• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Backup Plan

If coach would've put him in, in the 4th quarter, they'd have taken state.
For sure

ResizedP_8434a446-c913-46a7-b692-2cf25295ba1b_764629600696645.gif

That's my bigger point, though. You have too many spares and you'll never keep them all. Guys who feel like they can play aren't going to sit fifth or sixth on depth chart, they'll go elsewhere. You'll spend time trying to develop guys who never play a snap for you. Better to not take those reps from the guys who will contribute.

You might not keep them all, but if you don't have them when your heir says adios and your king has a hunting accident, bye bye kingdom. Abandoning one silly metaphor for another, think of developing backups as insurance. You might not need it – probably won't need it – but if you don't have it when disaster strikes, you're potentially screwed. The 49ers had a good backup ready to step in when Garoppolo went down, but when Purdy also went down, yeesh!

You might not keep them all, but if you don't have them when your heir says adios and your king has a hunting accident, bye bye kingdom. Abandoning one silly metaphor for another, think of developing backups as insurance. You might not need it – probably won't need it – but if you don't have it when disaster strikes, you're potentially screwed. The 49ers had a good backup ready to step in when Garoppolo went down, but when Purdy also went down, yeesh!
Definitely need depth- I'm not arguing against depth. I do think there is a point where you can have too much depth. Think you need to strike a balance.

Definitely need depth- I'm not arguing against depth. I do think there is a point where you can have too much depth. Think you need to strike a balance.
Having different QBs in two very QB driven systems is the greater problem these last two years.
Its always good to have your OC know his QBs very well whether he's their coach or not. I think OC under SF was lacking in different ways.

Having different QBs in two very QB driven systems is the greater problem these last two years.
Its always good to have your OC know his QBs very well whether he's their coach or not. I think OC under SF was lacking in different ways.
I agree, we had two very different styles of quarterbacks on the roster from two different systems. Doesn't do you much good to have a mobile quarterback in a drop back QB system, and visa versa.

I agree, we had two very different styles of quarterbacks on the roster from two different systems. Doesn't do you much good to have a mobile quarterback in a drop back QB system, and visa versa.
Beyond that is where your OC puts his guys in position to win, plays to their strengths,not only to their strengths,as what we saw, but in positions where they can succeed

I can accept that for last year. The year previous they had a 4 year starter and the offense still was underwhelming!

I can accept that for last year. The year previous they had a 4 year starter and the offense still was underwhelming!
No WRs, no consistent run game, a QB who ran so well he got hurt, played hurt etc, O line was so inconsistent it made AM the runner he is today so to speak.
Now,put a rookie in there in an offense so reliant upon AMs running, not by choice either.
Theres some talent in that QB room, as our best QB runner left, without having AMs arm and experience, and under this system, he couldnt make it go either.
The rest have a little, a lot of run or are better passers

No WRs, no consistent run game, a QB who ran so well he got hurt, played hurt etc, O line was so inconsistent it made AM the runner he is today so to speak.
Now,put a rookie in there in an offense so reliant upon AMs running, not by choice either.
Theres some talent in that QB room, as our best QB runner left, without having AMs arm and experience, and under this system, he couldnt make it go either.
The rest have a little, a lot of run or are better passers
Qb and offensive line play are the two biggest variables for 2024. Just hope that Rhule and Satterfield can design their offensive game plan to maximize what they do best. What exactly that is, I am not sure LOL

Qb and offensive line play are the two biggest variables for 2024. Just hope that Rhule and Satterfield can design their offensive game plan to maximize what they do best. What exactly that is, I am not sure LOL
Having to have a run game coordinator should tell us something of our recent past. Having MR say DR runs his O line the way he likes fits this as well. Having questions about DR does as well, since Whip wasnt exactly a run first grinder type.
This all brings us back to our QBs and WRs. Protection,run game and having multiple targets with both run game and pass game complimenting each other much more will make all our QBs look much better. imo

I read somewhere that USC already has a 5 star QB committed. If so, how he would feel about DR being recruited there as well.
That was last year's class. Ga. has a top QB in this class though already committed. Like top 7'ish IIRC.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back