• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

B1G's Dave Revsine at practice today

Firing 9-3 coaches is a big part of how we got to 3-9. The ADs who fired 9-3 coaches are rightly vilified as the worst ADs in Husker history (Pederson and Eichorst). Do you really want to align yourself with those guys?

8-4 is not a good year relative to 1997, but this is not 1997.
Moving from 3-9 to 8-4 would be a huge turnaround and would be an excellent foundation for building the program going forward. Recruiting would likely make a significant jump and the team would have a taste for winning and a better idea of how to build a durable winning culture going forward. We’d have a decent bowl matchup and the chance to go 9-4. Winning begets winning. You’d want to pull the plug on that?

I live in Wisconsin. I hate losing to Wisconsin every year. I hate losing to Iowa. I’d like to get to the point where we beat both of them some years, if not every year. I’m with you on that. But if you give a 3-9 (15-29) coach “one more chance” and then pull the rug out from under him at 8-4 it’s not going to be all that easy to find and hire the next “great” coach, no matter how bad SF was before going 8-4. The optic would be horrible for ADTA. He’d look like Steve Pederson 2.0.
BEST pre season post. Firing good coaches because they’re not great coaches is hopefully a thing of the past. Alberts isn’t going to fire a coach making progress regardless of the record. A very good transfer portal haul as well as a solid ( coming off a 3-9 record) recruiting class and an outstanding upgrade in assistants is PROGRESS.
I am looking forward to progress on the field and I believe it will happen but it’s hard to argue there hasn’t been progress this off season. There’s an incredible amount of pressure at Nebraska ( I would say it’s in line with the Alabama’s, Ohio State’s of college football) compared to Minnesota, Illinois, Purdue or many of the other Big Ten schools.I wouldn’t want it any other way but as the previous post stated you simply can not fire 9-3 coaches twice and expect anyone in their right mind to accept a head coaching job there.

It would be great if Frost could suddenly discover how to become a competent coach. To date, he has showed an utter inability to succeed at this level. I can’t think of a case where a coach failed for 4 years, trending either flat or downward and then suddenly righted the ship in year 5. It took Alvarez a while to turn things around but his teams generally trended up.

I’ll cheer like heck and hope I am wrong. I give Frost credit for the off season both recruiting and coach additions. He did about as well as he could have given his track record. But if the Huskers win 8 or 9 games this year, you’ll likely see another mass exodus of players heading out to the NFL and he’ll have to reload through the portal again.
Having enough talented dudes to actually have a mass exodus to the NFL would be a good year over year problem to have.
Winning begets winning and string several really good years together and you have to rely less on the portal for a complete reload; just use it to add key pieces here and there.

Having enough talented dudes to actually have a mass exodus to the NFL would be a good year over year problem to have.
Winning begets winning and string several really good years together and you have to rely less on the portal for a complete reload; just use it to add key pieces here and there.
Or as we've seen,get that hot QB

It would be great if Frost could suddenly discover how to become a competent coach. To date, he has showed an utter inability to succeed at this level. I can’t think of a case where a coach failed for 4 years, trending either flat or downward and then suddenly righted the ship in year 5. It took Alvarez a while to turn things around but his teams generally trended up.

I’ll cheer like heck and hope I am wrong. I give Frost credit for the off season both recruiting and coach additions. He did about as well as he could have given his track record. But if the Huskers win 8 or 9 games this year, you’ll likely see another mass exodus of players heading out to the NFL and he’ll have to reload through the portal again.
It’s pretty hard to find an example of someone at a P5 program with Nebraska’s history and tradition who has been given as long of a runway as Scott Frost has. Most of the time the boosters get restless, the AD gets anxious and the fans stop coming to games or start saying they’ll stop coming. Kind of a perfect storm at Nebraska has aligned to give coach Frost one more chance. Having the coach be a former player and the AD also be a former player kind of changes things. Even with 15-29 it’s hard to cut ties with one of your own. It’s hard to imagine anyone else having that long of a runway. But the former player AD has given the former player head coach the resources and the mentoring to get it done. It’s fourth and goal and time is running out. Guess we’ll see how it turns out.

As for another “mass exodus” to the NFL, I would love to see a bunch of Nebraska players play well enough to get drafted or at least have chances as free agents. That would likely mean that the team played well and had some measure of success. If Thompson and Trey Palmer are gone via the NFL draft, we probably had a real good year offensively. Some of the need for portal reloading has already happened with this year’s portal haul (Purdy) and with regular recruiting (Crawford, Bonner and Jones). I hope we get to the point where we have a mass exodus to the NFL every year.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back