• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

B1G removes conference schedules from 2023-24 seasons

if their ending dvisions just get it over with, invite florida, clemson, texas A&M and mizzou

florida/a&M/Mizzou have no exit fee since they are sec schools. only have to bail out clemson. tv contract locks in 75% of the country.

Iowa
Wisconsin
Penn State
Balance and equity, as well as geography, should be considered if there are going to be 2 or 3 protected games.

In the case of three protected games, I would propose placing conference teams into three tiers based on some combination of recent success and historical success. Then every team gets one protected game from each tier. For example:
-- Tier 1: Ohio St., Michigan, Penn St., Wisconsin
-- Tier 2: Iowa, Michigan State, Nebraska, Northwestern, Minnesota-OR-Purdue
-- Tier 3: Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana, Illinois, Purdue-OR-Minnesota

Maybe the math doesn't work perfectly, but you get the idea. Nobody gets loaded permanent rivals, and nobody gets cakewalk permanent rivals.

I believe not official ... yet. Next B1G wigs meeting will be June 8th ...... I think

Fbschedules.com ..... used to be full schedule last week (12 games). Now only 3 non-conference games.

Last edited:
I like that it makes the conference more agile, from an expansion standpoint. Let's say we added Notre Dame and Kansas (pipe dream, right?). That scenario "works" because you could easily add the Irish to the East and the Jayhawks to the West, and you largely preserve the balance, etc.

But what about adding KU+ISU? Or Notre Dame + Pitt? Do you swing Purdue to the East? Flip Indiana to the West? What about a pod model?

There's a lot of unanswered questions, and you sort of pre-think your selection based on keeping divisions intact. It's like trying to hire your next employee to fit the XL polo shirt uniform you already have in the back closet. Instead, you go get the best candidate and then figure out the uniforms and team shift schedule.

Same principle here. By de-emphasizing the divisions, the B1G is free to pursue whoever - and it needn't be in pairs. Who says we can't have a 15-team Big Ten by simply adding Kansas? Or a 17-team conference by adding KU, KSU and ISU? When you're simply ensuring each team gets 2-3-4 protected rival games per year, you're really freed up to add conference members without too much problem.

Also, by fielding a #1 vs #2 CCG, you give your eventual champion A LOT more momentum in the post season. Often times, you'll have two (or three) much better teams in one division, playing against the "champion" from the other division. Here's several examples:

1996 Big XII: #6 NU vs #8 Colorado (instead of #23 Texas)
1997 Big XII: #2 NU vs #8 KState (instead of #20 A&M)
1999 Big XII: #3 NU vs #6 KState (instead of #21 Texas)
2001 Big XII: #5 Texas vs #6 Oklahoma (instead of #9 Colorado [champ] or #8 Nebraska)
2007 Big XII: #4 Mizzou vs #7 Kansas (instead of #8 Oklahoma)
2010 Big XII: #6 Oklahoma vs #13 OkState (instead of #20 Nebraska)

2012 B1G: #24 Michigan vs #25 Nebraska (both from Legends division. OSU and PSU on probation)
2014 B1G: #1 Ohio State vs, #5 MSU (instead of #13 Wisconsin)
2015 B1G: #6 MSU vs #4 Ohio State (instead of #9 Iowa)
2016 B1G: #7 PSU vs #6 Ohio State (instead of #9 Wisconsin)
2021 B1G: #3 Michigan vs #6 Ohio State (instead of #23 Iowa)

Note how in many cases, the drop between Team #2 and Team #3 is very large. Last year we got a lopsided beatdown of Iowa by the Wolverines, but the Buckeyes still managed to get into the CFP. Imagine if the B1G CCG was Michigan-Ohio State instead. The winner of that game would likely have been a #1 or #2 seed in the CFP, instead of Ohio State getting clobbered by Alabama. Getting two high level teams into your CCG provides a massive boost for the conference in terms of CFP and Bowl Selection. Even if your individual team loses, you still want the B1G represented in the CFP, Rose Bowl, Orange Bowl, etc.
All about the $$$$. And about 6 teams controlling the CFP. No more traditional rilvaries. Rich get richer. Everyone else sucks hind tit. Portal will ensure top 6 will poach anyone they need to stand above any wannabes.
Unless something changes looks like we'll probably get a steady diet of the former East Division playing the East Division for CCG? Guess we can say teams from the West need to improve but it sure gut shoots a lot of teams from the West who will really need to forget about getting to the CCG or the Rose Bowl? Obviously conference schedules would play a major part of teams chances to make the CCG. As it is now I don't see any advantage for say Meechicken or PSU playing OSU every season. :Lol:

I suspect we well might see many rematch games!

If the Big Ten does go to a 3-5-5 schedule, which three teams would you like to see be locked in ?

Hawkeyes?​
Gophers?​
Badgers?​
NW?​
I prefer Rutgers, Hoosiers and Illini ;)

:Popcorn::Popcorn::Popcorn:
Which three would I like to see locked in for the Huskers? I live in the NW Chicago suburbs, so for personal reasons, I'd like to see NW, Wisconsin, and Illinois (or Purdue). :) They are all within a 3-1/2 hour drive.

Which three would I like to see locked in for the Huskers? I live in the NW Chicago suburbs, so for personal reasons, I'd like to see NW, Wisconsin, and Illinois (or Purdue). :) They are all within a 3-1/2 hour drive.
Seriously NW and Illinois/Purdue?

Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota are no brainers … and this is a guy who lives in WI.

Seriously NW and Illinois/Purdue?

Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota are no brainers … and this is a guy who lives in WI.
LOL. Yes, @Hooked on Huskers asked us all which three teams we would like to see locked in. I said (for personal reasons) "I" would like to see those three teams. Those are games I can drive to easily. It had nothing to do with which would be the best opponents, just the three closest to me (Illinois and Purdue are almost identical driving distance, so they're a toss-up).

The issue of having a 'weak' conference champion seems to have been exaggerated a lot lately. But I think this move away from division must be seen as necessary if you tie an automatic bid into the post-season to the conference championship. That all seems fine with me.

If Nebraska had kept being Nebraska when they joined the Big 10, I don't think the Big 10 would have had any worries here. You'd have Wisconsin and Nebraska vying for the division leader, with teams like Iowa and Northwestern trying to sneak in. Championship games between OSU vs Nebraska would have happened multiple times. That had the potential for a great rivalry.

Nebraska, Iowa and Wisconsin will lose the most with scuttling divisions. If the schedule is anywhere close to balanced (as in, Nebraska gets an equal share of (for example) Rutgers, Maryland and Indiana as much as Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State it will be fine. I don't really care what the rules are, but I'd like to see Nebraska vying for the championship game berth past the mid-point of the season.

One thing I'm a little disappointed about, is the auto-bid thing. Until you were mathematically eliminated from your division crown, you had a path to the national championship (theoretically, if they did auto slots for conference champs). But with no divisions, teams will get eliminated earlier in the year, making the drama of staying alive in the race less compelling.

Finally, even though there will be less OOC games, hopefully they can be scheduled against quality opponents if we're (eventually) shifting to auto bids for the conference champs. They won't be hurt by losing to a high quality OOC foe in September. Much rather see those games than Bethune Cookman. Maybe even the SEC would feel free to stop scheduling those late season scrimmage games.
Those of us who live in SEC Territory understand like most of us the early losses in the season do not count as much against anyone as late season losses and that’s why the schools in that conference schedule pansies the last 2 to 3 games of the year so they can be assured of a bowl bid!

Those of us who live in SEC Territory understand like most of us the early losses in the season do not count as much against anyone as late season losses and that’s why the schools in that conference schedule pansies the last 2 to 3 games of the year so they can be assured of a bowl bid!
Scheduling a “pansie” late in the year is also a defacto bye week.

What is easier and less cost to the normal fan is rarely taken into consideration to the people making these decisions. I see no reason for that to start now. You aren't an important fan unless you are a "supporter of substance". Those are the only fans whose desires will be considered.

I think dropping the East and West divisions will hurt Nebraska. The West is not a good division and our ineptitude has been our biggest roadblock. With that being said, the Big 10 crossovers have been terribly unfair since joining the B1G, so who knows how it will play out.

I think dropping the East and West divisions will hurt Nebraska. The West is not a good division and our ineptitude has been our biggest roadblock. With that being said, the Big 10 crossovers have been terribly unfair since joining the B1G, so who knows how it will play out.
No doubt. "Best teams" in CCG ..... now added Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State. In other words, bye bye Huskers ..... and probably Iowa & Badgers too.

Anyway, I can't wait until 3-5-5 schedules. How soon? I assume locked schedule (every year) .... Nebraska-Iowa-Wisconsin-Northwestern or Minnesota. And searching one more non-conference foe from 3 to 4.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back