colander, drain the juices from the beans. Add to a 12-inch Dutch oven.
  3. Stir in the chipotle peppers, to taste. Stir in the onion, mustard, brown sugar, BBQ and bacon. Adjust taste, if needed.
  4. Cook over coals until the mixture reaches a boil, let simmer a few additional minutes and the mixture thickens just slightly. Serve warm with a slotted spoon.

Recipe Notes​

If cooking in the house use an 11x13-inch casserole dish. Cook at 350 degrees F. for about 30 – 40 minutes.
For a less intense heat, lessen the amount of chipotle peppers and adobo sauce.

My wife found this recipe a few months ago. We all really like it.

For the bbq sauce, she uses sweet baby rays

In lieu of the cans of beans with tomato sauce, she's just been using cans of van kamps pork n beans.

20211121_230125.jpg

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back