• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

B1G's Dave Revsine at practice today

8-4 is not a really good year. In fact 9-3 has gotten coaches fired here. If Frost doesn’t at least split Iowa and Wiskey it’s time to move on. (Well it was time to move on last year but firing Frost was unaffordable)
Two games won't make or break the season on their own. Everyone would take 10-2 with the only losses to Wisky and Iowa. We'd all talk about how it we should have been 11-1 or 12-0, but we'd take it. 8-4 would be a good year after 3-9 and what we've had the last 4 years and a good season to build on. For me personally, 8-4 is the minimum record where I won't have reservations about the staff being back.

I'm more concerned about being 5-2 then ending the season losing 5 straight than just the Wisky and Iowa games. There is so much season before those two games. I hope Frost's seat has cooled so much by that time that we aren't waiting on those game results to figure out if this staff will be back. If this team gels and continues to improve over the season, I'll have much less worry about those two games. If they continue to find ways to lose, those games may not matter WRT Trev's decision.

8-4 is not a really good year. In fact 9-3 has gotten coaches fired here. If Frost doesn’t at least split Iowa and Wiskey it’s time to move on. (Well it was time to move on last year but firing Frost was unaffordable)
Firing 9-3 coaches is a big part of how we got to 3-9. The ADs who fired 9-3 coaches are rightly vilified as the worst ADs in Husker history (Pederson and Eichorst). Do you really want to align yourself with those guys?

8-4 is not a good year relative to 1997, but this is not 1997.
Moving from 3-9 to 8-4 would be a huge turnaround and would be an excellent foundation for building the program going forward. Recruiting would likely make a significant jump and the team would have a taste for winning and a better idea of how to build a durable winning culture going forward. We’d have a decent bowl matchup and the chance to go 9-4. Winning begets winning. You’d want to pull the plug on that?

I live in Wisconsin. I hate losing to Wisconsin every year. I hate losing to Iowa. I’d like to get to the point where we beat both of them some years, if not every year. I’m with you on that. But if you give a 3-9 (15-29) coach “one more chance” and then pull the rug out from under him at 8-4 it’s not going to be all that easy to find and hire the next “great” coach, no matter how bad SF was before going 8-4. The optic would be horrible for ADTA. He’d look like Steve Pederson 2.0.

Firing 9-3 coaches is a big part of how we got to 3-9. The ADs who fired 9-3 coaches are rightly vilified as the worst ADs in Husker history (Pederson and Eichorst). Do you really want to align yourself with those guys?

8-4 is not a good year relative to 1997, but this is not 1997.
Moving from 3-9 to 8-4 would be a huge turnaround and would be an excellent foundation for building the program going forward. Recruiting would likely make a significant jump and the team would have a taste for winning and a better idea of how to build a durable winning culture going forward. We’d have a decent bowl matchup and the chance to go 9-4. Winning begets winning. You’d want to pull the plug on that?

I live in Wisconsin. I hate losing to Wisconsin every year. I hate losing to Iowa. I’d like to get to the point where we beat both of them some years, if not every year. I’m with you on that. But if you give a 3-9 (15-29) coach “one more chance” and then pull the rug out from under him at 8-4 it’s not going to be all that easy to find and hire the next “great” coach, no matter how bad SF was before going 8-4. The optic would be horrible for ADTA. He’d look like Steve Pederson 2.0.
Don't agree AT ALL. To go 0-10 against Wisky and IA is to say you are ok being the 4th or 5th best program in the BIG West despite spending more on recruiting, having way more support etc. I was a HUGE Frost proponent and supporter until he kept an obviously inept staff going into year 4. The Frost era has been a failure by any measure. To go 8-4 and continue to be at best in the middle of the weaker BIG division is not acceptable.

Don't agree AT ALL. To go 0-10 against Wisky and IA is to say you are ok being the 4th or 5th best program in the BIG West despite spending more on recruiting, having way more support etc. I was a HUGE Frost proponent and supporter until he kept an obviously inept staff going into year 4. The Frost era has been a failure by any measure. To go 8-4 and continue to be at best in the middle of the weaker BIG division is not acceptable.
Okay, I see this season as a pathway upward and not an endpoint. After 4 miserable years, I don’t see suddenly becoming elite as a realistic possibility. The AD has done his job and given the head football coach the tools and the mentoring needed to move upward. 8-4 would be moving upward. I’d expect continued progress going forward. But it’s really up to SF to get the job done. I’d like our program to eventually be elite again, but it’s extremely unlikely to happen in one season.

By the way, where did I say I was okay with going 0-10 against Wisconsin and Iowa? Are you replying to someone else’s post here? Did you not see in my post that I said I’d like to get to the point where we beat both Wisconsin and Iowa some years if not most years? I don’t ever want to lose to either one of them. But I’m not going to base hiring or firing a football coach on the outcome of two games only.

I get where you are coming from. You want excellence in our football program. So do I. The last 5 years have been absolutely miserable. It’s been a very long time since we’ve seen excellence. Unfortunately it isn’t going to happen over night or in one season. And I agree with you that it should have happened already. 3-9 was unacceptable. 15-29 is unacceptable. But here we are. ADTA is going to be watching the program and evaluating for interim progress and improvement. I could see an 8-4 record with losses to Wisconsin and Iowa as interim improvement for one season, and a pathway upward. But like you, losing to them both every year is not an acceptable endpoint for me.

Our schedule is bubble gum this year. There are 6 automatic wins baked into the schedule. To me, Frost’s job comes down to three games.

Minnesota
Wisconsin
@Iowa

He has to win two out of three. He does this and he gets to 8 wins. Still, his overall record would be 23-33 here which wouldn’t fly anywhere else in a major conference, but with the changes he’s made I could see a reason for retention.

That’s just me. Hard to know where Trev’s head is at. Maybe he didn’t like his hiring options last go-round. Maybe he’s just a fiscal hawk. Perhaps he just isn’t that concerned with winning. Not sure what’s going on in his mind, I just hope he has a good plan in place. He brought back two generationally bad coaches. He needs to hit on at least one of them in my opinion. If he brought back Frost and Hoiberg just for them to completely tank again, I would question his decision making and ability to be an effective athletic director at this level.

There are lots of ways this season could end at 8-4, including with wins over Wisconsin and Iowa.

There isn't really any logical path to 8-4 that doesn't include 3 conference losses so even with wins over Wisky and Iowa, 8-4 likely means NU doesn't win the West. I get wanting and needing to beat those two regularly, but I just don't see those two games alone being the definition of whether 2022 season is made or broke. Go 8-4 by beating OU and Mich, but lose to Wisky and Iowa is still a pretty strong season for a team that went 3-9 last year.

Our schedule is bubble gum this year. There are 6 automatic wins baked into the schedule. To me, Frost’s job comes down to three games.

Minnesota
Wisconsin
@Iowa

He has to win two out of three. He does this and he gets to 8 wins. Still, his overall record would be 23-33 here which wouldn’t fly anywhere else in a major conference, but with the changes he’s made I could see a reason for retention.

That’s just me. Hard to know where Trev’s head is at. Maybe he didn’t like his hiring options last go-round. Maybe he’s just a fiscal hawk. Perhaps he just isn’t that concerned with winning. Not sure what’s going on in his mind, I just hope he has a good plan in place. He brought back two generationally bad coaches. He needs to hit on at least one of them in my opinion. If he brought back Frost and Hoiberg just for them to completely tank again, I would question his decision making and ability to be an effective athletic director at this level.

1. If we beat Oklahoma, Michigan, Purdue and the rest of the teams on our schedule and lose two out of 3 to Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa to finish 10-2, I will have a bitter taste in my mouth from losing to those teams but I will still do cartwheels of joy at having completely turned the program around. After I think about it for a while during bowl preparations I’ll lose the bitter taste and feel pretty good about things while I look forward to the possibility of winning the bowl to go 11-2 in what would really be a generational turnaround. But if we lose all three of those games to finish 5-7 and 6-6 I’ll be ready to move on. The other games matter. A lot. Every game matters. In my mind, the season comes down to the next week, every week, one game at a time. Every week is a chance to show that you’ve turned the program around.
2. I believe Trev wants to win, but he wants to build a winner for the long haul. Frost needed to make changes. Hoiberg needed to make changes. There were culture issues within both programs. Had either coach stood pat and refused to make changes I do not think they would have been retained. Trev also needs to manage the budget properly in order to build consistent winners. Paying multiple coaches to not coach is not good for the budget. He still has time with his decision making regarding those two coaches. If they run out and lay an egg again this year, they’ll just be gone. Trev will fire them and move on, and he will have almost universal support in doing so.

Minnesota
Wisconsin
@Iowa

Given recent history, I am curious which 6 games you have Nebraska “automatically” winning this season.

Last edited:

Given recent history, I am curious which 6 games you have Nebraska “automatically” winning this season.
Well, you are right. Nothing is automatic with this program anymore. They have 6 very winnable games that they will be heavily favored in. These are games we should win if there’s real improvement.

This thread at this point in time has nothing to do with the original topic and the first few posts

Folks complaint again about another hijack when they are coming for information etc

RR

Okay, I see this season as a pathway upward and not an endpoint. After 4 miserable years, I don’t see suddenly becoming elite as a realistic possibility. The AD has done his job and given the head football coach the tools and the mentoring needed to move upward. 8-4 would be moving upward. I’d expect continued progress going forward. But it’s really up to SF to get the job done. I’d like our program to eventually be elite again, but it’s extremely unlikely to happen in one season.

By the way, where did I say I was okay with going 0-10 against Wisconsin and Iowa? Are you replying to someone else’s post here? Did you not see in my post that I said I’d like to get to the point where we beat both Wisconsin and Iowa some years if not most years? I don’t ever want to lose to either one of them. But I’m not going to base hiring or firing a football coach on the outcome of two games only.

I get where you are coming from. You want excellence in our football program. So do I. The last 5 years have been absolutely miserable. It’s been a very long time since we’ve seen excellence. Unfortunately it isn’t going to happen over night or in one season. And I agree with you that it should have happened already. 3-9 was unacceptable. 15-29 is unacceptable. But here we are. ADTA is going to be watching the program and evaluating for interim progress and improvement. I could see an 8-4 record with losses to Wisconsin and Iowa as interim improvement for one season, and a pathway upward. But like you, losing to them both every year is not an acceptable endpoint for me.
It would be great if Frost could suddenly discover how to become a competent coach. To date, he has showed an utter inability to succeed at this level. I can’t think of a case where a coach failed for 4 years, trending either flat or downward and then suddenly righted the ship in year 5. It took Alvarez a while to turn things around but his teams generally trended up.

I’ll cheer like heck and hope I am wrong. I give Frost credit for the off season both recruiting and coach additions. He did about as well as he could have given his track record. But if the Huskers win 8 or 9 games this year, you’ll likely see another mass exodus of players heading out to the NFL and he’ll have to reload through the portal again.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back