• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bacon wrapped Grilled Cheese Sandwich...

Give it a shot, you won't be disappointed. I do make my burger fairly large though, roughly 1/3 pound range with a 50/50 mix of ground pork and ground, grass fed chuck. Not sure if the size/makeup have a huge impact but that's what I've always done. Oh, and I use hickory and apple for the burgers.

Dumb question, but I am intrigued. When you say you use apples, do you just mean slices on top while the burger is smoking? Mine (burgers) aren't quite 1/3 pound range, more 1/2. I also use a 25/75 combo with ground beef and ground elk-beef just giving it enough fat for the patty to hold shape. The apples sound really good and I never thought of it. How do you do it?

Dumb question, but I am intrigued. When you say you use apples, do you just mean slices on top while the burger is smoking? Mine (burgers) aren't quite 1/3 pound range, more 1/2. I also use a 25/75 combo with ground beef and ground elk-beef just giving it enough fat for the patty to hold shape. The apples sound really good and I never thought of it. How do you do it?

I can't really answer for King, but I think he was talking about both Hickory and Apple Woods, not actual apples, but I could be wrong there.

I was actually referring to the type of wood I used to smoke the burgers. Your beef/elk burgers are intriguing as I have never tasted elk but have heard that its really, really good.

Lol...that went right over my head..geez. Never tried applewood. Think I might have to give that a go soon.

King,

I love elk; if you try to cook them most anyway, purely the elk meat alone, the lack of fat in the meat will leave your patty fairly unstable and it tends to break apart.

Add some fatty ground beef (80/20) and she will hold together really well. I am not keen on deer, although I really don't have any complaints; just a bit gamey. Elk on the other hand lacks that "game" taste, in my opinion. Very lean meat, tastes great.

Lol...that went right over my head..geez. Never tried applewood. Think I might have to give that a go soon.

LOL. All good. Yes, definitely give the applewood a try. Its incredible when smoking pork, especially.

King,

I love elk; if you try to cook them most anyway, purely the elk meat alone, the lack of fat in the meat will leave your patty fairly unstable and it tends to break apart.

Add some fatty ground beef (80/20) and she will hold together really well. I am not keen on deer, although I really don't have any complaints; just a bit gamey. Elk on the other hand lacks that "game" taste, in my opinion. Very lean meat, tastes great.

I do have access to elk meat so I will have to get some and give this a try.

King,

I'll be checking my local grocer, that carries some game meats, this weekend now.

I'm not a fan of deer because I think it is gamey but if Elk is lean without the gamey taste, I'm in! Thanks.

I'll be checking my local grocer, that carries some game meats, this weekend now.

I'm not a fan of deer because I think it is gamey but if Elk is lean without the gamey taste, I'm in! Thanks.

Be prepared for sticker shock. I don't recall exactly how much it was but the last time I was at the butcher, I saw some and remember it being expensive.

Pictures or it didn't happen
:Timeout:
Next time I go to J O'Gradys. See second to last entry at bottom of menu:

61361e9a-3e1c-4ff3-a55e-26370ad8baa5.jpg

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back