• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

B1G removes conference schedules from 2023-24 seasons

No doubt. "Best teams" in CCG ..... now added Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State. In other words, bye bye Huskers ..... and probably Iowa & Badgers too.

Anyway, I can't wait until 3-5-5 schedules. How soon? I assume locked schedule (every year) .... Nebraska-Iowa-Wisconsin-Northwestern or Minnesota. And searching one more non-conference foe from 3 to 4.
Based on everything being said by AD's they are not going to drop to 8 conference games.

So, the old Legends and Leaders was an attempt at balancing the traditional powers in opposite divisions. I thought they did a decent job. When Maryland/Rutgers joined, powers that be took the opportunity to reshuffle to East/West. Anyone who was paying attention could see that the East would more than likely be the power side most seasons. So, now those East teams don't like the possibility of getting upset in the CCG after they got the big eastern rivalries reestablished?

How's this for an idea.
- no permanent cross-overs
- keep 'divisions', but shuffle the teams in each every two years so you can build a home-and-home over the next two seasons.
- Use conference W/L record over prior two seasons to do the shuffle. Top overall is on side A, second overall is side B, etc. (Overall record plus additional tiebreakers of some sort)
- Play all six teams on your side and have predetermined cross-overs. 1A plays 2B, 4B, 6B as an example. 2A plays 1B, 3B, 5B.

Covid year makes it weird if we started right now, but here's how it would shape up.

Ohio State - A1
13​
1​
Iowa - B1
13​
4​
Michigan - A2
10​
5​
Wisconsin - B2
9​
6​
MSU - A3
9​
7​
Minnesota - B3
9​
7​
Purdue - A4
8​
7​
Penn St - B4
8​
10​
Northwestern - A5
7​
9​
Indiana - B5
6​
10​
Illinois - A6
6​
11​
Maryland - B6
5​
9​
Rutgers - A7
5​
13​
Nebraska - B7
4​
13​

Huskers get:
Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Penn State, Indiana, Maryland in 'division'

Cross-overs: something like: Illinois (A6), Purdue (A4), and Michigan (A2)

No doubt. "Best teams" in CCG ..... now added Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State. In other words, bye bye Huskers ..... and probably Iowa & Badgers too.

Anyway, I can't wait until 3-5-5 schedules. How soon? I assume locked schedule (every year) .... Nebraska-Iowa-Wisconsin-Northwestern or Minnesota. And searching one more non-conference foe from 3 to 4.
Agree... and as long as Alvarez and Ferentz are part of the league in some fashion, both Wisconsin and Iowa will be given favorable schedules.

Last edited:
So, the old Legends and Leaders was an attempt at balancing the traditional powers in opposite divisions. I thought they did a decent job. When Maryland/Rutgers joined, powers that be took the opportunity to reshuffle to East/West. Anyone who was paying attention could see that the East would more than likely be the power side most seasons. So, now those East teams don't like the possibility of getting upset in the CCG after they got the big eastern rivalries reestablished?

How's this for an idea.
- no permanent cross-overs
- keep 'divisions', but shuffle the teams in each every two years so you can build a home-and-home over the next two seasons.
- Use conference W/L record over prior two seasons to do the shuffle. Top overall is on side A, second overall is side B, etc. (Overall record plus additional tiebreakers of some sort)
- Play all six teams on your side and have predetermined cross-overs. 1A plays 2B, 4B, 6B as an example. 2A plays 1B, 3B, 5B.

Covid year makes it weird if we started right now, but here's how it would shape up.

Ohio State - A1
13​
1​
Iowa - B1
13​
4​
Michigan - A2
10​
5​
Wisconsin - B2
9​
6​
MSU - A3
9​
7​
Minnesota - B3
9​
7​
Purdue - A4
8​
7​
Penn St - B4
8​
10​
Northwestern - A5
7​
9​
Indiana - B5
6​
10​
Illinois - A6
6​
11​
Maryland - B6
5​
9​
Rutgers - A7
5​
13​
Nebraska - B7
4​
13​

Huskers get:
Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Penn State, Indiana, Maryland in 'division'

Cross-overs: something like: Illinois (A6), Purdue (A4), and Michigan (A2)
Old Legends
  • Huskers
  • Gophers
  • Hawkeyes
  • Spartans
  • Wolverines
  • Wildcats

Agree... and as long as Alvarez and Ferentz are part of the league in some fashion, both Wisconsin and Iowa will be given favorable schedules.
2024 old crossover schedule, Huskers will face Ohio State, Michigan & Penn St. In a row. Yep, favorable schedule :rolleyes:

Ohio State - A1
13​
1​
Iowa - B1
13​
4​
Michigan - A2
10​
5​
Wisconsin - B2
9​
6​
MSU - A3
9​
7​
Minnesota - B3
9​
7​
Purdue - A4
8​
7​
Penn St - B4
8​
10​
Northwestern - A5
7​
9​
Indiana - B5
6​
10​
Illinois - A6
6​
11​
Maryland - B6
5​
9​
Rutgers - A7
5​
13​
Nebraska - B7
4​
13​

Dear lord, that's a disturbing chart.

Is it so much those individuals or is it an anti-Nebraska conspiracy? Or, as likely spun by the league officials, people want to see those historical program matchups...

Divisions offer more scheduling commonality, which helps from punishing teams that have tough in-conference schedules. Cross-divisional games were always a wild card, but generally speaking the best team in at least one of the divisions was the best team in the conference.

The main reason for scrapping divisions is because you are less likely to get a team to the CFP. If you can pit your top two against each other it does more for the winning team's resume and makes them more likely to make the playoff. I think getting rid of divisions hurts the overall balance of the conferences, but does more to help ensure you get representation in the playoff, which is ultimately all they are concerned about.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back