• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Background checks

YUENGLING

Travel Squad
10 Year Member
Does anyone know if coaches do any kind of background checks on recruits? Are they allowed to look at discipline records( more than likely unavailable unless a wavier is signed) or are teacher interviews done? With the most current news on the two former players now under investigation for 7 reported sexual assaults/rapes it’s another thing that coaches need to consider.
I know the coaches make a lot of money but with these things becoming more and more prevalent in college life it’s just another thing to worry about and more pressure. I firmly believe this staff will always do the right things for these young man and are disheartened by this latest news.
It should be an NCAA responsibility to put in place some way to screen for possible problems. Possibly a requirement for all scholarship athletes have five teacher or administrative character references completed and signed and shared with coaches and college administrators. Grades certainly are important and everything is done by the NCAA to ensure students are academically eligible. There are now 7 young women who are victims now if any assault could be prevented It should be examined. The NCAA must take the lead in this growing problem not the coaches. Student athletes are getting full scholarships they should have some way to prove they aren’t dangerous and can provide character references.

I would think informal at a minimum, but good question. ?

Aren't juvenile court records sealed? If so, it seems like it would be difficult to do in-depth searches on all the players a school is potentially interested in. Are the results of police investigations sealed?

I would imagine teachers, administrators, parents, and HS coaches are verbally spoken with. Not to mention, the college coaches talking to him in depth. Sometimes you have to go with your gut, but even that is not without some risk.

Last edited:

Juvenile court records are sealed and require a court order. Correct that they rely on coaches, administrators, teachers and other references. The risk is there as you are never sure you are getting the full truth. A few go off the rails when they leave home and have a lot of free unsupervised time. Coaches cannot be with them all the time.

Parents guardians can sign police checks just like for military I would think to authorize local checks.
I was a recruiter and there is a kid or teacher with the dirt if there is any.
Sexual misconduct opens up a lot of tough stuff to deal with. I would hope we always err on the side of caution.
J

Why relationship building with schools is important! Trust is hard to earn but easy to lose. Think a lot of these coaches shoot straight the best they can, trying to get a kid in a better position coming out of HS than going in. This requires not burning colleges and hurting other opportunities for other student athletes.

Part of the official visits is finding out a bit more about how the kid handles himself. I seem to remember a couple of players who got to campus and the current players gave feedback that we shouldn't take him.

It's been a few years now since my last kid was qualified through the NCAA Clearinghouse. I don't recall if that was just academics or if it went further. Anyone else know?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back