• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

B1G: Teams Will Remain In Helmet Only Practices; Season To Be Canceled?

Why is MLB continuing even with a few players testing positive for Covid? If they can do it, so can college football and the NFL. I have been saying that for months now that the season will be cancelled, though, just to all the fear mongering media.

Why is MLB continuing even with a few players testing positive for Covid? If they can do it, so can college football and the NFL. I have been saying that for months now that the season will be cancelled, though, just to all the fear mongering media.

STL has missed 2 full series just the past week. The Marlins had 14 out. The commish said if there are three teams or more NOT playing he is shutting it down. They have only been playing 3 weeks. I will be shocked if they finish a 60 game season. So the jury is still out on MLB success. Stand by....

2020 MLB World Series will br won by team with nine players left standing to make up a team. Highly probable the pitcher might be a utility infielder.

Not sure how playing football does or doesn't impact long term complications that may or may not exist.

You don't make the decision to cancel the season because people might possibly have long term complications in a few years, maybe. If that is the case then you will have to cancel every thing everyone does forever until all possible risks have been proven false. You cancel the season because you don't think you can keep players coaches safe. Hard to imagine the conversation going "Yeah, we can keep them safe. Numbers are looking good. We have good protocols in place that are working...but in 3 years, someone might have a negative consequence maybe, so we better cancel." Because then the entire sport would have been canceled from concussion stuff long, long ago. At least those long term consequences are proven!

The season wouldn't be cancelled because of possible maybes, the season would be cancelled because the MLB has proved that even with all the best intentions and safety protocols in place, you can't keep the players and coaches safe.

The only way this works is if college football does what the NBA is doing and put everyone in a bubble together. That obviously won't work with the size of rosters, staff, and support staff involved with each team. So it comes down to looking at this in a couple of different ways:

1) For whatever reason, it's not working in the MLB but things will just somehow work out in college football...which makes no sense.

2) Some season is better than no season with the understanding that there will be inevitable spikes in cases and games will get cancelled.

3) With all that is going on right now, is going forward with a college football season really a good idea?

Guy I play golf with is the Father of a Coach for the St Louis Cardinals. Says his son must stay in his hotel room and meals are delivered 3 times a day.

Unfortunately postponing the season to the spring, after both the MAC and Mountain West recently made that decision this week, is more of a reality now. Prepare yourself Husker fans to sit and wait another 6 months.

If I was a Power Five AD and felt differently than these two ADs, then I would be talking to other like-minded ADs and letting the press know that the majority of ADs don’t share those same sentiments.

The delay only makes sense considering possible legal ramifications. Additionally, imagine an away game, team flys back, upon return suddenly a half dozen who were on that plane test positive. Here in Nevada those exposed are asked to self quarantine for 14 days. If that protocol were used in Nebraska to limit spread of Covid who suits up for the game the following week.

The delay only makes sense considering possible legal ramifications. Additionally, imagine an away game, team flys back, upon return suddenly a half dozen who were on that plane test positive. Here in Nevada those exposed are asked to self quarantine for 14 days. If that protocol were used in Nebraska to limit spread of Covid who suits up for the game the following week.

You know I always wondered about all the people on a plane you'd have to contact if someone ends up positive. Then I saw a story that said they only notify the people two rows up and two rows back. Guess they figure that's as far as it will spread.

That's why they built in flexibility with the schedule. Nobody thought there wouldn't be starts and stops to the season, which is why their schedule made a lot of sense. Of course, now that just seems like they did it to get our hopes up only to completely disappoint us 3 days later

Perhaps you haven't noticed people are still dying resulting from Covid. All it would take is a couple players fromm the same team suffering serious consequences. There exist in this country Lawyers that would jump at the oportunity presented with that scenario. Even if their chance was slim to win such a case they would do it in efforts to negotiate a go away reward. That is my point and I am sure that is being considered by the decision makers..
Football players are already suffering serious injuries as a direct result of football at a rate 50 more times than that of Coronavirus which is just as likely to be indirectly as directly related to football.

I would add Nevada/Las Vegas I think is doing what I would consider a really good job following prevention protocols especially considering the petri dish that is Las vegas. Masks in public places, restaurant seating limited to 4 to a table with tables removed to create 6 foot distancing, 14 day self quarantine post exposure requested, sanitation stations at businesses upon entering, bars not serving food closed, bar tops in restaurants closed .etc. With these in place our cumulative positivety rate was 10.3 % as of Aug 6th 2020. These protocols in place in this petri dish resulting from tourism i.e. a valley in excesss of 2 million in population, larger population than the entire state of Nebraska and especially Douglas County. A gentleman posted earlier that Douglas countys rate was 11%5 dropping to 10.2% essentially the same as Las Vegas. It would seem logical to me if Douglas County, with its limited popuation and much reduced tourism, would put in place similar protocols ( probably with the exception of closing the bars as we all know how that would not sit well in Nebraska) they could easily reduce that number significantly.

You know I always wondered about all the people on a plane you'd have to contact if someone ends up positive. Then I saw a story that said they only notify the people two rows up and two rows back. Guess they figure that's as far as it will spread.
Football players are already suffering serious injuries as a direct result of football at a rate 50 more times than that of Coronavirus which is just as likely to be indirectly as directly related to football.

My older brother used to win a lot of arguements debating by making up numbers and then his opponent never asking the source.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back