• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

B1G: Teams Will Remain In Helmet Only Practices; Season To Be Canceled?

My older brother used to win a lot of arguements debating by making up numbers and then his opponent never asking the source.

You can also win arguments when you back up what you say. From the CDC on handling contagious diseases on airlines. This is what they said was being used for contract tracing today with covid.

CDC has developed instructions (protocols) for investigating contagious diseases. CDC uses these protocols to identify passengers who may have been exposed during a flight. Identifying contacts is based on the disease, how it spreads, and where a passenger was seated in relation to the index patient.

An example is shown here of the seating chart used for TB, measles, and rubella contact investigations. Shown in blue-green are the seats of the exposed passengers who will be notified. They sat on the same row, two rows in front of, and two rows behind the index patient (shown in red). Only passengers seated in the contact zone are considered at risk. The contact zone will differ based on the disease and transmission method.

Last edited:

As I said in another post this is not going away so the argument for Liability of playing and health issues will always be there. Even the great Fauci says only 50% will be cured by vaccines and then take into account people won’t take the vaccine because they are scared of that. These presidents of universities will find out soon enough there are greater things than getting sued. There is no common sense by anybody in this even Dr Rob said play football. The bottom line football players are safer playing then out in about in the public sector. Spring is not going to be better either for virus and think about impact on other sports I can’t believe these highly educated people are seriously coming up with these ideas. At some point we have to man up and keep going if players want to play then let them play if they don’t then they can sit out. I have to work 96 hours a week dealing with COVID I could quit and I have family of 4 but guess what I won’t get paid I could sue and all that other stuff. It’s safer for me at work than going to Home Depot. We need to start living or get busy digging our own graves. These positive numbers aren’t accurate either I have five people I work with stand in line to get tested got tired of standing there after giving all their information and guess what 2 days later after not being tested they where informed by testing site they where positive.

Sorry but until there is a coordinated Federal plan and response, the chaos and cancellations continue. 50 states doing different things is never going to work for sports if you are playing outside of your geography.

As I said in another post this is not going away so the argument for Liability of playing and health issues will always be there. Even the great Fauci says only 50% will be cured by vaccines and then take into account people won’t take the vaccine because they are scared of that. These presidents of universities will find out soon enough there are greater things than getting sued. There is no common sense by anybody in this even Dr Rob said play football. The bottom line football players are safer playing then out in about in the public sector. Spring is not going to be better either for virus and think about impact on other sports I can’t believe these highly educated people are seriously coming up with these ideas. At some point we have to man up and keep going if players want to play then let them play if they don’t then they can sit out. I have to work 96 hours a week dealing with COVID I could quit and I have family of 4 but guess what I won’t get paid I could sue and all that other stuff. It’s safer for me at work than going to Home Depot. We need to start living or get busy digging our own graves. These positive numbers aren’t accurate either I have five people I work with stand in line to get tested got tired of standing there after giving all their information and guess what 2 days later after not being tested they where informed by testing site they where positive.

Actually, what Fauci and other experts have said is that any particular vaccine may on offer 50 to 60 percent efficacy, and he is hoping for 75 percent, but doesn’t expect 98 percent.

We won’t know how effective the vaccines are going to be for a while, but it’s something to look forward to as one component of making our country a little safer. Unfortunately, we have people who think the Earth is flat, the moon landing was faked, and that vaccines cause Autism. So many will ignorantly refuse to get vaccinated and continue to make this miserable situation worse.

That said, I’m in favor of allowing people to accept the risk they choose to accept, including playing sports. Take appropriate precautions, and let them play if they want.

We can jump from planes, swim with sharks, get in a ring and punch each other in the head until someone gets knocked unconscious, and drive cars hundreds of miles an hour in a circle, but we can’t accept the risk of a virus if we choose? I don’t get it.

Actually, what Fauci and other experts have said is that any particular vaccine may on offer 50 to 60 percent efficacy, and he is hoping for 75 percent, but doesn’t expect 98 percent.

We won’t know how effective the vaccines are going to be for a while, but it’s something to look forward to as one component of making our country a little safer. Unfortunately, we have people who think the Earth is flat, the moon landing was faked, and that vaccines cause Autism. So many will ignorantly refuse to get vaccinated and continue to make this miserable situation worse.

That said, I’m in favor of allowing people to accept the risk they choose to accept, including playing sports. Take appropriate precautions, and let them play if they want.

We can jump from planes, swim with sharks, get in a ring and punch each other in the head until someone gets knocked unconscious, and drive cars hundreds of miles an hour in a circle, but we can’t accept the risk of a virus if we choose? I don’t get it.

Of course, if you swim with the sharks and one decides to consume your limbs, there isn't a risk of the shark (or the limbless swimmer) spreading the same harm to the old lady in the grocery store two days later.

Yes, the vaccine's effectiveness will be limited by those willing and not willing to take it. Unfortunately, there's polls (whatever they may be worth) that suggest a large percentage will not get vaccinated. From what I've read in social media responses, many/most of those people are the same ones who won't wear masks.

Last edited:
Of course, if you swim with the sharks and one decides to consume your limbs, there isn't a risk of the shark (or the limbless swimmer) spreading the same harm to the old lady in the grocery store two days later.

I get that difference as it relates to the public, but that risk already exist, with or without football. Old ladies going to the store are already putting themselves at risk from all the other people in the store. The old ladies, and the other people in the store should follow all the protocols to mitigate risk if they choose to enter any public venue.

That is not an argument to disallow players from playing football.

I get that difference as it relates to the public, but that risk already exist, with or without football. Old ladies going to the store are already putting themselves at risk from all the other people in the store. The old ladies, and the other people in the store should follow all the protocols to mitigate risk if they choose to enter any public venue.

That is not an argument to disallow players from playing football.

I'm not saying this in regards to whether or not there should be football. I can see both sides of the argument with that -- although I understand I ultimately have zero say. I only know I got my hopes up a few days ago and now they are down.

I'm simply saying there's a significant difference with someone who chooses to put themselves in a dangerous situation, understanding the only danger is to themselves versus someone who chooses to put themselves in danger with the ability to then make it more dangerous for others not involved in that decision.

Last edited:

I'm not saying this in regards to whether or not there should be football. I can see both sides of the argument with that -- although I understand I ultimately have zero say. I only know I got my hopes up a few days ago and now they are down.

I'm simply saying there's a significant difference with someone who chooses to put themselves in a dangerous situation, understanding the only danger is to themselves versus someone who chooses to put themselves in danger with the ability to then make it more dangerous for others not involved in that decision.

I think the Big 10 needs to answer what changed since last week when they released the schedule.

The season wouldn't be cancelled because of possible maybes, the season would be cancelled because the MLB has proved that even with all the best intentions and safety protocols in place, you can't keep the players and coaches safe.

The only way this works is if college football does what the NBA is doing and put everyone in a bubble together. That obviously won't work with the size of rosters, staff, and support staff involved with each team. So it comes down to looking at this in a couple of different ways:

1) For whatever reason, it's not working in the MLB but things will just somehow work out in college football...which makes no sense.

2) Some season is better than no season with the understanding that there will be inevitable spikes in cases and games will get cancelled.

3) With all that is going on right now, is going forward with a college football season really a good idea?
Seems like MLB is still going. I don't follow baseball as closely, but seems like they are still playing? Or did they cancel it all?

You won't stop people from getting it. If your only way to play is 0 cases, then you might as well cancel. If you are ok with teams managing it internally following specific protocols, then you can make it happen. Seems like MLB is doing the latter.

I like the post.

Seems like MLB is still going. I don't follow baseball as closely, but seems like they are still playing? Or did they cancel it all?

You won't stop people from getting it. If your only way to play is 0 cases, then you might as well cancel. If you are ok with teams managing it internally following specific protocols, then you can make it happen. Seems like MLB is doing the latter.

It's still going. Before the season started, there was obvious plans made and protocols put in place just like college football is doing now. I'm sure they expected there to be a couple of cases here and there, but what they weren't expecting is for 14 players on one team to get it all at once on the first weekend and then another team to get hit hard the next. It has led to game cancellations already.

The takeaway from this is that the college football season can start, but there are going to be spikes in cases across college football and games will get cancelled. Knowing this, I'm sure the powers that be are struggling with deciding if a season is really worth going through with or not.

I think the Big 10 needs to answer what changed since last week when they released the schedule.

No, what the Big Ten ought to do is admit the schedule release was predicated on nothing more than wishful thinking and delusion by athletic directors who clearly care about their budgets over athlete welfare. I've lost all respect for Bill Moos. Then a large number of fans need to look themselves in the mirror and admit that in their selfish headlong rush into a season they either downplayed or completely ignored the caveats, and sometimes downright blatant warnings, issued by both conference officials and NCAA president Mark Emmert. I've also lost all respect for people like Rob Zatecheka and several others in "Husker Nation." I really don't think I can be a fan anymore.

Only the willfully blind, or those politically predisposed to be anti-science and anti-intellectual didn't see this coming weeks ago when Emmert said the virus trends were getting worse and not better. A large segment of the American people continue to fail in their response to COVID-19, and this is what happens as a result. I couldn't find who first said or wrote this, but it definitely applies to this situation. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. No college football season is the latest "stupid prize" won by American society.

I doubt that any single new development in the past week pushed the MAC "over the edge" but there have been developments:

1. New research continues to suggest that a percentage of young, previously healthy people who get this virus will incur serious health issues. Anybody who continues to think this is about "old ladies" or other at-risk people is incredibly ignorant.

2. Controlling this virus on a college campus requires measures that are impractical and/or unaffordable.

3. Americans are getting worse, not better in their response to COVID-19.

4. What we know about the transmission of the virus by asymptomatic people just got a whole lot more complicated.

5. The US continues lag in the data scientists need.

6. The American testing "system" is still an unorganized mess.

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 11.51.20 AM.png

Maybe they are looking for a facility that doesn't have any stairs to play the games. Maybe the risk walking up/down stairs has finally gotten their attention. Can't believe they have allowed student athletes to use stairs all of these year knowing the risks to their lives. These heartless money grabbers don't care about player safety if they have allowed stair cases to continue to exist on their campuses.

No, what the Big Ten ought to do is admit the schedule release was predicated on nothing more than wishful thinking and delusion by athletic directors who clearly care about their budgets over athlete welfare. I've lost all respect for Bill Moos. Then a large number of fans need to look themselves in the mirror and admit that in their selfish headlong rush into a season they either downplayed or completely ignored the caveats, and sometimes downright blatant warnings, issued by both conference officials and NCAA president Mark Emmert. I've also lost all respect for people like Rob Zatecheka and several others in "Husker Nation." I really don't think I can be a fan anymore.

Only the willfully blind, or those politically predisposed to be anti-science and anti-intellectual didn't see this coming weeks ago when Emmert said the virus trends were getting worse and not better. A large segment of the American people continue to fail in their response to COVID-19, and this is what happens as a result. I couldn't find who first said or wrote this, but it definitely applies to this situation. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. No college football season is the latest "stupid prize" won by American society.

I doubt that any single new development in the past week pushed the MAC "over the edge" but there have been developments:

1. New research continues to suggest that a percentage of young, previously healthy people who get this virus will incur serious health issues. Anybody who continues to think this is about "old ladies" or other at-risk people is incredibly ignorant.

2. Controlling this virus on a college campus requires measures that are impractical and/or unaffordable.

3. Americans are getting worse, not better in their response to COVID-19.

4. What we know about the transmission of the virus by asymptomatic people just got a whole lot more complicated.

5. The US continues lag in the data scientists need.

6. The American testing "system" is still an unorganized mess.

If only Bill Moos had to worry about a few things. Ive lost all respect for people who dismiss financial and budgetary concerns as if they are no big deal. And if I was a parent of a scholarship track student athlete, I'd be concerned about finances and budgets as well.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back