• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Backup Plan

Hard to say right now, given we haven't seen what style of offense we are actually going to run. Per 247Sports, we've offered 7 QBs (including Raiola) out of the 2024 class. Two of those have already committed elsewhere. The only one that seems to be trending up is Daniel Kaelin, who is a 3* out of Bellevue, NE.

We have a lot of QBs already on our roster. Obviously, Raiola would be a game changer. But, I'd like to see figure out if any of the guys on our roster are going to have potential. With the portal, you don't necessarily have to sign a QB in every recruiting class.

Hard to say right now, given we haven't seen what style of offense we are actually going to run. Per 247Sports, we've offered 7 QBs (including Raiola) out of the 2024 class. Two of those have already committed elsewhere. The only one that seems to be trending up is Daniel Kaelin, who is a 3* out of Bellevue, NE.

We have a lot of QBs already on our roster. Obviously, Raiola would be a game changer. But, I'd like to see figure out if any of the guys on our roster are going to have potential. With the portal, you don't necessarily have to sign a QB in every recruiting class.
I think you do need one every year. You just can't get caught short in that room after kids transfer. You need at least 3 that can play now and another couple of guys waiting in the wings.

I think you do need one every year. You just can't get caught short in that room after kids transfer. You need at least 3 that can play now and another couple of guys waiting in the wings.
What you said. Recruit to replace. The alternative to that is to not recruit snd hope and pray they stay.

I agree that you need depth, but I'd rather not take someone during a recruiting cycle than grabbing one or two guys who don't have much of a shot to play. We need to avoid situations where we have 7-10 guys in the quarterbacks room. People are going to struggle to adequately develop if you have too many. You also don't need to grab someone, just to grab someone. I feel like in the past we've grabbed a guy during recruiting, just because we felt like we needed a QB in the class, not because we ever expected them to develop.

I certainly wouldn't fully rely on the portal for QBs, but it can be a nice tool to fill some of the gaps, especially as the years move forward and guys move out/flame out.

Generally, you need "the guy" and then two adequate backups (ideally separated by a couple years).

I agree that you need depth, but I'd rather not take someone during a recruiting cycle than grabbing one or two guys who don't have much of a shot to play. We need to avoid situations where we have 7-10 guys in the quarterbacks room. People are going to struggle to adequately develop if you have too many. You also don't need to grab someone, just to grab someone. I feel like in the past we've grabbed a guy during recruiting, just because we felt like we needed a QB in the class, not because we ever expected them to develop.

I certainly wouldn't fully rely on the portal for QBs, but it can be a nice tool to fill some of the gaps, especially as the years move forward and guys move out/flame out.

Generally, you need "the guy" and then two adequate backups (ideally separated by a couple years).

In ancient times, you needed a king, an heir, and at least one spare (probably more than one because the heir or spare may turn out to be incompetent or may have hunting accidents that render them unable to perform). The problem now is that the heir and spare can choose, at any time, to move to different kingdoms. You might or might not be able to steal competent replacements from other kingdoms. So you'd better have a stockpile of spares just in case.

In ancient times, you needed a king, an heir, and at least one spare (probably more than one because the heir or spare may turn out to be incompetent or may have hunting accidents that render them unable to perform). The problem now is that the heir and spare can choose, at any time, to move to different kingdoms. You might or might not be able to steal competent replacements from other kingdoms. So you'd better have a stockpile of spares just in case.
That's my bigger point, though. You have too many spares and you'll never keep them all. Guys who feel like they can play aren't going to sit fifth or sixth on depth chart, they'll go elsewhere. You'll spend time trying to develop guys who never play a snap for you. Better to not take those reps from the guys who will contribute.

We'll target the Nebraska QB's in this class as the backups.
Already lost Synek who played a bit last year. Daniel Kaelin has a great set of offers, but I don't know that he'll stick around to be invited to be class QB late in the cycle. What other QB in state would Nebraska bring in? (Not sarcastic, curious)

Agree to most of this. Watching Iowa struggle at their QB position, while also using the portal now twice, to me it shows an underachieving qb room and or recruitment or both.
Watching Minny,it appears the opposite,same could be said for Mich
and to an extent,wiscy.

This proves you dont have to be a Okie/USC/OSU/Bama.
Lets hope the staff knows exactly what they want, and how to coach em up.
Under Mike Riley, we had a walk on play fairly well,another under SF to do the same.

I think MR is going to be quite happy and likely have to make some tough decisions

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back