• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Backup Plan

Complete and utter speculation but I do wonder if the family has already made a decision and the country-wide tour is simply a hedging strategy. Build relationships with all of these guys, "just in case".

The above speculation is based on no information, insider knowledge, or expertise whatsoever. It merely representing the mental wanderings of an insomniac at 2:30 am while sitting in his La-Z-Boy praying for sleep or a glorious death.
Usually when I come up with my best ideas!!!

Complete and utter speculation but I do wonder if the family has already made a decision and the country-wide tour is simply a hedging strategy. Build relationships with all of these guys, "just in case".

The above speculation is based on no information, insider knowledge, or expertise whatsoever. It merely representing the mental wanderings of an insomniac at 2:30 am while sitting in his La-Z-Boy praying for sleep or a glorious death.
I hadnt thought of that but now that you mention it with the portal it's an obvious smart play for a guy in his shoes.

Who would be on the list for QB recruitment if the #1 target for 2024 does not end up as a Husker?
According to one recruiting site, 4**** Dante Reno, a current South Carolina commit, has been getting a lot of attention from NU lately, due to their uncertainty re: Raiola. He's a little short @ 6' IMPO.

Last edited:

It's early April. Have all the good QBs already committed? I trust the HC and his guys have thought of lots of options. If this was late November, then maybe I'd get concerned.

I think you do need one every year. You just can't get caught short in that room after kids transfer. You need at least 3 that can play now and another couple of guys waiting in the wings.
As much as I don't like the portal we can get decent QB's that are less risky than a HS QB. I'm not sure it's absolutely critical that we get a HS QB this year if it's not our top 1 or 2 choice. I think you continue to pursue DR hard and not take someone you aren't absolutely sure of. I think we have plenty of QB's and yes, I realize it's likely 2 will portal before the fall. I think once recruits see how we will play, then we can zero in on a really good 2025 QB.

If you look at our current QB room, who's likely to be our starter? Sims or Thompson (both portal transfers). Actually the transfer portal might the most efficient way to stock your QB room. Having said that, we also need HS QB's. I think come fall, we'll have Sims, Thompson and two of the following: (Haarberg, Purdy, Smothers & Torres). 4 is plenty, so unless we get DR or our other top choice, I think we are going to be okay for this next cycle.

As much as I don't like the portal we can get decent QB's that are less risky than a HS QB. I'm not sure it's absolutely critical that we get a HS QB this year if it's not our top 1 or 2 choice. I think you continue to pursue DR hard and not take someone you aren't absolutely sure of. I think we have plenty of QB's and yes, I realize it's likely 2 will portal before the fall. I think once recruits see how we will play, then we can zero in on a really good 2025 QB.

If you look at our current QB room, who's likely to be our starter? Sims or Thompson (both portal transfers). Actually the transfer portal might the most efficient way to stock your QB room. Having said that, we also need HS QB's. I think come fall, we'll have Sims, Thompson and two of the following: (Haarberg, Purdy, Smothers & Torres). 4 is plenty, so unless we get DR or our other top choice, I think we are going to be okay for this next cycle.
We could probably get DR in the portal next year.

Purdy looked terrible when he took live-action snaps last year. I don't know that the type of offense HCMR will run suits Smothers' skillset. Haven't really seen anything of Haarberg or Torres. A lot will be fleshed out with the QB's (as well as all positions) as spring practice continues. I'd expect to see more than a couple of players hit the transfer portal, and more than a couple that haven't made much of a splash so far emerge as major contributors.

Purdy looked terrible when he took live-action snaps last year. I don't know that the type of offense HCMR will run suits Smothers' skillset. Haven't really seen anything of Haarberg or Torres. A lot will be fleshed out with the QB's (as well as all positions) as spring practice continues. I'd expect to see more than a couple of players hit the transfer portal, and more than a couple that haven't made much of a splash so far emerge as major contributors.
If I had to predict the transfers is would be Smothers and Torres and possibly Purdy. I think Haarberg sticks for sure. Again, you can get a good QB in the Portal. I think Sims stays at least 2 seasons. Right now, I think Purdy will stay or Smothers will stick it out, but two transfer for sure. The question is what D1 program would offer them? The Portal numbers are staggering, so not everyone has a seat in D1. They probably fall to a No. Iowa, Youngstown State level.

I still firmly believe that HCMR told Dylan that he's the only QB we're interested in... perhaps Dylan is testing him to see if this in fact true.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back