• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked B1G Nears Massive Payday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husker Mort

Heisman
5 Year Member
It has been reported this morning that ESPN has bought the second half of the conference's first-tier media rights package for $190M per annum over the next six years. Together with FOX's earlier reported deal, the conference will be bringing in $2.64Bn in media rights over that same time frame, beginning in the fall of 2017.

Split evenly (and assuming no additional programs are added to the mix), that means that each school's cut of the first-tier rights (alone) will be $31.4M. Now, let's add in all of the other fringe benefits:

BTN + Other Rights: $12.5M/program/year
CFB Playoff: $4.7M
NCAA: $4.4M
B1G Tourney (MBB) and Championship Game (FB): $740K
Total per program per annum: $53.74M*
*figure assumes equal revenue distribution, which won't be the case until at least 2018; Nebraska becomes a full revenue partner in 2017

In exactly a decade, the Nebraska athletic department will have increased its conference revenues 591%.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2016/06/20/Media/ESPN-Big-Ten.aspx
http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/big...ia-revenues-skyrocket-thanks-new-tv-deal.html
http://www.omaha.com/huskers/nebras...cle_48adc24b-44f6-5bd8-ae62-3affc90e4c86.html
http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/13032/unequal-revenue-sharing-will-remain

...and perhaps the most brilliant stroke of all, is that these relative short-term deals (6 years) both expire around the same time that other major sports media deals will.

Delany may have strategically tried to line up the next deal close to when NFL deals expire with CBS, Fox and NBC after the 2022 season when, theoretically, more money could be available in the market.

Additional evidence that the Big Ten signed a shorter-term deal hoping to cash in sooner next decade: The reported deal would expire before the existing agreements of the four other Power Five conferences.

The Big 12’s contracts with ESPN and Fox expire after the 2024-25 season. The Pac-12 deal expires in 2023-24. The SEC and ACC have agreements that go into the 2030s.
http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...orted-short-new-tv-deal-with-fox-makes-sense/

Last edited:

If watching a Big 10 football game wasn't equivalent to watching paint dry, life as an NU fan would be pretty good.

If watching a Big 10 football game wasn't equivalent to watching paint dry, life as an NU fan would be pretty good.

See now we were getting along so well in the other thread, then you go and say something like this. Lets go down our list of exciting games last year. (remeber exciting does not always mean winning) BYU, NWU, Wisky, MSU, and our bowl game. The is 5 games for one team alone that were nail biters right to the end.

Oh I forgot Miami so 6 games.

Split evenly (and assuming no additional programs are added to the mix), that means that each school's cut of the first-tier rights (alone) will be $31.4M. Now, let's add in all of the other fringe benefits:

BTN + Other Rights: $12.5M/program/year
CFB Playoff: $4.7M
NCAA: $4.4M
B1G Tourney (MBB) and Championship Game (FB): $740K
Total per program per annum: $53.74M*
*figure assumes equal revenue distribution, which won't be the case until at least 2018; Nebraska becomes a full revenue partner in 2017

Question here for anyone that knows. I know that Nebraska was not a full revenue partner when they joined the B1G, but I thought I heard that when Maryland and Rutgers joined the conference they were immediately equal revenue sharing partners. Is that the case, so the only "inequality" that exists today is Nebraska? If so, why? Seems like a lot of money that Nebraska is not getting the last couple of years and next couple.

Yeah we should still be in the Big 12 watching them pass it around like a bunch of stoners with a well-lit bong. :Biggrin:

Yeah you know it sort of cracks me up that the same people who say, "You can't pass the ball in NE." Also say "We should be in the 7 on 7 passing league known as the Big 12."

See now we were getting along so well in the other thread, then you go and say something like this.

The only people that get along with you are the people that agree with you. That's on you, not everyone else. Not sure why you need to be so insecure.

Lets go down our list of exciting games last year. (remeber exciting does not always mean winning) BYU, NWU, Wisky, MSU, and our bowl game. The is 5 games for one team alone that were nail biters right to the end.

Oh I forgot Miami so 6 games.

1. Half of those games weren't Big 10 games

2. Nebraska doesn't have to be a participant for a game to qualify as a Big 10 football game

3. Tangents are your friend

As I recall, at least with Maryland, they got more money up front but won't be full revenue until much later. They needed the money early because their athletic department had a lot of debt and frankly, the Big Ten wanted them more at the time. We got less than Maryland at first but we'll be full next year. Maryland won't. I don't remember what Rutgers' deal was. We did not have a strong negotiating position when we joined.

The only people that get along with you are the people that agree with you. That's on you, not everyone else. Not sure why you need to be so insecure.

1. Half of those games weren't Big 10 games

2. Nebraska doesn't have to be a participant for a game to qualify as a Big 10 football game

3. Tangents are your friend

As to the bolded I believe that is true of everyone? Also the comment you are referencing was a joke sorry you did not take it that way. But What ever.

responses to your list.
1. If at least 1 team in the game is from the B1G then it is a B1G game. Erego, since NE played in those games and NE is in the B1G, they were B1G games.
2. I am aware of that so what is your point. They just happen to be the team that I follow so it is easier for me to recall what exciting games they were in. I am sure the other teams also had exciting games but I do not know them off the top of my head.
3. Pot meet Kettle, Kettle meet Pot.

Last edited:

As I recall, at least with Maryland, they got more money up front but won't be full revenue until much later. They needed the money early because their athletic department had a lot of debt and frankly, the Big Ten wanted them more at the time. We got less than Maryland at first but we'll be full next year. Maryland won't. I don't remember what Rutgers' deal was. We did not have a strong negotiating position when we joined.

Which isn't bad. Frankly I think the B1G got less star power in the program out of Nebraska than they bargained for, so far.

Last edited:

Agree on all your points. Some $11.6 million of Maryland’s dollars were an advance on future payments, intended to help Maryland make good on the $31 million penalty it owed for leaving the Atlantic Coast Conference. It was also based on the amount Maryland would have received staying in the ACC while ours was based on the Big 12. Heck at the time no one knew for sure there was going to be a B12 so we were not in a great position to negotiate more money.

Bottom line is we're in for a HUGE payday in 2017 and every year there after. I'm so so so so happy to see the Big 12 in our rearview mirror. Was a great deal for Nebraska all things considered IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back