• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked B1G laying more new years eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

That's an important thing to consider. Not only does the B1G play more ranked teams, the B1G teams are ranked lower in five of the six games. The Big XII has a ranked team playing an unranked team in three games, and the two games against ranked opponents are split: one where the Big XII is the higher ranked team, and one where the Big XII is the lower ranked team.

Nicely said.

I was actually most impressed with A&M's win. It looked like two somewhat evenly matched teams and A&M completely controlled the game.

I wasn't impressed withTop 20 Baylor struggling to beat unranked Washington (and giving up 56 points) nor was I too impressed with #24 UT beating unranked Cal by 11 points.

When you compare B1G bowl games to Big XII gowl games, you see that the B1G package of games is better. Overall, there are better bowl games, better dates, good locations, and quality opponents. ESPN just looks at wins and losses and declares a bowl games conference champion, but when you consider the competition, the records don't tell the full story. The B1G may be perceived as weak because of its annual bowl records, but when the conference is constantly placing its teams in good bowls, against quality opponents (many ranked higher than the B1G teams), the record will reflect that.

Something to remember is that the Big 12 seemingly facing "weak" bowl opponents is partially just a sign of the strength of the B12 conference. 60% of the Big 12 is ranked in the BCS top 25, that's more than any other conference (including the SEC, which also has six teams but that's only 50% of the conference).

The B1G is picking up right where they left off last year, and the year before that, and the year before that...Purdue struggles with a middling major program in western Michigan.

Iowa uncompetitive against OU.

NW dominated for 3 quarters by a&m.More to come unfortunately.

The B1G may be a lot of good things, but a football conference not so much.

OU was preseson #1 , i thought Iowa played lights out.
aTm was preseason #10..once again i thought NW played a great game.
Not sure where your football IQ is at this moment!!!!

OU was preseson #1 , i thought Iowa played lights out.
aTm was preseason #10..once again i thought NW played a great game.
Not sure where your football IQ is at this moment!!!!

I agree...I was very UNimpressed by OU and A&M...I actually thought that NW might pull off another A&M 2nd half collaps :Biggrin:

Something to remember is that the Big 12 seemingly facing "weak" bowl opponents is partially just a sign of the strength of the B12 conference. 60% of the Big 12 is ranked in the BCS top 25, that's more than any other conference (including the SEC, which also has six teams but that's only 50% of the conference).

So then why only 2 Top25 opponents? What does that have to do with the strength of the Big12?

SEC, with the same amount of ranked teams in the Top25, plays 5 ranked teams. Big12 plays 6 ranked teams .

I would think that would significantly help A&M. That would be like wondering if a bowl game in Omaha would benefit the Huskers.

I was at the game and yes, the place was packed with aTm fans. Houston is around 90 miles from College Station. It was a decided advantage for aTm. aTm looked like the tougher team to me. The the coaching staff did their best to give it away late. NW played horrible for 3 quarters and could not protect their QB.

I didn't see much ease with Baylor beating unranked Washington. Texas also didn't look to swell beating unranked California.

Of course, I said mostly... so yes, I agree with Baylor... however, Texas was only favored by 3 (both teams were 7-5 going in)... and the Horns won by 11. Could have been pretty easy for the Horns, who obviously always have higher aspirations than the Holiday Bowl, to pack it in. They didn't. Cal averaged 419 yards per game of offense... UT held 'em to 195.

5-1 in bowl games is 5-1. As I said, too many times the team that "should win," doesn't... because they simply aren't motivated enough in the lesser bowl games... i.e. Nebraska in the Holiday Bowl last season. I never question "taking care of business," and that's exactly what the Big 12 has done so far.

Last edited:
So then why only 2 Top25 opponents? What does that have to do with the strength of the Big12?

SEC, with the same amount of ranked teams in the Top25, plays 5 ranked teams.

Because for the most part, you have to play teams outside your conference. So since 6/8 of the B12 teams are ranked, if you're matched up against a Big 12 team, probably you're playing a ranked opponent. Whereas only 5/10 of the bowl-eligible B1G teams are ranked, 2/7 Pac 12 teams, etc.

And the Big 12 teams are playing whoever they're matched against and have won by 10+ in every game but one.

Actually the SEC only plays 3 ranked teams outside of the SEC.

Last edited:
All of the conference tie-ins to the bowls really skew the competitive balance. The 4th best teamin the Big 12 is pre-season #1 Oklahoma and I'm not sure who number 4 in the Pac-12 is this year and that's without excluding USC. Washington I guess.

As far as the Big Ten goes - should Purdue and Illinois be bowl teams??? They had less than impressive seasons. I think it's more of a commentary on how easy it is to get a bowl bid.

Actually the SEC only plays 3 ranked teams outside of the SEC.

Well, they also have 2 teams in the National Championship game. If they had just LSU in the game, then LSU would play a ranked team as would Alabama. It's hard to fault the SEC for that.

The Big12 doesn't have as lucrative of a bowl lineup as the Big10 or the SEC has. The Big10 and SEC play each other 3 times in bowl games, the Big12 only has the Cotton Bowl against an SEC team.

The Big12 has 6 teams ranked, the B1G has 5 ranked teams. I don't think that's a big enough difference to account for the 6 ranked teams the B1G faces as opposed to the 2 ranked teams the Big12 faces.

Last year, the Big12 had 5 teams ranked in the Top25 and they only faced 1 ranked opponent in the bowl season. Compare that to the B1G having 5 teams ranked in the Top25 this year and are facing 6 ranked bowl opponents.

The Big12 just doesn't have near as good, tough, or as well paying lineup of bowls as the B1G has, and I think that's the primary reason why the B1G has the tougher matchups.

Quick note: Big12 only faces 2 teams ranked in the Top35! And only 3 teams ranked in the Top40!

Last edited:
The Big12 plays just 2 ranked bowl opponents. The B1G plays 6. That's quite the difference. Unranked iowa losing to #14 ranked (and preseason #1 OU) was no surprise. They hung close for awhile.

Northwestern playing A&M in Dallas, TX and losing didn't surprise me either.

This.

That and couple the fact that besides Wisky, the B1G had a really big down year. Once tOSU, scUM and PSU get back in the cycle, people will be chattering about the conference again.

Well, they also have 2 teams in the National Championship game. If they had just LSU in the game, then LSU would play a ranked team as would Alabama. It's hard to fault the SEC for that.
I'm not "faulting" them, just saying the BCSC game tilts the stats. If LSU and 'Bama were lined up against OOC foes instead of each other, probably that would take away a ranked opponent or two from the B1G.

The Big12 doesn't have as lucrative of a bowl lineup as the Big10 or the SEC has. The Big10 and SEC play each other 3 times in bowl games, the Big12 only has the Cotton Bowl against an SEC team.
This I think is the key point. If the Big12 had tie-ins with stronger conferences, they'd be playing more ranked teams.

Quick note: Big12 only faces 2 teams ranked in the Top35! And only 3 teams ranked in the Top40!
Right, but they're winning by 10+ most of the time. They also face two teams in the top 6, and we'll see how that goes. I think the Big 12 is the strongest conference top-to-bottom, but if they lose those two games, that would change my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back